Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:07 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Legality isn't determined by whether or not there are ads. Of course the site is going to look for a way to make money. If they aren't charging viewers, they're going to have ads.

But the legality is determined by whether or not they are paying the licensing rights for the movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 10:43 PM

3,837 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Amazon Prime I'd say is much better than Netflix, in the sense that they have a lot more content that I have actually heard of. Netflix has all this stuff on I haven't even heard, of and every time I take a chance on something new, that they have to offer, it sucks.

I'm very surprised that it's more popular than prime. As for naming 3-5 good movies that they have on prime, I just glanced at their catalog, and could name 5. Whiplash, Titanic, Catch Me If You Can, Saving Private Ryan, Gattaca, etc.
Those movies weren't Amazon original movies. They were produced by other companies. Are we talking movies that are offered on each site or Netflix original and Amazon Prime original movies?

Old 04-27-2019, 09:08 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Just got the email - Netflix is raising it's rates $3 to $15.99. I'm not sure it's worth it for that - damn near everytime i search for a movie or show it's not available streaming. They have a few things worth watching at any one time and a whole lot of crap.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Personally I like 'Gomovies.com and 123movies.com.
There is also "Tubi.com"

Old 05-05-2019, 10:50 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Those movies weren't Amazon original movies. They were produced by other companies. Are we talking movies that are offered on each site or Netflix original and Amazon Prime original movies?
Oh I thought we were talking about what movies to watch in general.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Netflix occasionally gets a good movie, but their bread and butter seems to be their in-house TV shows these days.

I watch the stuff I want to at the theater for $10 in a capacity I can't do at home. If I want to rewatch a movie a few times, I'll invest in the 4K BR. I wait on other things to hit the discount bin.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM

748 posts, read 339,585 times
It seems hard to have one source for recent movies these days (if ever). It's only getting more fragmented.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:16 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Netflix occasionally gets a good movie, but their bread and butter seems to be their in-house TV shows these days.

I watch the stuff I want to at the theater for $10 in a capacity I can't do at home. If I want to rewatch a movie a few times, I'll invest in the 4K BR. I wait on other things to hit the discount bin.
It also makes their name inaccurate Net'flix', since flicks means movies, but they put their best efforts in TV shows, and not their flicks.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:18 PM

10,356 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
It seems hard to have one source for recent movies these days (if ever). It's only getting more fragmented.
That's deliberate on the part of the content producers (who are trying to force you to subscribe to their exclusive streaming platforms).

Consumers want a single "subscription library" where they can find everything. That's exactly what the content producers don't want, because it might lower the prices they can charge. Unfortunately it's not possible to build a "streaming library" the way a DVD/Blu-Ray library can be created, as streaming doesn't involve any physical media. if the content producer refuses to sell streaming rights or refuses to renew them with a particular service, the service has no choice but to yank the film or TV show from their streaming catalog.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:22 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
Netflix and youtube are for people who do not want to learn how to download and wants to use the internet like a television remote. That is what that is for. Honestly these networks along with facebook took away the diversity of material on the internet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts