Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
She can classify herself as human all she wants, but part of human nature is to put a label on things. Just as she's labeling herself as a wife, mother, veteran, she's also a BLACK woman.

And she'll be seen and treated as such. though I know, I know--racism doesn't exist. The US is just one big colorless society.
Let me just put it to you this way - she challenges peoples' stereotypes and expectations - and she enjoys doing so.

And she refuses to self identify as any one race - because it's ridiculous - she's not ONE RACE. So she makes it pretty inconvenient for anyone who tries to force their preconceived notions on her, and I'm proud of her for that.

By the way, she grew up in Texas and has lived in Idaho, Virginia, Arkansas, Louisiana, and the UK as an adult. She has stated emphatically that the place she experienced the most racism was the UK, and the place she's experience the least is Texas. She says that in Texas people really don't care what color she is and it's the place with the least "gotta put you in a box" mentality.

Just so you know.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:56 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me just put it to you this way - she challenges peoples' stereotypes and expectations - and she enjoys doing so.

And she refuses to self identify as any one race - because it's ridiculous - she's not ONE RACE. So she makes it pretty inconvenient for anyone who tries to force their preconceived notions on her, and I'm proud of her for that.

By the way, she grew up in Texas and has lived in Idaho, Virginia, Arkansas, Louisiana, and the UK as an adult. She has stated emphatically that the place she experienced the most racism was the UK, and the place she's experience the least is Texas. She says that in Texas people really don't care what color she is and it's the place with the least "gotta put you in a box" mentality.

Just so you know.
Well, as Kingsgambit showed, she's nor any other black man or woman are not challenging any stereotypes or expectations.

The society we live in loves to stereotype, and that's never gonna change.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
It's the reverse one drop rule.

Anything that makes black lighter, is no longer black.

It's a white woman trying to be black but we all know better.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Well, as Kingsgambit showed, she's nor any other black man or woman are not challenging any stereotypes or expectations.

The society we live in loves to stereotype, and that's never gonna change.
You haven't met her (at least I don't believe you have) so you really can't say whether or not she's challenging any stereotypes or expectations. That's the sort of thing that's only apparent in real life interactions.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
LOL. She'd be saying that to everyone she meets because its obvious that shes BLACK. People crack me up with their refusal to accept who they are, then get into "levels of blackness". Most of us all have mixed backgrounds. If I were preparing EEOC and OFCCP Reports for corporation (Bank, Investment firm, etc.) that is considered a government contractor, I'd put her down as "black/African American". She can claim whatever she wants, but in the eyes of most who see her - Black.
The beauty of it is that usually, YOU don't get to determine what box she marks. Thankfully, many forms these days offer "mixed race" or multiple choice so to speak. If a form doesn't offer those options, she just leaves that section blank.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 PM

So - how would you classify this person? (I'm just full of morbid curiosity -I want to stress that how strangers online classify her makes no difference in her personal life.)

Old 10-27-2014, 07:05 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Your friend is obviously mixed race, NOT black.

Also, African American and black DO NOT mean the same thing.
She and her family classify themselves as African-American and black. They use the words interchangeably. Who am I to tell them they're not what they think they are. Too bad you're not there to set them straight. And regarding that last post re: those female celebrities with light-skin. Nowhere did I say they were black or African-American. I simply was pointing out that these women are light in color, but are typically called "black women" in the USA.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:07 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
If she self-identifies with black, then she's black. If she self-identifies as Indian, she's Indian. I don't know where the OP lives, but her appearance is not unusual at all, for someone who may self-identify as black.
Sorry, but that's just PC garbage. People are what (or who) they are, not what (or who) they say they are. Reality is independent of an individual's perception of it. She's either black or she's not (which she isn't). She doesn't magically become black just because she says she is.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 PM

C-D - always so interested in racial categorizing.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You haven't met her (at least I don't believe you have) so you really can't say whether or not she's challenging any stereotypes or expectations. That's the sort of thing that's only apparent in real life interactions.
Well, since apparently she would automatically say "y'all be" or "i'm fenda," yeah, it's pretty safe to say that KingsGambit isn't the only person who feels that way towards blacks.

Just because KingsGambit decided to be politically correct and backtrack by saying she's a pretty black girl (girl from OP) doesn't take away from the stereotyping. And no amount of proclaiming to challenge stereotypes will change a persons mentality

And come on, you're on CD. Let's not pretend that there aren't folks out there who can't see past their own stereotypes and/or experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty