Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 12:09 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
After the runner's high, everything was effortless. I was in a semi-dream like state, and was skipping all the way to the end. In fact, I picked up my pace and passed numerous people during this stage. When I completed it, I felt like I could do another marathon.
That must have been a substance one of the factory workers mistakenly threw (while he was aiming at his own pocket) into the energy packet you must have consumed. I have never felt like that even in my best of days. Not a substance user, but I have had some thrilling moments and it never was like this. What brand of energy packet was this.....????? Me be interested in purchasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 02:44 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
That must have been a substance one of the factory workers mistakenly threw (while he was aiming at his own pocket) into the energy packet you must have consumed. I have never felt like that even in my best of days. Not a substance user, but I have had some thrilling moments and it never was like this. What brand of energy packet was this.....????? Me be interested in purchasing.
Haha know this is a joke, but this was years ago, and while those energy packs existed, it would not have occurred to buy them.

Instead, i had a small backpack with a lot of water mixed with creatine, l-citrulline, and beta alanine** as well as some salts (electrolytes). Basically any good pre-workout a body builder would use minus the stims. I did take a lot of caffeine and some adderall before but by the time of my high, would have left my system.

Creatine was first discovered in race horses, not sure why bodybuilders and gym rats use it, and not endurance athletes.

Beta alanine (gives you those tingles) helps improve muscular endurance. Again, not sure why bodybuilders regularly use it but not endurance athletes.

Old 02-28-2024, 05:36 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Ah, so you already applied and have heard back that got your lottery spot

You should be good. Just ramp up following the old 10% miles. Ideally do multiple 16-20 mile long runs but you have plenty of time to get there.
This is the best advice. Building up the long run over time is the best way to train. I ran three marathons. My best time was 3:49. I was 43 at the time, and 6'4" and around 200 lbs. All three marathons were early May races. I ran year round but would start serious marathon training the first week of January. I built up to my longest runs two weeks before the marathon. My longest runs were 22, 24 and 20 miles. I wouldn't attempt a marathon without building up to at least an 18 mile run. I agree with no more than a 10% increase in both total mileage and long run distance. My highest weekly mileage was 54 miles. I always did on interval workout on the track running either multiple 400, 800, 1200, or 1600 meter intervals. I would typically do 3 miles of intervals not counting slow recovery runs in between.

Old 02-28-2024, 06:31 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago33 View Post
I am considering running the Chicago Marathon in October but wanted to reach out about how likely it would be for me to do so.

Last March I suffered a fracture in my ankle while out on a run...
How did this happen, if you don't mind answering. Also, can we assume that the tendonitis is in the same foot?

Good luck with your training. I've heard that an anti inflammatory diet and PRP treatment could be helpful for your injury.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:51 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This is the best advice. Building up the long run over time is the best way to train. I ran three marathons. My best time was 3:49. I was 43 at the time, and 6'4" and around 200 lbs. All three marathons were early May races. I ran year round but would start serious marathon training the first week of January. I built up to my longest runs two weeks before the marathon. My longest runs were 22, 24 and 20 miles. I wouldn't attempt a marathon without building up to at least an 18 mile run. I agree with no more than a 10% increase in both total mileage and long run distance. My highest weekly mileage was 54 miles. I always did on interval workout on the track running either multiple 400, 800, 1200, or 1600 meter intervals. I would typically do 3 miles of intervals not counting slow recovery runs in between.
Yeah, doing a competitive marathon like the Chicago doesn't sound like an awesome experience though being much slower than about 3:30. Depends on age group and of course it's run your own race. The qualifiers are what they are and by 4 hours it's going to be pretty lonely out there, mostly 60+ men and 50+ women. It's a selective field and most of us are pretty competitive. Basically it's not a beginner friendly marathon. Not surprising since it's one of the six majors (Chicago, Boston, NY, London, Berlin, Tokyo). They tend attract some pretty serious runners with the exception of Tokyo which is semi-pro only, very limited international entrants and a 2:30 qualifying.

There's always buying the way in but among runners that's pretty frowned upon. I mean, if you buy your way in and are decently competitive that's one thing but the celebs buying up slots to run 4+ hour marathons for NY/Boston is predominantly seen as just taking away from a real runner who actually put in the effort to qualify. They put their work in. I've only done a two half marathons, best would barely squeak me in with the senior citizens. Mediocre high school runner versus NY marathon senior citizen =D

Last edited by Malloric; 02-29-2024 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, doing a competitive marathon like the Chicago doesn't sound like an awesome experience though being much slower than about 3:30. Depends on age group and of course it's run your own race. The qualifiers are what they are and by 4 hours it's going to be pretty lonely out there, mostly 60+ men and 50+ women. It's a selective field and most of us are pretty competitive. Basically it's not a beginner friendly marathon. Not surprising since it's one of the six majors (Chicago, Boston, NY, London, Berlin, Tokyo). They tend attract some pretty serious runners with the exception of Tokyo which is semi-pro only, very limited international entrants and a 2:30 qualifying.
No. As someone whose marathon time was slightly above 4 hours (no longer remember, but something like 4 hours and 4 or 5 minutes), I would say I was in the middle of the pack. This is among men, and I was in my early 40s when I ran the marathon.

If you push your time under 3 hours 30 minutes, you're elite. I do remember those runners, they were built like runners, and began right away at a fast pace, and didn't look like they were tiring.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:26 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
I ran the Pittsburgh Marathon three times. There is no qualifying time. I remember one of my goals was to finish in the top 50% and I did, maybe even the top 40% with a time of 3:49. I've noticed the average times keep getting slower. For example, in last year's Pgh Marathon, there were 1,911 male finishers. The time for male finisher number 955 in the middle of the pack was 4:20. There were 147 male and female finshers over 6 hours.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
No. As someone whose marathon time was slightly above 4 hours (no longer remember, but something like 4 hours and 4 or 5 minutes), I would say I was in the middle of the pack. This is among men, and I was in my early 40s when I ran the marathon.

If you push your time under 3 hours 30 minutes, you're elite. I do remember those runners, they were built like runners, and began right away at a fast pace, and didn't look like they were tiring.
3:30 is merely qualifying for a 60-year-old for NYC. Like I said, I'm slow too. My best half marathon times would only qualify for 65+ at NYC Marathon as well. Those were 20 years ago and I've got more than 20 more to go to 65

Elite for Chicago is sub 2:21, 2:30 for masters.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-29-2024 at 04:49 PM..

Old 02-29-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I ran the Pittsburgh Marathon three times. There is no qualifying time. I remember one of my goals was to finish in the top 50% and I did, maybe even the top 40% with a time of 3:49. I've noticed the average times keep getting slower. For example, in last year's Pgh Marathon, there were 1,911 male finishers. The time for male finisher number 955 in the middle of the pack was 4:20. There were 147 male and female finshers over 6 hours.
Yup, for comparison the qualifying time for Chicago for the 70-79 age bracket is 4:30.

Where do you want your first marathon to be, Chicago or something where it's more full of mortals?

Old 02-29-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
3:30 is merely qualifying for a 60-year-old for NYC. Like I said, I'm slow too. My best half marathon times would only qualify for 65+ at NYC Marathon as well. Those were 20 years ago and I've got more than 20 more to go to 65

Elite for Chicago is sub 2:21, 2:30 for masters.
Quote:
What is the average Chicago Marathon time by gender?
In 2022, the average mass-participation finish time for men was 4hr 13min 2sec and for women, it was 4hr 39min 46sec. Yes, that’s faster than London.
https://www.coachweb.com/fitness/run...-marathon-time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness