Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 07:48 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
"150-200 push ups each morning" is a great way to get an overuse injury.

That's probably a better machine than what is in my gym. We have a Magnum Supine Bench Press. Most people stick (5 or 10 lbs.) plates under where the handles come down because you must start from an awkward position.
By awkward do you mean the handles start low, below the chest? I always try to get the handles such my hands will be below my chest when i arch my back. That allows a nice (painful) stretch in my pecs and when i fail on the contraction i can do lengthened partials until my chest is on fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 09:08 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Ufff, that’s a lot of lumber region problems. What exercises have you tried for your lower back? I would make sure to keep my core strong to prevent further herniations. Easier said than done especially with that kind of pain. But the only way. What did you do on that initial ski trip in 91?
Intermittent pain is my only problem, not weakness. So far.

Skiing off piste at the Remarkables, then late in the day the resort decided to take a big blade and shear off our slope now in the shade at about shoulder height with no marking or warning. I was one of many that flew off. When I landed, my skis stuck and didn't move, as I bounced out of my skis scorpion style sliding on my chest. Coming to a stop right in front of the rest of our ski group. I stood up and said that I couldn't believe that I didn't get hurt. And then the next morning I couldn't get out of bed. Unfortunately this was before cell phone days, so no video recording. Everyone agreed that I would have won the America's Funniest Videos of the year!

Old 12-26-2023, 06:42 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,906 times
I appreciate the many good responses, thoughts and opinions being shared. I’ll be checking this thread from time to time to read more comments.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Anyone, especially anyone over 50 years of age with thoughts and opinions about this topic (Ha!)
and/or if they have dealt with any similar issues please leave your thoughts.
Speed Bag.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Intermittent pain is my only problem, not weakness. So far.

Skiing off piste at the Remarkables, then late in the day the resort decided to take a big blade and shear off our slope now in the shade at about shoulder height with no marking or warning. I was one of many that flew off. When I landed, my skis stuck and didn't move, as I bounced out of my skis scorpion style sliding on my chest. Coming to a stop right in front of the rest of our ski group. I stood up and said that I couldn't believe that I didn't get hurt. And then the next morning I couldn't get out of bed. Unfortunately this was before cell phone days, so no video recording. Everyone agreed that I would have won the America's Funniest Videos of the year!
Haha, I had a funny visual. I have broken my leg before skiing, but never hurt my back. In my case, I thought I was a better skier than I was and I tightened the bindings so they would not fall off, as I liked to do a lot of jumps and tricks. Well, at the very end of the skip trip (Freeway, Breckenridge) didn't get one leg to land at the right angle, ski blade slid into the snow, and since my binding wouldn't snap, my leg did lol.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:07 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
By awkward do you mean the handles start low, below the chest? I always try to get the handles such my hands will be below my chest when i arch my back. That allows a nice (painful) stretch in my pecs and when i fail on the contraction i can do lengthened partials until my chest is on fire.
Yes, I rarely see anyone using this machine without placing plates on both sides so the handles aren't as low.

Old 12-26-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Haha, I had a funny visual. I have broken my leg before skiing, but never hurt my back. In my case, I thought I was a better skier than I was and I tightened the bindings so they would not fall off, as I liked to do a lot of jumps and tricks. Well, at the very end of the skip trip (Freeway, Breckenridge) didn't get one leg to land at the right angle, ski blade slid into the snow, and since my binding wouldn't snap, my leg did lol.
Ouch! Skiing is dangerous.
The last significant 2 injuries I had were not of my doing. One was a groomer screw up last Dec., where they left a sudden large hole, unmarked, on a recently groomed, nearly flat green run. Ski Patrol was right behind me, intending to mark the hazard. My right shoulder just recently healed at one year. 2 years ago, after declining a double black with my kids due to a blizzard, I was carefully and slowly moving toward an easier run, when both ski tips hit the top of a now buried fence. Even going slow, it pitched me so quickly onto a hard flat surface, that I had zero time to protect myself, and landed directly on my chest. Breaking a rib.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Ouch! Skiing is dangerous.
The last significant 2 injuries I had were not of my doing. One was a groomer screw up last Dec., where they left a sudden large hole, unmarked, on a recently groomed, nearly flat green run. Ski Patrol was right behind me, intending to mark the hazard. My right shoulder just recently healed at one year. 2 years ago, after declining a double black with my kids due to a blizzard, I was carefully and slowly moving toward an easier run, when both ski tips hit the top of a now buried fence. Even going slow, it pitched me so quickly onto a hard flat surface, that I had zero time to protect myself, and landed directly on my chest. Breaking a rib.
I hate double black diamonds in the USA, they're all almost all wide open steep fields with moguls. I prefer off piste, especially incredibly steep passes through couloirs. Doing too many moguls slows you down and beats up the knees, on the + it's a good leg workout.

I will be going to Banff this January for some helicopter skiing. Sometimes knee high powder.

Old 12-28-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I hate double black diamonds in the USA, they're all almost all wide open steep fields with moguls. I prefer off piste, especially incredibly steep passes through couloirs. Doing too many moguls slows you down and beats up the knees, on the + it's a good leg workout.

I will be going to Banff this January for some helicopter skiing. Sometimes knee high powder.
Should be good. We've skied Louise a few times. Cheap.
And then heli off of Blackcomb and another week with Weigle. Weigle's real expensive. But 2 of the best ski days of my life!

Old 12-28-2023, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Should be good. We've skied Louise a few times. Cheap.
And then heli off of Blackcomb and another week with Weigle. Weigle's real expensive. But 2 of the best ski days of my life!
RK Heliski has great prices. I prefer the snow conditions in Banff compared to Blackcomb. More dry/fluffy powder. Weigle I never done, maybe next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness