Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 AM

76 posts, read 208,994 times

Advertisements

I guess that for people living outside Europe that must be quite hard to understand.
I guess that their genetic stock is far more limited, and they have been mixing with each other.
People that went to America were from very specific regions, they did not represent all the diversity we have here.
In many cases, they were from very specific groups that don't exist here anymore.
It's just like traditions, cuisines, slang...in Europe everything changes every couple of miles, people are different, there are secluded towns in which people are different, etc, etc.
For example, all French Canadians I see are very similar, and they are not as varied as French. The same thing happens with all Mexicans, white Mexicans I see, they are all from exactly the same towns in northern Spain and probably are related.
Just a theory.

Last edited by Pedorreropop; 07-05-2013 at 04:33 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedorreropop View Post
I guess that for people living outside Europe that must be quite hard to understand.
I guess that their genetic stock is far more limited, and they have been mixing with each other.
People that went to America were from very specific regions, they did not represent all the diversity we have here.
In many cases, they were from very specific groups that don't exist here anymore.
It's just like traditions, cuisines, slang...in Europe everything changes every couple of miles, people are different, there are secluded towns in which people are different, etc, etc.
For example, all French Canadians I see are very similar, and they are not as varied as French. The same thing happens with all Mexicans, white Mexicans I see, they are all from exactly the same towns in northern Spain and probably are related.
Just a theory.
Possibly. There seems to be a view that if people are dark haired and brown eyed they must descend from Spanish people and that no one can be blond and blue eyed without descending from Germanic people. There are a variety of different looks in all European people.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 AM

I'm blonde and blue eyed and I'm Spanish at least during the last 400 years. Not that there are many blondes or redhairish people in my family, but there are. In fact, my mother is from a town up in the mountains were most people have reddish or blondish hair and green, blue or light brown ayes, but five kilometers apart they are just the contrary.

There's another town in the valley were people are said to descend from Jewish converts, maybe a legend, and there are towns of "damn people", "damn people" are descendants of shepherds that for some reason started to live outside of town some 600 years ago..so the church declared them "damn people" because they did not go to church on Sundays. I believe you have similar people in Ireland.

We also have Tinkers, another ethnical group that descend from people on the run, but ethnically Spanish, etc, etc.

That's what I meant by diversity... I guess that for Americans, all Irish look the same, all Germans, etc.

Thinking that those features are Germanic is nonsensical. Many Romans were blueyed and blonde, I think that the same Caesar, and they certainly were not Germanic. Those features were indoeuropean, not "Germanic".glgl

Last edited by Pedorreropop; 07-05-2013 at 06:34 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 AM

603 posts, read 1,630,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Possibly. There seems to be a view that if people are dark haired and brown eyed they must descend from Spanish people and that no one can be blond and blue eyed without descending from Germanic people. There are a variety of different looks in all European people.
I agree with most of this.

Do you known though that some countries in Europe are less varied than other even.

If you want varied countries then here is some:

Russia.
Hungary.
France.
Germany.
Italy.
Britain.
Ireland.

IMHO, These are some of the most varied countries EVER in Europe.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
I agree with most of this.

Do you known though that some countries in Europe are less varied than other even.

If you want varied countries then here is some:

Russia.
Hungary.
France.
Germany.
Italy.
Britain.
Ireland.

IMHO, These are some of the most varied countries EVER in Europe.
Italian variation is so overrated , Ive been to many places in Italy and I never felt I left southern europe , It simply does not compare to countries such as france or hungary.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
The highest frequency of light eyes is in Northern Europe, this lowers as one goes south. For example Norway is lighter-eyed than Spain or Germany lighter-eyed than Greece. For light hair, it's also in the north, but more towards the Baltic Sea, where it's generally the lightest.

The maps below were voted in the 21st century so far. Since they were based on recent studies done on 20-30 year-olds European males.

Light Hair. For example in my maternal ancestral homeland, in Belgium it's 45 per cent, the Netherlands it's 66 per cent.

For light eyes. For example, with the exception of Scandinavian, Estonia, there are no nation lighter-eyed than Ireland as a whole which on the other hand is the darkest-haired of the British Isles. Ireland received less Germanic/Teutonic infusion than Great Britain.

Red hair, the rarest of hair color is commonest in the northwest Europe, is linked to truly fair skin.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 AM

So what?
Do people with red hair are smarter or are more endowed?
Do they think differently?
Do New Yorkers are dumber than people from Arkansas?
As to the question, yes..all Europeans have recessive genes for light eyes and red hair.
Such recessive genes appear ramdomly in all families.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedorreropop View Post
So what?
Do people with red hair are smarter or are more endowed?
Do they think differently?
Do New Yorkers are dumber than people from Arkansas?
As to the question, yes..all Europeans have recessive genes for light eyes and red hair.
Such recessive genes appear ramdomly in all families.
Now I see why you get offended by the maps I posted. It's most likely, because you're a Spaniard or a Southern European and you seem to have an inferiority complex. First of all, my intentions were not made to make anybody feel down. I'm just posting those maps as answer to the discussion on the thread concerning the recessive genes for light eyes. The answer is the following European populations to have the highest frequency of light pigmentation are those in the north then it gradually decreases as you go south, but never totally. This is completely normal and most likely a result of climate adaptation. It has nothing to do with a group of people whether blonde/red-head being smarter than a brunette! You were really being
out of context, please there. A similar situation was seen in the U.S. as well, among Whites. It was seen that light-eyed people were more much common when a large part of the population ancestry was mainly from the British Isles and other countries of Northern Europe in the early 20th century than later when people from other parts of Europe came. That's a fact. It doesn't mean one is better/dumber than the others!! In Scandinavia, at least 95 per cent have the genes for light eyes! I never ignored the fact that there are light-haired and light-eyed Spaniards/ Portuguese/Italians as well, I'm mentioning frequencies.

Last edited by saxonwold; 07-10-2013 at 01:37 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Yes, it is a matter of climate adaptation. Being nordic/northern European, I don't think I belong in this near-desert :-(.

Someday I will trace down what ancestors of mine did this to me!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 AM

Not really, in many cases populations living in cold areas come from tropical weather, eskimos, or people in deserts from cold climates, arabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe