Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 12:57 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
misappropriation of race in "historical" movies/series (I won't watch Cleopatra for this reason)
This is a really good point. I was watching a PBS series on Newport RI and they had blacks in the 19th century dancing with wealthy whites in a mansion.

DEI is one thing- misrepresenting the historical record is another!!!! This is just unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 02:53 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Poor or no research done for shows that supposedly take place in "reality". If the show is futuristic or highly speculative that's OK and part of the fun. Many shows I decide to watch because I know something about the circumstances or surroundings. Every time something is ignorantly or carelessly presented it erodes my hope for suspending disbelief. Might as well turn it off and re-engage in real reality!

Old 02-28-2024, 03:26 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times
Narratives should have a plot sequence with a defined beginning, middle, and end, or an arch. When it becomes obvious to me that the writers are extending this arch simply for the purpose of prolonging a series, I lose interest.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:32 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
This started about fifteen - twenty years ago. I became extremely resistant to watching anything that felt like social conditioning. At the first inkling, off it goes.

Just lay the story out with all the nuances but don't tell me what to think about it, please.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:07 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Sloppy writing
Sloppy editing
One-dimensional characters
Irrelevant characters
Cheap sentiment
Loose ends
Overproduction (Shout-out to James Cameron)
Historical inaccuracy

Old 02-29-2024, 07:02 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I won't watch any entertainment that disparages only one political side. I can laugh at jokes that poke fun at all political views, but that seems to be a thing of the past.

I also won't watch anything that has the camera swirling around so fast that you can't focus on any one thing. That goes hand in hand with the shaky camera filming.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:32 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTzen View Post
Way fewer dark/semi dark interiors. Turn on the lights! Are the characters trying to save on their electric bills?!

Little House on the Prairie was better lit than some of these shows, and they weren't supposed to have electricity!

Old 02-29-2024, 01:24 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
......I also won't watch anything that has the camera swirling around so fast that you can't focus on any one thing. That goes hand in hand with the shaky camera filming.
Well, that is something that has turned me off from a lot of shows. Two seconds on the performer, two seconds on the audience, two seconds on the host grinning like an idiot, back and repeat.

There was one show where a friend was performing and it showed her, but then it cut to the host and hostess mimicking her moves.....I HATED THAT!

Hence, one of the reasons why I gave up on TV; I do not like their production values.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:23 PM

175 posts, read 98,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Little House on the Prairie was better lit than some of these shows, and they weren't supposed to have electricity!
Haha! So true!

Old 03-24-2024, 07:17 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Hate when you see maybe a murder at the start then it says on the screen three weeks before.....hate shaky shoogly cameras gives me a headache.. but most of all I cant go the storylines when its obvious the writers have got bored or lost the plot or its been given over to another writer ...as its obvious.. Most of these series start off good get me hooked for two or three episodes then I get fed up and give up most of the time... Maybe I just like things simpler ..but even the actors must get confused with some scripts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts