Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

I never use foundation, but I wouldn't say it's useless. I just don't find it necessary for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,470 times
I don't know, but when I go to Sephora, I can find a use for anything. Costs money? Waste of money? Yes, maybe, but those products have made my beauty-life easier. I could say tinted moisturizer is useless as you can just add some foundation to your moisturizer, but the manufacturer knows there are people who like convenience and started selling those. I could even make my own toothpaste and detergents at home, but forget that, too much work!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
1. lipstick is more greasy and not everyone has the skin type to use cream blush, that's why powder blush is very popular.
2. false eyelashes pull out your natural lashes and are tough to apply. Drugstore mascara works well and is cheap enough to toss after a couple of months.
3. vaseline can be goopier and adds no color. Most women I know like gloss with a small hint of color in it.
4. your skin is obviously a different color than mine. Brown eye shadow used for contouring would look like dirt on my face.
5. everyone gets old, I'm in my early 50s with no wrinkles. YMMV.

I agree with all of this.

I use different colors of blush to contour. Lipstick? No.

Eye shadow, by volume is much more expensive that blush. You get much smaller amounts of eye shadow than blush.

Vasaline is actually drying. No thanks.

I use Prevage and it has three retinols and yes, it does fix my wrinkles and face problems.

I don't think there are any 'useless' beauty products.

What one person swears by is a non factor for someone else.

That is okay.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Honestly, I'd say EVERY single "beauty" product is a fraud. In my opinion, the recipe for beauty is physical (eat well, drink lots of water), emotional (focus on the good in your life), and most importantly, spiritual.

"Man looketh on the outward appearance but the Lord looketh on the heart."

The older I get, the more I try to look past the physical, and look "on the heart."
This is true but at the same a little mascara, gloss and maybe a tinted moisturizer never hurt anyone. Makeup should just enhance what you have.

Right now I can't say which products would are useless. I don't use primer or an eye curler but I probably should.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I mentioned lip-liner as being useless, yet this morning I applied one to my entire lips as a base for a lip-gloss. Looked really nice. So today it was useful ... LOL!!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 AM

36 posts, read 37,647 times
I've never heard of using lipstick as blush. Wouldn't it feel...I don't know, caked on and thick? I'll stick to my powder blush.

I personally never use primer but mostly because I just don't really know exactly what it's for. I use a powder foundation because it's light, so wouldn't using a primer sort of make that pointless as it's liquid?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleBear View Post
I've never heard of using lipstick as blush. Wouldn't it feel...I don't know, caked on and thick? I'll stick to my powder blush.

I personally never use primer but mostly because I just don't really know exactly what it's for. I use a powder foundation because it's light, so wouldn't using a primer sort of make that pointless as it's liquid?
Nah, it doesn't. But, then, ya dab with a very light touch. Like you, I much prefer powder blush. But I do use lipstick instead when I travel (save space in my makeup bag).

Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
My skin is so reactive, if I tried to use lipstick as blush, I'd be all blotchy and red, I think. I wish I could do that! It would save space in my bag. Vaseline on my lips just makes me squirm, too. I have issues.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleBear View Post

The main issue with this (and the same issue with the "all-over color," 3-in-1, etc. sticks, some cream blushes), is smudging/staying power. Lipstick generally won't dry or set on your cheeks the way some cheek stains are formulated to do.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 AM

22 posts, read 18,621 times
The idea of the topic is great as it is not only useless but also dangerous for skin. You need to be merciful and kind to your skin. There are sensitive tissues with your skin. So what you use can impact enormously negative on the surface of the skin as well as beneath the skin. I can cite few beauty products that need your attention to consider before using. These are eyelash curlers, eye concealers. mascaras, sprays,serums and potions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty