Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:28 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times

Advertisements

Breastfeeding my future young ones is very important to me, but I'm told it will make my breasts look pretty bad. Is there anything I can do while breastfeeding to keep them firm and perky, and is there anything I can do after I'm done having children to make them look right? I would even consider surgical options but not implants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
I'm honestly not sure there's much you can do. From what I remember, it's pretty much genetics and either good/bad luck! Also, you'll probably read that breastfeeding doesn't "cause" sagginess, but I think the jury's out.

I've had friends who swear bfing was the downfall of their boobs (pun intended!), others who didn't notice anything.

I bf'ed twins, and there was no change for me, fortunately!

Old 10-01-2007, 05:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
I don't think breastfeeding causes sagginess--at least, not for me.
I never really started sagging until I hit 50, and even then I'm not that bad.
Wearing a good bra and having good genes probably helps.
Getting into TMI territory:
One thing that did happen: my nipples, while they stayed the exact same small size and shape, did turn a bit darker, and stayed that way.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
They will be heavier and if you don't wear good support bras, the ligaments will stretch. And they don't return to the former site. I think they are called Cooper's Ligaments. Also, I have heard that if you always nurse lying down so the baby doesn't drag down on the boob, it won't stretch as bad. But that is usually inconvenient.

It's the added weight that's the problem. Women that are overweight and then lose a lot, have the same problem. Sag City!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,643 times
I went from a B cup to a DD cup while breastfeeding. I went back to a B/C cup after and they do sag now. I say they look like a partially deflated balloon. There is just extra skin now from being stretched out!
They still look good with a push up bra, but not much more you can do!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM

144 posts, read 824,875 times
Breastfeeding doesn't cause saggy boobs..at least in me it didn't...I nursed 4 of my 5 kids and I dont' have saggy boobs or hanging boobs. I think alot of it depends on genes and a good support bra. I wore a good support bra while preggers and then while nursing..even to bed...those suckers can get heavy when full of milk. I nursed each one of mine for a full yr and I was so hoping they would bounce back and they did!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
Sag comes from gaining weight and then losing it. That can happen with dieting, pregnancy, nursing, age, gravity....

Old 10-02-2007, 04:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Breastfeeding my future young ones is very important to me, but I'm told it will make my breasts look pretty bad. Is there anything I can do while breastfeeding to keep them firm and perky, and is there anything I can do after I'm done having children to make them look right? I would even consider surgical options but not implants.

That's a myth that is often spread by people who are just trying to be helpful, but are only repeating what the 'heard'.

Because women's breast look different after breast feeding, they assume that it was because of breast feeding. It's actually because of PREGNANCY.

There is nothing you can do. It's genetics. Some have it good, and some don't.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
Well your posts are a little reassuring. I will definitely be sure to wear really good, supportive bras. If you remember what brand you wore, please post!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Well your posts are a little reassuring. I will definitely be sure to wear really good, supportive bras. If you remember what brand you wore, please post!
I don't remember the brands, cause I was on a seriously tight budget at the time and bought what ever I could get.

I had two types that had a flap that would fold down from the bra strap. One used an eye-let hook, the other used a plastic snap. (these square pieces that fit together like a buckle on some backpacks.)

I recommend the plastic over the metal hooks for obvious reasons.

I also had all cotton ones, which when wet, soaked through my shirt really easy, AND did not dry that fast. Go with something that dries faster.

I can't recommend bra brands, but I can recommend breast pads.

I had a very abundant supply and leaked for about 9 months. All I had to do is hear a baby and sometimes I would have a letdown.

The best cheapy brand was Gerber. The best high end brand was definitely Lanisoh. I tried a few other brands but found the cotton in them would disintegrate and leave cotton balls all over my breast. I also didn't find them as aborbant.

When it came to breast milk storage bags, only Lanisoh will do, because the bags were really strong (did not pop microscopic holes in the freezer resulting in leaks better). They also have a double zip top which is handy in case you don't get the zipper closed perfectly.

If you want a breast pump, the Ameda Purely Yours electric pump, works as well as the Medela at half the price. Plus, it is a closed system, so it's a lot more sanitary. The Ameda is as cheap as a good manual pump, so you might as well go for it.

I'm sure I gave you more information than you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty