Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,114,063 times

Advertisements

Tom

Well, a little Asturian white lie...
Moorish conquered Asturias during 16 years, but the Muslim Governor of Gijón "recruited" Pelayo's sister for his harem..and he got real mad...This is the origin of the Reconquest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM

114 posts, read 624,922 times
Similarities;

1) Mutual intelligibility of the languages - a Spanish speaker does not have to put forth much effort into understanding standard Italian and vice versa.
2) Catholicism and its influence on the people.
3) Common history - Roman colonization, Phoenician influence (in Sicily and southern Spain), Moorish influence (Sicily and much of Iberia)
4) Mediterranean climate and a similar vibe in both countries as a result.

Differences;
1) Spaniards strike me as more rule-bound, orderly, rigid much like the French and less of a loud people as a rule.
2) Physical appearance - both are Southern European but Spaniards tend to look very Western European, whereas (at least) southern Italians are significantly influenced by the eastern Mediterranean.
3) The music is very different, or the traditional music is. Nowadays though there is probably mutual influence going in both directions for modern artists though.
4) Italy has a richer tradition as far as art and architecture go.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,029,172 times
Italians stand closer when they talk to you.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Regarding the difference between northern and southern Italy being due to the north having been industrialized earlier, I would suggest the fundamental difference lies in its substrate culture which differs from the south in having been as much Celtic and Germanic as Latin in early antiquity, while the south was historically thoroughly Hellenic before becoming Latinized.

From my personal experience (gross generalizations ahead, be forewarned: ) Italians seem progressive and decadent while Spaniards are comparatively staid and conservative.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookiexo View Post
Similarities;

1) Mutual intelligibility of the languages - a Spanish speaker does not have to put forth much effort into understanding standard Italian and vice versa.
2) Catholicism and its influence on the people.
3) Common history - Roman colonization, Phoenician influence (in Sicily and southern Spain), Moorish influence (Sicily and much of Iberia)
4) Mediterranean climate and a similar vibe in both countries as a result.

Differences;
1) Spaniards strike me as more rule-bound, orderly, rigid much like the French and less of a loud people as a rule.
2) Physical appearance - both are Southern European but Spaniards tend to look very Western European, whereas (at least) southern Italians are significantly influenced by the eastern Mediterranean.
3) The music is very different, or the traditional music is. Nowadays though there is probably mutual influence going in both directions for modern artists though.
4) Italy has a richer tradition as far as art and architecture go.
Genetically Spaniards seem to vary from Celtic (which probably includes the Basque-speaking people) to Moorish-Arab-North African and other indigenous Iberian groups. Their look can be surprisingly Northern European. Rafael Nadal, from Majora, looks Latin American to me.

Italians can also have 'northern' features, but most are dark-featured. Sicilians have Greek blood and genetics from the Levant, as well as some odd foreign influences.

I think during the Roman Empire the provinces in Iberia were 'semi-fringe' parts of the Empire. Not on the outskirts like Judea or Britain, but not one of the core provinces like Italia, Epirus (Greece) or southern France.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
From my personal experience (gross generalizations ahead, be forewarned: ) Italians seem progressive and decadent while Spaniards are comparatively staid and conservative.
I disagree about conservative. The Spanish tend to be more liberal as a people than Italians are.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,112,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookiexo View Post
I disagree about conservative. The Spanish tend to be more liberal as a people than Italians are.
I agree. Gay marriage is legal in Spain (and not even in permissive France), while in Italy they don't even recognise same-sex couples in any way. Older Italians seem very conservative and traditional, even the ones who come here.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree. Gay marriage is legal in Spain (and not even in permissive France), while in Italy they don't even recognise same-sex couples in any way. Older Italians seem very conservative and traditional, even the ones who come here.
I was going to say exactly this. Also gays can not only marry but also adopt in Spain.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Mmmmm... I didn't mean socially conservative, more a matter of manners and style.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,114,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
-----

Italians are as liberal as Spanish, but they have a country embedded right at their heart called The Vatican. The Vatican has an enormous power in Italy.

Hispania was not a fringe part of the Roman Empire. Many emperors and intellectuals were from Hispania.

Ethnically, Italians have a very strong Greek/Middle Eastern influence, while Spain tends to be more homogeneous. The basic ethnical composition of Spain has not changed much during the last 2500 years.

Invaders have not left much genetical imprint except for Indoeuropean invaders 2500-5000 years ago (R1b).

The country was far more diverse in the past, but ethnic cleansing and the Holy Inquisition removed much of the diversity.

Last edited by Manolón; 01-19-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe