Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
I never saw a white person who tan look black afterwards. They still look like white people.
Seems like most who engage in tanning want to have that "Mediterranean" skin tone.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:11 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,502 times
I don't understand the hype, glorification, and obsession with White women in America. They make up over 70% of the population in this country. I could understand it a little if they were a rarity, but they are not. The fact that it is so easy to date White women is what makes this USB killer all the more strange. The guy made it seem as if being with a blonde is some major accomplishment in life, when it is so basic. Maybe its because he is half Asian. I remember posting on here in a different thread about how Asian men are obsessed with White women, and was basically dragged for it. I was put down and called names because I simply stated the obvious. I was correct in my assessment, and this entire USB massacre proves it. In this case, the obsession has left eight people deceased.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
I don't understand the hype, glorification, and obsession with White women in America. They make up over 70% of the population in this country. I could understand it a little if they were a rarity, but they are not. The fact that it is so easy to date White women is what makes this USB killer all the more strange. The guy made it seem as if being with a blonde is some major accomplishment in life, when it is so basic. Maybe its because he is half Asian. I remember posting on here in a different thread about how Asian men are obsessed with White women, and was basically dragged for it. I was put down and called names because I simply stated the obvious. I was correct in my assessment, and this entire USB massacre proves it. In this case, the obsession has left eight people deceased.
You stated the truth but we are often penalized for doing so.

For non-white men, the ability to get white women represents access to privilege. Their privilege. They are often viewed by non-white men as a trophy of sorts. Just think about how many threads have been created on this site by Asian, Indian and black men lamenting their inability to attract white women as mates.

And particularly for white Americans, "blonde" white women are the pinnacle of desirability. Even by merely describing a white woman as "blonde haired, blue eyed" the assumption is made that the woman is attractive even if she has the face of a pug and the body of a linebacker.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You stated the truth but we are often penalized for doing so.

For non-white men, the ability to get white women represents access to privilege. Their privilege. They are often viewed by non-white men as a trophy of sorts. Just think about how many threads have been created on this site by Asian, Indian and black men lamenting their inability to attract white women as mates.

And particularly for white Americans, "blonde" white women are the pinnacle of desirability. Even by merely describing a white woman as "blonde haired, blue eyed" the assumption is made that the woman is attractive even if she has the face of a pug and the body of a linebacker.
Asian and Indian men are priviledged in the U.S. They are preferred in the job market. They are sought out for the highest paying jobs in this country. They are preferred in majority White American colleges, they are preferred in majority White neighborhoods. They are considered highly intelligent by many who question the intelligence of Black people at every turn. To hear and read about so many complaining about not being able to attract White women as some type of slight on their humanity is just too much. The deck is stacked so amazingly in their favor that I do not understand their issues. The inability to attract White women appears to be their only 'flaw' in American society. As for threads created, they are overwhelminly by Asian and Indian men. I can walk out my front door and trip over Black men and White women couples, or Mexican men and White women couples, so clearly not all men of color have this problem. Also, Native American men have no problem attracting White women either. The million dollar question is Why don't White women date Asian men as much? I am of the mind that they truly don't have to, but it is simply a question that remains unanswered no matter who asks it. The White women who have so much to say about interracial dating and marriage to other groups of men are just strangly silent about their lack of attraction to Asian men. The USB killer wrote an entire manifesto, and created numerous videos for all to see about this topic, and the group of women he is fixtated on remain silent. This guy was plotting to murder and entire sorority house filled with White women because they would not date him, and White women remain silent. Just...wow.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Asian and Indian men are priviledged in the U.S. They are preferred in the job market. They are sought out for the highest paying jobs in this country. They are preferred in majority White American colleges, they are preferred in majority White neighborhoods. They are considered highly intelligent by many who question the intelligence of Black people at every turn. To hear and read about so many complaining about not being able to attract White women as some type of slight on their humanity is just too much. The deck is stacked so amazingly in their favor that I do not understand their issues. The inability to attract White women appears to be their only 'flaw' in American society.

As for threads created, they are overwhelminly by Asian and Indian men. I can walk out my front door and trip over Black men and White women couples, or Mexican men and White women couples, so clearly not all men of color have this problem. Also, Native American men have no problem attracting White women either. The million dollar question is Why don't White women date Asian men as much? I am of the mind that they truly don't have to, but it is simply a question that remains unanswered no matter who asks it. The White women who have so much to say about interracial dating and marriage to other groups of men are just strangly silent about their lack of attraction to Asian men. The USB killer wrote an entire manifesto, and created numerous videos for all to see about this topic, and the group of women he is fixtated on remain silent. This guy was plotting to murder and entire sorority house filled with White women because they would not date him, and White women remain silent. Just...wow.
So much truth written here^^^.

In general, Asian and Indian men have financial and economic success in the US which most comes from owning their own businesses, medical practices and jobs in tech or STEM. And despite being characterized as model minorities, Asians tend to have difficultly climbing the corporate ladder (The Bamboo Ceiling). And despite all of the achievement and financial success, Asian and Indian men do not have social privilege.

Generally speaking, what helps black men attract white women is the myth/stereotype of the "bbc" and Hispanic men have the stereotype of being the suave "Latin lover." Asian men have been stereotyped as having the opposite issue. And let's be honest, people decide their whether or not to date other races/ethnicities based upon stereotypes.

Lastly, the reason that the objects of the UCSB killer's desire have been largely silent is because they are used to being seen as the trophy worth dying for. They are the most highly valued in our society. When one of them goes missing the whole world stops to search for them (JonBenet Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart, Natalee Hollaway) Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
No reason to think so. There is nothing inherently more desirable about white women than any other group of women.
Next time you are at a newsstand, stop and look at the magazine covers. Out of 50 you'd be hard pressed to see 2 of what today is considered "women of color". This is all the more interesting in that the publishers are most likely hard core liberals who worship diversity and accuse others of intolerance but when it comes to their own bottom line they know what sells.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
So many things to comment on here, but people have addresses lots of what I was planning to say. One thing that hasn't been discussed, is how we assign certain positive twits, particularly to whiteness and white women.

It isn't just that white women have been promoted as a standard of beauty, they have also been promoted as the epitome of class, elegance and femininity. These leaves everyone else as the polar opposite of those traits, and someone preferring the opposite of these traits is seen as subversive.

Now back to asian men (and I am going to lump east and south asian together for this purpose), I want all of you to think about any portrayal in pop culture where the "Asian guy" was seen as sexy, attractive, popular, the ladies man, etc. Asian men have had their sexuality erased in the mass media, and what is the best way to reclaim it? Score the "most sexy" type of woman.

Stereotyping is bad, whether those stereotypes are positive or negative.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So much truth written here^^^.

In general, Asian and Indian men have financial and economic success in the US which most comes from owning their own businesses, medical practices and jobs in tech or STEM. And despite being characterized as model minorities, Asians tend to have difficultly climbing the corporate ladder (The Bamboo Ceiling). And despite all of the achievement and financial success, Asian and Indian men do not have social privilege.

Generally speaking, what helps black men attract white women is the myth/stereotype of the "bbc" and Hispanic men have the stereotype of being the suave "Latin lover." Asian men have been stereotyped as having the opposite issue. And let's be honest, people decide their whether or not to date other races/ethnicities based upon stereotypes.

Lastly, the reason that the objects of the UCSB killer's desire have been largely silent is because they are used to being seen as the trophy worth dying for. They are the most highly valued in our society. When one of them goes missing the whole world stops to search for them (JonBenet Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart, Natalee Hollaway) Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

When I think of social priveledge, I think of a family moving into a neighborhood, and not have 'for sale' signs begin popping up because the perception of home values dropping due to their presence. The neighbors stay put. That is social priviledge. It is being 45% or higher of a college population, and have that school maintain its prestige when your group is nearing the majority's population of the student body. That is social priviledge. It is getting employment in good paying jobs, and not be considered a 'diversity' hire who is taking the spot of an individual from the group that many of your co-workers think truly belongs there. Asians are always thought to be completely qualified. It is just a basic perception that follows them. That is social priviledge.

I find it problematic that the main attraction that White women have to Black and Latino men is sexual, and that the main reason they are not attracted to Asian men is sexual. Is the heart, mind, and soul of a man not attractive to them? Is it all about sex? Its just disturbing that so many men are perfectly fine with being considered only good for sex. It seems like such an insult.

As far as White women being highly valued, it is a result of non-White women being de-valued in society. I don't understand how a group can be content with that.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
When I think of social priveledge, I think of a family moving into a neighborhood, and not have 'for sale' signs begin popping up because the perception of home values dropping due to their presence. The neighbors stay put. That is social priviledge. It is being 45% or higher of a college population, and have that school maintain its prestige when your group is nearing the majority's population of the student body. That is social priviledge. It is getting employment in good paying jobs, and not be considered a 'diversity' hire who is taking the spot of an individual from the group that many of your co-workers think truly belongs there. Asians are always thought to be completely qualified. It is just a basic perception that follows them. That is social priviledge.
Despite their high academic achievement in college, Asians face the well-documented "Bamboo Ceiling" in the corporate world.

What Happens to All the Asian-American Overachievers When the Test-Taking Ends? -- New York Magazine

Author, N. Va. native Helen Wan on the ‘bamboo ceiling’ - The Washington Post

Why Aren't There More Asian-American Leaders? - Forbes

Bamboo ceiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I speak of a lack of social privilege I am referring to the overall lack of social status regarding Asian men. Earning higher incomes does not increase the social desirability of Asian men, in general. They are not usually included amongst the social circles of the upper income earners in this country.

Quote:
I find it problematic that the main attraction that White women have to Black and Latino men is sexual, and that the main reason they are not attracted to Asian men is sexual. Is the heart, mind, and soul of a man not attractive to them? Is it all about sex? Its just disturbing that so many men are perfectly fine with being considered only good for sex. It seems like such an insult.

As far as White women being highly valued, it is a result of non-White women being de-valued in society. I don't understand how a group can be content with that.
And this is one of the main reasons why the divorce rate is so high for the marriages of these specific couplings.

A 2008 study by Jenifer L. Bratter and Rosalind B. King conducted on behalf of the Education Resources Information Center examined whether crossing racial boundaries increased the risk of divorce. Using the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth (Cycle VI), the likelihood of divorce for interracial couples to that of same-race couples was compared. Comparisons across marriage cohorts revealed that, overall, interracial couples have higher rates of divorce, particularly for those that married during the late 1980s. The authors found that gender plays a significant role in interracial divorce dynamics: According to the adjusted models predicting divorce as of the 10th year of marriage, interracial marriages that are the most vulnerable involve White females and non-White males relative to White/White couples.

Last edited by calipoppy; 06-01-2014 at 11:40 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So many things to comment on here, but people have addresses lots of what I was planning to say. One thing that hasn't been discussed, is how we assign certain positive twits, particularly to whiteness and white women.

It isn't just that white women have been promoted as a standard of beauty, they have also been promoted as the epitome of class, elegance and femininity. These leaves everyone else as the polar opposite of those traits, and someone preferring the opposite of these traits is seen as subversive.

Now back to asian men (and I am going to lump east and south asian together for this purpose), I want all of you to think about any portrayal in pop culture where the "Asian guy" was seen as sexy, attractive, popular, the ladies man, etc. Asian men have had their sexuality erased in the mass media, and what is the best way to reclaim it? Score the "most sexy" type of woman.

Stereotyping is bad, whether those stereotypes are positive or negative.

Maybe its a case of thinking the grass is greener on the other side becuase for a significant number of White guys, its Asian women who are considered the epitome of class, elegance and femininity. This is another topic that people like to remain silent about. The very large number of interracial couples comprised of White men and Asian women. Now on this, I can understand why Asian men would be quite angry or at least frustrated. I don't really care, but I do understand. In fact, the USB killer was a product of such a union, and seemed to have a problem with being half-asian. Apparantly the sons of White men and Asian women pairings have profound identity issues. I don't care about Asian men being erased in the media. They basically have it made in real life, in American society. They have it made in employment, education, and housing. Also, for all this talk about them being rejected by women, they tend to have very high marriage rates, despite the enormous interracial marriages of Asian women in the U.S. Their tales of social persecution are just that. A lot of tall tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.