Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:14 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,719,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
I like the West side as to when you first come in to EP on I-10 at Transmountain and Artcraft exits as you see all the huge factories along side the freeway and the Palm trees they planted around them.
Amen Harry. I love those palms, too, as you enter. I always also love the Helen of Troy building coming in from the west...just a beautiful building with all of the palms, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Another thing i like about the East side of the Franklins over the West side is you get to see the Sunrise in the morning where the West side is the Sunset side and for me personally i've always been an early riser to go workout (4:30 A.M.) and then get back and have some coffee and read the sports/news etc..and see the beautiful Sunrise as that inspires me. I thrive on sunshine and heat....

Again just my preference.....
Gosh man...you have me really fired up about El Paso / the desert! These really are great things about living in the Middle Rio Grande Valley (sunrises/sunsets). Last night I was walking here in Albuquerque and saw just another phenomenal sunset...they are even a bit more spectacular in El Paso...just really neat stuff (as is the sunshine / heat of the high desert)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 11:29 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,963,142 times
Hey harry if you get a chance.. wait till dark and get on the free way and drive I10 like your going to Dallas.. When you get to Zaragosa take a look at what they did with the freeway there.. its awesome! I was shocked at how cool it turned out.. then just turn around at The Exit to the red parrot, and come back and drive up the new loop 375.. it all looks pretty good to me... now why wont they do cool stuff like that tot he N.E. freeway is behond me..

Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,638,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Hey harry if you get a chance.. wait till dark and get on the free way and drive I10 like your going to Dallas.. When you get to Zaragosa take a look at what they did with the freeway there.. its awesome! I was shocked at how cool it turned out.. then just turn around at The Exit to the red parrot, and come back and drive up the new loop 375.. it all looks pretty good to me... now why wont they do cool stuff like that tot he N.E. freeway is behond me..
Oh yeah got all that planned...
Gonna see UTEP's new digs then out to the area you mentioned out on I-10 to the new freeway loop I-375 on the east side then over to see all the Ft.Bliss growth and the Patriot freeway I-54 expansion to the new Regional Park for Northeast (I-54 and McCombs) etc...etc...and of course always got to stop by the o'l stomping grounds on Ontario St and then over to Andress High. Finally to visit friends and family etc...

Then take the back way up to ABQ on U.S.54 to Alamogordo and a pit stop at the friendly ''Border Patrol CheckPoint'' by Orogrande (yes american citizen and no Drugs) up to La Luz Canyon, Cloudcroft and Ruidoso to the highest Peak in all the southern United States (MT. Sierra Blanca 12,003 ft) then down to Carrizozo over the Oscurro Mountains to San Antonio NM at I-25 and up to Socorro then back at exciting Southeast ABQ....

Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

Gosh man...you have me really fired up about El Paso / the desert! These really are great things about living in the Middle Rio Grande Valley (sunrises/sunsets). Last night I was walking here in Albuquerque and saw just another phenomenal sunset...they are even a bit more spectacular in El Paso...just really neat stuff (as is the sunshine / heat of the high desert)...
Enjoy.....Most of El Paso West Siders, Las cruceans and Albuquerqueans love the Sunsets as they are fantastic as these 3 cities/areas are on the Western Slopes of their ranges i.e. Franklin, Organ and Sandia mountain ranges so the Sunsets are better on the West side. But i'm a Sunriser so i like to go out to Moriarity on the weekends on the East side of the mountain at about 5:30 A.M. and get my coffee and tune in the radio from EP 600 KROD and see the sun come up on the horizon as thats where i derive my energy and power.

Just like when i was in the Navy on the 4 to 8 morning watch and to see the Sunrise over the ocean was awsome. Whether its Sunsets or Sunrises they are awsome here in the Southwest....

Not surprised Pittsburg and Cleveland lost alot of people in the Census report today...

Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 AM

71 posts, read 346,351 times
We live on El Paso's eastside and I like it. Very convenient. All our neighbors are super nice.

If you would consider Eastside I would suggest the Cielo Vista area, or Eastridge. The homes are older but they are the long wide ranch style. Most of these homes have some room on the side or they have RV parking which you will not find in the new areas.

If you guys have any toys (Boat, RV, ATV etc.) it will be hard to store these items at your house in the new neighborhoods. Most houses are cramped together. You open the side door of your garage and you can shake hands with your neighbor

There are no neighborhoods where the garage is in the rear, they have not heard about that yet in El Paso or am I missing something?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:07 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,963,142 times
EPTEX look around the LARDEO area, the old areas around Fort Bliss have set ups like that..

Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 AM
DVJ

10 posts, read 35,292 times
Default Orogrande

Hi all,
I haven't seen many posts about Orogrande. What is the population of Orogrande. Do they have shopping, hospitals, schools?
Thanks.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVJ View Post
Hi all,
I haven't seen many posts about Orogrande. What is the population of Orogrande. Do they have shopping, hospitals, schools?
Thanks.
Hey DVJ......You probably never will see any as Orogrande as its about 20 pop??

Its the halfway point from El Paso to Alamogordo on U.S.54 (about 30/35 miles) There are i beleive 2 gas stations, a bar, a resturante and a few trailors. It was founded i beleive in the 1800's do to gold in the mountains there (ortiz) hence the name Orogrande or ''Large Gold''. It only is there now because of U.S.54 goes right thru it as hundreds of thousands of tourists from El Paso and Mexico go thru there to the mountains in Southern NM.

Back in the 80's when Reagan was president he announced that his ''Star Wars'' laser program was going to be built on McGreagor Range right next to Orogrande so it would be a huge project with thousands of contruction workers and thousands of military and civilians working there so all the land was bought up and there was supposed to be a boom there but the congress killed his plan so Orogrande still sits a sleepy halfway point

Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,715,135 times
I'd like to put in a plug for the northeast. we've got the best undiscovered area in EP.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:54 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcallaway View Post
Hello, we are being assigned to FT Bliss this summer and are wondering where the low crime neighborhoods are in El Paso as we do a housing search. Anybody?

We'll have about $1150 for rent if we opt to live outside of the post. Our primary reason is to locate where the better schools are for our 3rd greater and hope to get him into spanish immersion type classes as he was in them in the first grade.

any info on anything will be helpful.
I haven't moved there yet, but everyone I've spoken to said the only elementary school districts to consider are Tippen and Polk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso