Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times

Advertisements

It's not like ALL pride parades are SEX FESTS or something.

We always have the Police, Fire, Governor, Senators, House members, people running for office, all the news stations, local businesses, corporations, etc.

Everyone has a float in Chicago's parade. There are certainly racey floats, but at this year's parade I must have seen THOUSANDS of children with their parents at some point in, along or near the parade. It wasn't chaos.

My absolute favorite are the people who cry out "if you take your child to a gay pride parade - he/she might turn out gay!!!!"

Like if I take my kid to a convention for people who are left handed - he's going to come home and be left handed. Or if I take my daughter to a NAACP rally, her skin tone will darken and her hair will naturally turn black.

Make anyone sit around in a room with gays for 4 years, and while they might hate it or become accepting of it - it's NEVER going to TURN them gay. It's not like an "option" or a switch or a choice you flip between. You're either attracted to women, or men, or for a few people they really do seem to just land in the middle. I'm a gay man, and I really don't understand the whole Bi thing myself - not that I"m against it. I mean I'm 100% attracted to men, and have been since I discovered what "feelings" were. All my straight friends are completely straight, and have never been attracted to the same sex.

I guess all I mean is you can like one thing or the other, or maybe both, but you don't change your instincts. You are what you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
I really feel like there was supposed to be a point in here. I can't find it though.

Carl Paladino was simply incorrect in his comments (as were you in yours earlier).
Of course no point, just defense of sickening Paladino bigotry.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM

723 posts, read 634,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Of course no point, just defense of sickening Paladino bigotry.
I know. I try to be 'moderate' in my comments as much as possible, but Carl Paladino is a dangerous madman. It was actually his comments on abortion that got me riled up about him in the first place. We're used to hearing views like his about gay people. But when my partner and I were watching him answer questions about abortion, saying that women who are raped or victims of incest should be forced to bear the child because "they can put the child up for adoption", we were horrified. Really, Paladino? With all these kids that are in the system as it is, he really thinks a three-eyed, two-headed product of incest has a chance?

This was the day after the Primary Election, and everything he's said since has gone even further downhill.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
I know. I try to be 'moderate' in my comments as much as possible, but Carl Paladino is a dangerous madman. It was actually his comments on abortion that got me riled up about him in the first place. We're used to hearing views like his about gay people. But when my partner and I were watching him answer questions about abortion, saying that women who are raped or victims of incest should be forced to bear the child because "they can put the child up for adoption", we were horrified. Really, Paladino? With all these kids that are in the system as it is, he really thinks a three-eyed, two-headed product of incest has a chance?

This was the day after the Primary Election, and everything he's said since has gone even further downhill.
Good point, his comments about the Community Center were also quite well "interesting" to say the least. First off he said he would use Eminent Domain to take control of the area. I don't know how that squares with the whole small government tea party thing, not to mention might be illegal. But the kicker was his they would put the pictures of the hijackers on the wall comment, which is totally absurd.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM

101 posts, read 195,388 times
Quote:

Paladino is a very brusque NY Italian American man who means well, but doesnt have the gift of gab and doesn't explain his points well. It takes a willing heart to listen to him and give him the benefit of the doubt with his stumbling way of explaining things. If you took the time, you would probably realize he's not as crude as you originally thought.

Some people I guess don't like him well enough to give him that. I understand. But don't condemn the man.

As for forcing a woman to have a baby from rape... those exact words were never used. And its not about forcing a woman to do anything, thats not the point... the point is not taking the life of the child who had no say in the matter. They didn't asked for that situation, and they deserve a chance at life.
My son is not a 'child of rape'... he is MY CHILD. I didnt even consider adoption..let alone abortion.

It all boils down to how much you value a life besides your own.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:11 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'd vote for Paladino. He's an Italian-American. Isn't that why blacks overwhelmingly voted for Obama?
For about the thousandth time, NO.

Blacks abandoned their traditional Republican voting patterns to vote for Gore and Kerry in about the same percentage as the president because both Gore and Kerry are black!

Paladino happens to be an unmitigated boor who is rejected by Giuliani, D'Amato and Bloomberg.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM

101 posts, read 195,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
For about the thousandth time, NO.

Blacks abandoned their traditional Republican voting patterns to vote for Gore and Kerry in about the same percentage as the president because both Gore and Kerry are black!

Paladino happens to be an unmitigated boor who is rejected by Giuliani, D'Amato and Bloomberg.
Sorry darlin. I have to disagree. "Traditional Republican Voting Patterns" with African Americans is a false statement. Do some research.

I have mixed kiddos, Italian and African American. I have close friends of many races, especially African American. Since the election of Obama, I have lost friends of that race who now accuse me of being racist because I have half black kids and didn't support or cast my vote for a black man, simply because of his color. When I asked what other reasons are you voting for him? -- I get crazy looks-- "What other reason do you need??"
I was awestruck, I still have a hard time with it.

It breaks my heart to think that people would put our great nation in jeopardy by voting this way and ignoring what the candidate believes or who he/she is all about, especially so many of my friends and inlaws, but its a reality. Whether you want to deal with that reality or not, its here.

I'm not saying that all African Americans think this way... my experience in those I know personally it has been-- to my shock-- 100% of them. But I am sure there are those I don't know who feel differently as I can't possibly know the thoughts of all African Americans in the US.

Last edited by meintennessee; 10-15-2010 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: to clarify

Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meintennessee View Post
Sorry darlin. I have to disagree. "Traditional Republican Voting Patterns" with African Americans is a false statement. Do some research.
Some research for you:

Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/p4twoe - broken link)

Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM

723 posts, read 634,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meintennessee View Post
Paladino is a very brusque NY Italian American man who means well, but doesnt have the gift of gab and doesn't explain his points well. It takes a willing heart to listen to him and give him the benefit of the doubt with his stumbling way of explaining things. If you took the time, you would probably realize he's not as crude as you originally thought.

Some people I guess don't like him well enough to give him that. I understand. But don't condemn the man.

As for forcing a woman to have a baby from rape... those exact words were never used. And its not about forcing a woman to do anything, thats not the point... the point is not taking the life of the child who had no say in the matter. They didn't asked for that situation, and they deserve a chance at life.
My son is not a 'child of rape'... he is MY CHILD. I didnt even consider adoption..let alone abortion.

It all boils down to how much you value a life besides your own.
I appreciate your experience and perspective on this. However, not everyone has the heart that you do. And that's fine. But he really did say that he would not allow an abortion under those circumstances (and it was the incest answer that really got me), which means that yes, it would basically be forcing a woman to have the baby.

With abortion, I take the same stance as I do on marijuana: people are going to do it one way or another, and it could be safe or it could be very dangerous (though the danger rarely applies to marijuana, back-alley abortions are a HUGE and omnipresent danger for women).

Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
If you don't think a gay pride parade is appropriate for kids, then don't take your kids to one.

I don't think hunting animals, gun shows or shooting ranges are appropriate for kids, but I bet people take their kids to those events anyway.

Paladino can say whatever he wants. I'll be surprised if he gets more than 30% of the vote next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections