Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 12:12 PM

33,299 posts, read 26,501,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Ha, 2-3% bodyfat before you "bulked" to 4-5% bodyfat? I think you're understating things a bit. Pro bodybuilders who have striated glutes and are on pharmaceutical cutting agents get down to 4-5%. 2-3% is potentially fatal. Abs show up around 12-14% for most people, and very few guys who are in local gyms are below 8%. No one, and I mean no one, is walking around at 2-3% regularly unless they have some sort of health condition or are experiencing extreme starvation.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Warm up thoroughly.
Don't overtrain.
Emphasize compound movements rather than isolation movements.
Stay away from PED's.
If you need extra time to recuperate, take it. If a certain exercise starts to get stale, change the way you are doing it or change to a different movement. The body adepts and progress stalls so you need to 'shake things up' every so often.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:53 PM

5,856 posts, read 4,190,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
That's a ridiculous statement. Bodybuilders brag about how much they can lift as much as the meatheads in the gym who try to impress everyone with how much they can lift. Go back and read how much Dorian Yates claimed to bench and squat when he was competing versus what he is saying in interviews now what his max was. Big difference, and he's not the only one.
My point is that bodybuilding isn't about what happens in the weight room. It's about what happens on stage. What happens in the weight room isn't itself the competition. Bodybuilders care about how they look on stage. The only reason they might talk about how much they can bench is because they're trying to make some point about their routine or how hard they work. A quarterback might brag about how much he benches, too, but it's an ancillary point to his quarterbacking. As bodybuilders, lift numbers are anicllary. No one thought they won the Olympia because they could bench more than Jay Cutler, who famously didn't go heavy. Cutler won, regardless of his lifts.

You didn't have 2-3% bodyfat, and I think professional athletes virtually never do. Maybe Andreas Munzer did, and his leanness was likely a direct contributor to his death. 2-3% bodyfat is an absolutely absurd claim, especially for someone who presumably wasn't on heavy doses of pharmaceutical cocktails and competing at the highest levels of bodybuilding. It would be like someone saying they used to bench 650 pounds raw when they were younger. While technically not impossible, if it were true, we'd probably know your name.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 04-29-2024 at 06:06 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 02:44 PM

956 posts, read 790,960 times
If you're under 50, if you can't do at least 6 reps without a spotter, don't lift it. For those over 50, bump that up to 9 or 10 reps.
Do more reps with lighter weight if you're over 50.
Stay consistent. Make your exercise program habitual for life. I've been working out for 45 years. I'm now 67 and still going every day unless I didn't sleep well (which is why I skipped today and am here on the computer), sick, or injured.
Keep the lower back strong, especially as you age.
Don't strain too much after age 50 on leg or abdominal exercises or any exercise that puts pressure on your abdominal wall unless you want a hernia (I learned the hard way). This includes hyperextending the back while doing 45-degree incline rows.
Stop twisting the weights when doing curls if you have problems with tendonitis in the elbow. Keep the hand stationary when doing underhand or hammer curls. Try using dumbbells instead of machines or bars. Roll up the wrist like you're throwing a bowling ball.

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
If you're under 50, if you can't do at least 6 reps without a spotter, don't lift it. For those over 50, bump that up to 9 or 10 reps.
Do more reps with lighter weight if you're over 50.
Stay consistent. Make your exercise program habitual for life. I've been working out for 45 years. I'm now 67 and still going every day unless I didn't sleep well (which is why I skipped today and am here on the computer), sick, or injured.
Keep the lower back strong, especially as you age.
Don't strain too much after age 50 on leg or abdominal exercises or any exercise that puts pressure on your abdominal wall unless you want a hernia (I learned the hard way). This includes hyperextending the back while doing 45-degree incline rows.
Stop twisting the weights when doing curls if you have problems with tendonitis in the elbow. Keep the hand stationary when doing underhand or hammer curls. Try using dumbbells instead of machines or bars. Roll up the wrist like you're throwing a bowling ball.
I disagree with the advice to use lighter weight for higher reps if you're over 50 if you mean ONLY use lighter weights. I'm 70 and go as heavy as I can, while also using lighter weights. But I believe that heavier weight for lower reps is an important part of training at any age.

Last edited by Michael Way; Yesterday at 12:45 PM..

Old Today, 11:55 AM

12 posts, read 1,192 times
Sure, although I wouldn't say I'm a professional bodybuilder, I've definitely been dedicated to building muscle mass and strength over the years. Here are some key things I've learned that helped me along the way:

Prioritize Proper Form: This might seem obvious, but it's crucial. Lifting weights with the wrong form can lead to injuries that will derail your progress. Invest in some personal training sessions initially to learn proper technique, or watch countless instructional videos online.

Progressive Overload: Your muscles need a constant challenge to grow. Gradually increase the weight you lift, the number of sets and reps you perform, or try new exercises to keep your muscles stimulated.

Compound Lifts: Don't underestimate the power of compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows, and overhead presses. These exercises work multiple muscle groups at once, leading to efficient muscle building.

Progressive Protein: Protein is the building block of muscle. Aim for 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight each day. This can come from a combination of lean meats, fish, eggs, dairy, and plant-based protein sources.

Rest and Recovery: Your muscles grow during rest, not during the workout itself. Make sure you're getting enough sleep (7-8 hours a night) and schedule rest days between training sessions to allow your body to recover and rebuild.

Track Your Progress: Keeping track of your workouts, weights lifted, and reps performed helps you stay motivated and gauge your progress.

Stay Hydrated: Water is essential for muscle function and recovery. Aim to drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially before, during, and after your workouts.

Be Patient and Consistent: Building muscle takes time and dedication. Don't get discouraged if you don't see results overnight. Stick to your workout plan, eat right, and be patient. You'll gradually see and feel the difference.

Drink creatine: This is the main supplement that is the most effective for building muscle. For example, in 2 months of taking creatine, I was able to gain 5 kg of pure muscle mass after a long stagnation.

Remember, everyone's body responds differently to training. It's important to find what works best for you and adjust your approach as needed. There are also many resources available online and in gyms to help you on your bodybuilding journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness