Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM

389 posts, read 693,588 times

Advertisements

Men tend to be brawnier, taller, and carry all their weight in the stomach (which can be hidden). Women already have a higher percentage of fat than do men. I think that's skewing your perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,705,280 times
I don't know how new or old this is.. 2012?

Overweight and Obesity Rates for Adults by Gender

Overweight and Obesity Rates for Adults by Gender | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

United states Male 69.9% Female 57%

Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 AM

686 posts, read 1,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think your opinion gets in the way of facts.

There ARE fat men... they are not all buff, muscular and athletic as you state.
And, believe it or not, there are women who are buff, muscular and athletic!
I get what JayF was trying to say. If someone did travel from old times into todays world they WOULD see a huge difference in the way men are built now compared to how they were back in the 50s or earlier. Just look at any footage of professional basketball players from the 50s and compare to what todays players look like. A time traveler would say "OMG look at how big and muscular people are!!". Same as with women. They would look at the women of today compared to women of yesteryear and would say "OMG look at how fat women are". I mean, I get it. I see what he is trying to say.

Guys really do have it easier than women because with us guys, we get a pass on being a bit overweight because we not only carry it well, but we can hide it with the way we dress.

Oh, and believe me, there ARE a lot more fit/buff (i.e., sexy) women today. I do crossfit, am a trainer, go running, and can confirm that there are a LOT of women who do look extremely fit/good.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:31 AM

260 posts, read 338,302 times
Add me to the list of people who thinks the stats are right but men can hide their weight better than women can, to a point. Once you're 50 or more pounds overweight I think it doesn't matter anymore - anyone will look obese.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:13 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,705,134 times
I definitely see more overweight men than women and, interestingly, far more online criticism of female than male obesity problems.

Women also seem to be more concerned about developing healthy eating habits.

Who knows, since excess poundage contributes to illness and untimely death, maybe those males who deny are more likely to get sick and die earlier. Society can play gender games, but you can't fool Mother Nature.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,835,764 times
I haven't noticed much difference between the sexes, but I notice among YOUNGER people it does seem there are more fat women, but I don't know if the stats bear this out. There are plenty of fat old men, though, for sure.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,367 times
This article cites a CDC study and breaks it down; while nationally the rates are level, it varies greatly by certain demographics. White men tend to be fatter than white women, but black women are way fatter than black men. Also, more affluent populations have fatter men, while poorer ones have fatter women.

Here

Also, with regards to looks, there are both men and women who might be "secretly obese": It's real easy for a muscular guy who played football back in the day to put on 10-20 and be over the 30 bmi, and a lot of women who carry their weight a certain way are obese but don't look it.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
I tend to see more fat women than men. That's surprising that the rate is higher in men.
I'm kind of surprised too, since I also notice more fat women. Then again, men don't wear stretch pants and tight jeans and call attention to it the way women do.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,917,791 times
It's easier for a fat man to buy clothes that still look normal...go in a store and they will have up to a 2x shirt and 44 waist pants in the regular section. For a woman, if your waist is 36 inches or bigger (a size 18), you're stuck with the plus-size section and good luck finding clothes that just look normal.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,786,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Fatness has been a mark of the beauty, healthyness and richness in history. There was a time when face had to shine fat before it was seen pretty.

Things change, nothing interesting going on. Fat willl be appreciated again in future.

But people who never been interested how society tries to rank things are always happy and beautiful
how much do you weigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty