Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:38 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,343,967 times

Advertisements

Probably the Alps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 01:23 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,689,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Probably the Alps
Indeed they are really pretty, but again, compare to Himalaya or Karakoram or Andes it's just ridiculous... They win for accessibility, safety and villages tho

Seriously I wish Pakistan would be rich and stable (or safe), it's THE country of superlatives for mountains...

Old 09-18-2017, 01:51 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
I agree those are very beautiful places but let's face it, the British Isles are cloudy and all of this cloudiness adds up to their beauty.
The British Isles are NOT always cloudy, don't be so ridiculous!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The British Isles are NOT always cloudy, don't be so ridiculous!
They are very frequently cloudy and rainy. That's a fact, period. Nothing wrong about it, it gives the "british" look to the countryside, very relaxing IMO. But I'm not a sun addict after all.
What is unfair is to consider UK as the kingdom of fog. In fact it isn't that foggy, less than Benelux or North of France or East Europe:
see there https://atmos.washington.edu/CloudMa..._QJRMS2009.pdf

Old 09-18-2017, 07:55 AM

89 posts, read 67,219 times
I agree with the Alps and I also think of the Mediterranean and the coastlines along it. Southern France, Italy, Greece, Croatia, etc. Most of Europe's superlatives come from culture and architecture blending with natural scenery. There are probably others that are more unique but I see those as the defining ones. Granted, Europe is a lot smaller than most continents.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,343,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Indeed they are really pretty, but again, compare to Himalaya or Karakoram or Andes it's just ridiculous... They win for accessibility, safety and villages tho

Seriously I wish Pakistan would be rich and stable (or safe), it's THE country of superlatives for mountains...
I don't think the Alps compare to the Himalayas or the Andes or even the Rockies tbh. Europe excels at having well preserved historic downtowns, safety, and easy of access. But when it comes to nature there is nothing jawdropping on the level of the Himalayas or the Cataracts of Iguazu

Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times
Why are y'all comparing other continents' natural features when this thread is about Europe on the Europe forum?

Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
They are very frequently cloudy and rainy. That's a fact, period. Nothing wrong about it, it gives the "british" look to the countryside, very relaxing IMO. But I'm not a sun addict after all.
What is unfair is to consider UK as the kingdom of fog. In fact it isn't that foggy, less than Benelux or North of France or East Europe:
see there https://atmos.washington.edu/CloudMa..._QJRMS2009.pdf
So parts of the UK gets around 200 hours less sunshine than parts of the rest of Central and Northern Europe (notice its only parts), which amounts to 30 minutes difference a day and we are supposed to believe that this makes the countryside in the whole country 'gloomy'?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't think the Alps compare to the Himalayas or the Andes or even the Rockies tbh. Europe excels at having well preserved historic downtowns, safety, and easy of access. But when it comes to nature there is nothing jawdropping on the level of the Himalayas or the Cataracts of Iguazu
I saw Rockies in USA, they aren't impressive at all for their size. Alps win. But if we extend to Canada and Alaska, Alps are trashed...

Old 09-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why are y'all comparing other continents' natural features when this thread is about Europe on the Europe forum?
Because the yardstick to define something 'superlative' is 'the rest of the world' no ? We can compare euro features to others...and it's true that almost everything in Europe is modest. But it's here, easy to access with great cities, cultures, blablabla... Europe isn't the continent of superlative, it's the continent of everything next to you, with the prettiest cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe