Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I don't think the OP was saying that, but rather applying common sense to his observation of some families; BTW, he was not using a wide brush to paint everyone in El Paso, he did say 'some families', including his own.

One cannot fairly draw parallels to what you just described against people who live in a city that is 76% Hispanic (re Mexican heritage), on the border with Mexico which was once part of Mexico. BTW, how many people know that the original El Paso is present day Ciudad Juarez? It was not until the mid 1800s that present day El Paso, which was the same town as Juarez, became part of the US after some wars, and was called Franklin, Texas! Old El Paso was renamed Ciudad Juarez in honor of Benito Juarez later on. Okay, 'sorry for the history lesson....

The Germans Malamute referred to in America are thousands of miles from Germany. The Mexican Americans in El Paso are seperated only by a river. Hardly comparable, so it is not unreasonable for one to have a mild expectation that someone who resembles a Mexican could speak Spanish, or be proud of their Mexican heritage in El Paso.

BTW, Polka music is from Poland, but enjoyed in Germany too.
Well speaking Spanish does not make one a Mexican, nor does eating tacos. There's a whole lot more to being part of a culture than food or learning a language or even dancing to some kind of music.

Most of us don't feel any special pride in some nation our ancestors chose to leave nor do we expect others should feel shame. It's neither a matter of pride nor shame.

I also don't see race or ethnicity as some big source of racial pride because it's completely an accident of your birth, nothing someone achieved for themselves.

It's racist to look at anyone here and assume they speak Spanish or cannot understand Spanish. It's wrong to assume a kid of Mexican ancestry living in the USA loves beans or doesn't prefer a hamburger to an enchilada.

If someone chooses to hold onto some cultural ways of some ancestor -- it should be okay but no one should demand or expect others must do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 02:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
Hispanic and Latina because our people did not invent those words..PResidents Nixon and Reagan did...Only our people decided we should call ourselves ...Chicanos and since I was born in the 60s,,that is what I call myself
I don't believe there is one word that all agree on. My Mexican relatives prefer Mexicana/Mexicano or Latino/Latina and would not describe themselves as Chicanos which is more of a subset carrying class & political overtones.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:35 PM

270 posts, read 626,773 times
What would you consider a cauc, blue eye, blond hair and American ancestory doesnt speak any english because they were born and raised in Mexico ? Mennonites in Parral.

Any doubt as to who or what you are, look in the mirror for the orgin and then whatever you choose to claim. Speaking english as a primary language and having "American" culture/traditions doesnt make you any less of anything.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's actually kind of racist to assume that someone whose ancestors came long ago from Mexico or maybe they never came from Mexico but from Spain and maybe mingled with Indians living in the SW would automatically like Mexican music and want to wear a sombrero. Other people can simply be American in every way -- language and culturally so why is it wrong for just those with certain last names to do the same?

Who ever condemns someone of German ancestry for not wearing Alps mountain outfits or for not listening exclusively to polka music? Everyone else gets to blend in and be American and speak English, and it seems kind of silly to expect people who never lived in Mexico to continue acting as though they still do.

I completely agree. As someone of Latin heritage (not Mexican) myself, nothing makes me as mad as a Hispanic person pushing their inferiority complexes onto people. OP, mind your own business. Those "Mexicans" are more American and feel more American...why? BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN AMERICA! Have you noticed?! Have you taken Texas History? Do you know that there are "Mexicans" that have lived in Texas since before the Anglos were here? Seriously, get over yourself.

Those Americans of Mexican descent have absolutely NOTHING to answer to you or to explain to you. Sorry and please stop pushing your inferiority complex onto other Americans of Latino descent.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 AM

85 posts, read 317,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie32 View Post
There are some Mexican-American families in El Paso that are denying their heritage. They don't speak Spanish at home, they don't eat Mexican foods, they don't listen to Latin music. Some go so far as to change their name to sound more "American".

Can anyone explain to me why? Do they deny their heritage because they don't want themselves or their children to feel different in America? Or do they somehow "hate" their race?

Also, any statistics on this? Is it like 1 in every 10 families that's like this?

My husband is like this actually. He was never taught Spanish in the home though, because his parents both spoke Spanish as their first language in a time when you could actually be punished in school for doing so. His father had so much trouble with English he failed a grade. I guess his parents didn't want him to go through that. My husband also doesn't like that much Mexican food because he doesn't like cheese. He likes classic rock, not latin music.
But, I don't think those things really make someone's heritage. Those are personal preferences, and I think there is a real difference.

I know my husband is embarassed because he hates mentioning our last name, which is obviously Spanish. He's embarrassed when his parents speak Spanish in front of company. He actually kept telling me he was from "Spanish" stock, I guess because he thought I wouldn't date him if he was Mexican. He thinks I'm crazy when I say I think Mexican culture is beautiful and fun. Sometimes he tells me that the reason he's embarrassed is because some people have an ignorant perception of Mexicans. 10 people in a small run down vehicle, always drinking beer, etc. He's angry when our kids are treated differently for being half-white and half-hispanic (from both sides). From everything he tells me, it's seems like he's more ashamed than anything. I don't think he quite "hates" himself. I think it's a phase more than anything.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,444,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmer'sDaughter View Post
My husband is like this actually. He was never taught Spanish in the home though, because his parents both spoke Spanish as their first language in a time when you could actually be punished in school for doing so. His father had so much trouble with English he failed a grade. I guess his parents didn't want him to go through that. My husband also doesn't like that much Mexican food because he doesn't like cheese. He likes classic rock, not latin music.
But, I don't think those things really make someone's heritage. Those are personal preferences, and I think there is a real difference.

I know my husband is embarassed because he hates mentioning our last name, which is obviously Spanish. He's embarrassed when his parents speak Spanish in front of company. He actually kept telling me he was from "Spanish" stock, I guess because he thought I wouldn't date him if he was Mexican. He thinks I'm crazy when I say I think Mexican culture is beautiful and fun. Sometimes he tells me that the reason he's embarrassed is because some people have an ignorant perception of Mexicans. 10 people in a small run down vehicle, always drinking beer, etc. He's angry when our kids are treated differently for being half-white and half-hispanic (from both sides). From everything he tells me, it's seems like he's more ashamed than anything. I don't think he quite "hates" himself. I think it's a phase more than anything.
Sounds like your husband worries to much about what others think. Not everyone will like you so stop trying to please everyone.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM

272 posts, read 1,063,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFarmer'sDaughter View Post

It seems that he still has some sort of trauma growing up and by your description it appears that he grew up in the 50's & 60's when Hispanics were much more discriminated against than today. Older folks mention to me that Hispanics used to be segregated as early as the 1960's. So I can understand his trauma but he really needs to get over it. We are about to reach the year 2010 and this country has changed for the better. Of course there is residual racism from a small minority but nothing like 30,40,50 years ago.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,522 times
Just don't be a homosexual who is craving sauce drenched rolled tacos with fries at midnight and a romantic urge and you will be fine with whatever heritage you are in denial over. Humor.....

Old 07-23-2009, 02:26 PM

93 posts, read 309,631 times
Very well said...I can understand why people would say they are not Mexican American...after all, that's a politically-created denomination. But I do not understand why someone who speaks Spanish, or any other language in addition to English, would not want to teach it to their kids!! I was very glad that my parents spoke to me in English, Spanish, and Italian. As I grew up, I took it upon myself to study Spanish and Italian formally. Now, as part of my job, I get to travel all over the world, and produce my reports in 3 languages, which makes me a very high commodity in my office! My coworkers always rely on me to help them out when we travel or prepare technical reports in other languages. Only here, do I see such a negative attitude towards embracing another culture or language! When your kids become adults, they will be very grateful to you that in addition to English, you opened a whole other world to them by giving them the gift of knowing other languages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooleniumCrunch View Post
I will teach my children English AND Spanish because I believe it will always be an advantage for them to speak two languages. If I knew another language, you bet I would try to teach them that language, too. Everything else, I believe you should do what you like. I eat Mexican food because I like it. I eat hamburgers because I like them. I eat Indian, Italian and Chinese and Thai food because I like them. I listen to Spanish and Engilsh pop and rock because I like them, though I've never liked Tejano/Norteña music...I just don't. Neither of these things is mutually exclusive (doing one doesn't prevent me from doing the other).

I just find it silly to do/eat/sing things just because they are or aren't part of my cultural heritage. Granted, I don't doubt that my love for peppers is somewhat culturally ingrained, but my brother grew up in the same family I did and he doesn't eat as much spicy food...he just prefers blander foods. It's not nothing to do with nationality.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:16 PM

729 posts, read 2,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltep View Post
just don't be a homosexual who is craving sauce drenched rolled tacos with fries at midnight and a romantic urge and you will be fine with whatever heritage you are in denial over. Humor.....

:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso