Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Kind of Shopper Are YOU?
Impulse shopper no matter what the cost 5 17.24%
Will wait forever till it's the lowest price possible even if it means it sells out before I get it 9 31.03%
Will wait till it at least goes on sale once (but not clearance, etc.) 13 44.83%
Try to get someone to buy it for me ASAP 0 0%
Buy now & hope it goes on sale soon so I can get the price adjustment, otherwise just keep it anyway 2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,686,242 times

Advertisements

Clearance shopper, and then, only if I must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 07:37 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,143,971 times
If I need it, I buy it. If it's a high ticket item, I search for the best deal. If I don't need it but like it and it's reasonably priced, I buy it. One thing I will not do unless I absolutely need a very specific thing and am hunting it down, I will not dig through a bunch of clothes jammed in so tight you can't pull something out to view it without taking 5 other things down with it. I will not fight the hangers. If it's not hung neatly with easy access, chances are I won't see it.
If I go someplace like TJMaxx or Marshall's, I only see the clothes they have hung around the outer edge of the clothing dept. I will dig through some household stuff tho, in that section. For whatever reason, I don't mind that kind of digging. Lately Belk is getting pretty bad about jamming stuff all together making it more difficult for me to find what I want and it looks more like a discount store.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,281,138 times
The boring kind. I don't go out of my way to shop sales. I don't go to department stores. I buy mostly things made in the USA from Karen Kane and Amour Vert and occasionally check out the sale racks at Chico's. At the beginning of November I'd spent all of $500 on clothes and shoes. Then I bought a pair of Lucchese boots. That doubled the total.

I'm probably done with clothes shopping for the year.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM

4,855 posts, read 3,661,661 times
I call myself an "alternative resource" shopper.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 4,499,033 times
When I find something I really like, I buy it. I don't care whether it's on sale or full price.

However, there are limits. Some nice things are waaay overpriced, and you're paying for the label rather than the item. I won't buy anything that's clearly a ripoff, like $2000 jeans.

Of course I enjoy finding good deals, but do not go out of my way to look for them, other than checking sale racks and going to discount stores like Marshall's. I have to really, really like an article of clothing to buy it.

Last edited by Sage 80; 11-19-2018 at 12:43 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 06:17 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,077,699 times
I'm on a rather strict budget therefore only buy what I really need. I pared down to one color scheme (black, grey, some navy). No brown anymore because it requires 2 sets of everything (brown plus black). If I need a big ticket item like a raincoat, I do a fair amount of research online and look through catalogs but usually go into the store to try things on and then buy the item that offers the best combination of price and necessary fit/features. I almost bought a North Face raincoat which was out of my budget in price but I wasn't finding what I wanted then I lucked out and found another raincoat of a competitor that was much nicer and bought that one. I don't like to buy trendy labels like North Face that everyone else buys because they tend to be more expensive. I also don't buy clothes online anymore if I can help it. I find that most of the clothing online has to be returned 90%--doesn't fit or isn't what I wanted. None of the catalogs have consistent sizing. I refuse to buy online in fact am planning to close out a credit card that I used for years at one store. Their clothing sizing is just too inconsistent.

I won't skimp on major tickets items like coats and shoes. If I need a new down coat or leather boots, I tend to buy the most quality item that I can afford within my budget and hold onto the item for years. For example, coats might come from Eddie Bauer or LL Bean; boots might be Clark's or Aerosoles. I don't go into Kohl's and buy a lot of trendy junk that has to get thrown out in a year. For pants or tops, I buy quality items in thrift stores with labels such as Banana Republic, Talbot, Ann Taylor.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
I have a few go to brands that I love and I know their sizing and what will fit me, so there's that. I wait for a sale though and sales are pretty regular. I rarely buy anything full price but I will very occasionally. I make up for it by buying some items used on eBay - LOL!

Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 AM

3,074 posts, read 2,062,732 times
Online shopper as much as possible since I hate wasting time wading through racks. So many other more fun things to do. Almost never find anything in clearance or on sale since I am apparently average size as every other woman in the world. Gave up looking at sale rack 30 years ago.

Shoes: I order 10-15 pairs at a time from one seller to find the one pair that fits and I like. Ship the rest back, sometimes free return shipping. I do not have average foot size at 10N and this size is never available in person and hard to find online.

Walmart supplies basics but if Target were in town would shop there instead.
I am the opposite of fashionista due to age and marital status (old and long married lol).
But I see many other 60-something women spending boocoo bucks on fancy clothes and jewelry to go to dinner.
Just not my thing (meaning fancy clothes, nice dinner is good to skip cooking).

I have some interesting clothes purchased on Ebay but that takes a lot of time to wade thru too.
Chico's is too fuddy duddy for me (60+) Shapeless and expensive. "Look I'm old and have money"
I have a lot of black clothes cuz they are easy to mix/match. I think I'm Euro in clothes mindset minus the scarves.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:07 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,387,824 times
It really depends what it is.

Casual clothing like t-shirts and jeans I tend to buy from the same retailer online. I'll wait for a sale to replenish.
Trendy stuff I won't pay full price and will typically buy it at some place like Old Navy or T.J. Maxx. I know I'll only wear it for a season or two before it's out of style. I got my wear out of $20 shirt from T.J. Maxx this year. I wore it a dozen or so times.
I only go to a business meeting every year or three so am more willing to pay full price for those items if I can't find something on sale. Even then, it's more business casual. I know business suit type pants aren't going to go out of style and paired with a cardigan, they look presentable.
For special occasions I generally have something specific in mind when I shop. That makes it hard sometimes though. I shop with a price in mind, but I am willing to go over it.

I rarely make impulse purchases or covet certain items these days.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,651,005 times
I never pay full price for clothes. I always wait for a sale, but it has to be at least 30% off for me to feel like I'm getting a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty