Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

The same was siad of the democrats four years ago. My guess is it wil depnd on what the country is l;ike by the next congressional election, if billions spent and no progress then they are likely outbefore they gain a clear majority. Even if Obama gets his budget passed ;getting appropriations for much of it looks shakey at best. Why do you thnik Obama agve up the previous plans on assets to go with a Tresury;FDIC nad privte plan that is sweet for the private investors;because he didn't want to ask and fail to get funding from congress who is not inclined to increase the TARP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 12:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Both the Democrat and Republican party are in meltdown. They are just taking turns showing the public how they do it.
Yes. I believe at this point, "fixes" such as trillion dollar bailouts/debt isn't going to resolve what's wrong. I think we're headed to a collapse because government spending wasn't reined in and it's soon going to be too late.

Keeping the corrupt and poorly managed banks and corporations going with tax payer money -- or rather future taxes on yet unearned wages -- isn't the right route. They will prove to be money black holes with more bailouts required soon as the CEO's take their millions of dollar bonuses while they run these companies into the ground.

Just like the Soviet Union collapsed, our federal government will also -- and then we'll see what happens.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. I believe at this point, "fixes" such as trillion dollar bailouts/debt isn't going to resolve what's wrong. I think we're headed to a collapse because government spending wasn't reined in and it's soon going to be too late.

Keeping the corrupt and poorly managed banks and corporations going with tax payer money -- or rather future taxes on yet unearned wages -- isn't the right route. They will prove to be money black holes with more bailouts required soon as the CEO's take their millions of dollar bonuses while they run these companies into the ground.

Just like the Soviet Union collapsed, our federal government will also -- and then we'll see what happens.
There is some truth to what you say - but right now - no one knows what the exact best course of action is... the financial experts don't, the government doesn't, the FED doesn't...

So whatever is tried may end up being insufficient to solve the problem...

We are going to have to wait 6 months or so to see what happens, and then react based on conditions at that time...

At least Obama is trying to fix these problems and prevent future occurrences...

All Bush did was ignore the economic and financial problems that were clearly growing, enrich his supporters, and vacation in Crawford...

Old 03-29-2009, 01:20 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
It is totally stupid and ridiculous to come out with an alternative budget proposal with no details in it.... Things like this make the GOP nothing but a laughing stock...

Most people now regard them as the party of 'NO' - they just say 'NO' to everything that Obama proposes - and have NOTHING to propose on their own...

What a joke of a party!!!

They are going to pay a heavy price in 2010 and 2012...
Exactly right.....I kinda figured that the GOP would have no idea on how to respond to Pres. Obama but I didn't think it might end up quite the way it has for them....They are absolutely discombobulated...It's hard to see them picking up any seats in the Senate in 2010...and how do you issue a budget with no numbers???? I guess that sums up that party.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
On the contrary, Republicans will probably make gains in 2010 or 2012. Not necessarily because of new ideas or those running, but rather following the historic trend of Americans not letting one party dominate for too long. Clinton was an extremely popular president, but the Republicans still took a majority in Congress. Most serious voters understand that a balance of power must be maintained, and historically, one party in power does not last. Obama knows this, and it is the reason behind trying to rush his ideas through before the GOP regains Congress, just like it always has.

Besides, most Republicans still holding seats in Congress are relatively safe. There are a few exceptions, but it is indeed the future of the Democratic seats in Congress that hinge on Obama's success/failure. If Republicans survived the New Deal, Watergate, and Bush Sr., they will certainly survive onward to 2010, 2012, and beyond.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,667 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say they are both in meltdown...

I WOULD say they are both far too corrupt and self serving, and many of their long-serving members need to be tossed out on their ears - from BOTH sides of the isle.

I really think we need term-limits for Congress. It would go a long way to curb the way they get connected with the lobbyists on K-Street to their benefit and our demise.
So now Mr 'democrats are great' and 'republicans are idiots' is saying both parties are corrupt and self serving. I don't buy it.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:33 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
What is happening to the GOP??

They used to be a credible national party 20 years ago - now they are devolving into a national joke...

Look at the list of GOP leaders and scratch your head:

Bobby Jindal (lies on national tv about being in New Orleans after Katrina)

Gov Palin (well - just a complete nut case - but 'mavericky'!!)

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) - calling for 'Revolution' - ROFLMAO!!

Newt Gingrich - old party hack thinking of running (the competition is so weak)

Michael Steele - what can you say - the guy has done nothing but insert his foot in his mouth - but at least he likes hip-hop - I guess that counts with Ditto-Heads...

John Boehner - introduces the much awaited Republican Budget Proposal alternative to Obama's budget - only there's a teeny, weeny, itsy-bitsy problem - there are no numbers in the GOP budget!!!! WOW - they are really really SMART - they've figured out how to create budgets without numbers - talk about streamlining government!!!

Looks like a Who's Who of losers, incompetent oafs, and extremists to me.

Anyone Republicans out there who like the way the GOP is shaping up???

Any Independents, Democrats, Libertarians who think the GOP is in extreme melt-down mode?
I find the party pretty pathetic in its ideology. Their policies don't work, are divisive, are supported by those inclined to be racist, narrow-minded, and out-of-touch. If we learned anything from the past 8 years of Republican control, it's that Republicans don't have a clue.

This particular line-up of rejects reads like a Who's Who of Creature Features. Shame this country must continually be dragged down by this very sorry segment.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times
Just as the Democratic party has rebounded, the Republican Party will, as well. Think back to 4 years ago, who do you think the shining stars of the Democratic Party were back then? Hollywood and the Dems were still reliving the Clinton glory days. Much can happen in politics in a very short time.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM

573 posts, read 801,808 times
The Grand Old Party simply morphed into Greed Over Principles.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
Malamute wrote;
Quote:
As far as the budget with no numbers, that's like saying "no comment" when the people of this country right now believe we can government spend our way into prosperity.
But that is part of the idiocy of the Republican party LEADERSHIP. Boehner and his henchmen went on TV the week before and said; "we'll have an alternative budget by next Wednesday". When it wasn't ready by Wednesday they had a p***ing match between the Boehner and Ryan factions and Boehner "won the battle and lost the war". Even the more conservative media outlets were making fun of this bit of idiocy.

The problem with the R party isn't (most of) its members, it's the LEADERSHIP. Boehner looks and acts like as much of a p***k as Delay, Armey and Gingrich, plus he's not a good one to call "shenanigans" on other earmarkers. McConnell of KY "may" be an intelligent guy but he sounds like just another southern "hick". BTW, my wife, who is from KY HATES derogatory terms toward "country folk", such as hick, Okie, ridgerunner etc. But, as someone who was raised in a "border" state and spent some of military career in the north I can tell you that when many people hear the reallllllly drawn ouuuuut southern drawl, something in our heads goes "click-STUPID".

Go talk to a banker, business leader or others with financial power in southern states, they may sound like hicks when talking to their local good ole boy net, but get them at a banker's conference of other national convention and they sound like they're from CO, CA, or some other neutral state. I'd almost bet Phil Graham (R-UBS Paine Weber) doesn't sound like a hick when he's on Wall Street or in Davos.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections