Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,500 times

Advertisements

I would not move here with a child that has autism. I have been here 8 months my child has feel behind. The classrooms are over crowded, they want take my child to the bathroom the teachersw suck I know more than what they do. If you Dont believe me call the head of special needs at the episd and she will inform you how bad it is. I am in the military getting out of here very soon can't let my child go through this much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,907 times
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekins22 View Post
We are considering moving to El Paso. My 4yo son has autism, and I was wondering if anyone can give me any information on community resources available there. Also, are there any good preschool classrooms for kids with autism? Are there good elementary school programs? Thanks.

I also have a 4yr old autistic son and i live in El Paso, and I usually don't do this kind of thing but i read your post and I just wanted to give you the name of a therapy center that offers services like occupational and speech therapy for autisic children as well as other children. The center is called Health Star LLP. in my opinion the therapist there are really helpful and love what they do. Hope this info was helpful in some way to you.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM

5 posts, read 19,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD-NOS_Mom View Post
This thread is very helpful. I am a mom to a newly diagnosed child with PDD-NOS. I will have to take all this information into mind when he is ready to enter school.
My daughter is diagnosed the same. This may be off topic but she has made amazing improvement since receiving services in a class room setting (rather than individual aides). She has improved so much that unless you know her history, you would likely not be able to tell she has pdd in many situations. I know that each case of autism and each type of asd is different but have found that good school intervention with the right people who actually care about their job and want to help you child progress makes a tonne of difference.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:48 PM

16 posts, read 61,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyllianna View Post
My daughter is diagnosed the same. This may be off topic but she has made amazing improvement since receiving services in a class room setting (rather than individual aides). She has improved so much that unless you know her history, you would likely not be able to tell she has pdd in many situations. I know that each case of autism and each type of asd is different but have found that good school intervention with the right people who actually care about their job and want to help you child progress makes a tonne of difference.
Thanks! I think that is great advice.

We have been working with my son since he was less than 2 years old. He gets speech therapy, and we have an in-home ABA program based on the Verbal Behavior method, and we just started OT services. He just started talking a few days ago, and is doing very well.

I have lots of hope for his future and for a full recovery.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyllianna View Post

My son was was first diagnose with PDD-NOS last yr and was confirmed Autistic in May of this yr. I was just wondering if you can give me the name to the school or the distict that you have had experiences with. My son is in the EPISD district and I'm considering moving him from schools. I would really appreciate it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla27 View Post
My son was was first diagnose with PDD-NOS last yr and was confirmed Autistic in May of this yr. I was just wondering if you can give me the name to the school or the distict that you have had experiences with. My son is in the EPISD district and I'm considering moving him from schools. I would really appreciate it.
I do not use the public school system. I home school via an in-home ABA program, and have seen INCREDIBLE gains in my son. My current BCaBA is moving to Georgia, but she conducts the workshops that I always post about. She has made an amazing difference in the quality of life for our entire family. I cannot recommend obtaining ABA therapy for your own child enough.

There is another BCBA who just moved here, she has both a bachelor's and master's degree in Applied Behavior Analysis. Her going consultant rate is $50/hr. If you'd like, I can give you her information. Just email me at wickedknitting at hotmail dot com. Make sure the subject line reads: Looking for ABA Information.

If possible, try to attend the workshops. The new BCBA will be there, she is the ONLY person in El Paso who is a BOARD CERTIFIED behavior analyst. There are many shoddy consultants that fly in from other cities, and I have heard very terrible personal accounts from other autism parents in this city.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,242 times
hey wow, another autism thread, how bout that?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,184 times
[FONT=Verdana]Great thread. I'm a sun city native and just finishing my training in developmental-behavioral pediatrics at UNC and plan on being back to practice in EP in August of this year. A lot of what I do has to do with children on the autism spectrum. It's good to know there are community supports in EP, thanks for the good information. I will be in town later this month and trying to meet with some of these folks to see how we can work together to help these kids/families. If you have any other recommendations about people or agencies that work with your children let me know; like SLPs or OTs. Keep up the good work! [/FONT]

Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,104 times
I am the mother of two children in the spectrum and a military spouse. El Paso does have many resources, but the only problem is there is not one place to get them from. With that in mind, I have developed a resource list for anyone that would like a copy. It has contact information for Dev. Peds., Neurologist, ABA provider, wonderful groups like the CDIC, SWASA, EFMP, etc. I grows every month because of all the parents that pass on contact information to me. If you would like a copy, email me at pat.elpaso@yahoo.com
Hope this helps. Pat

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Hello everyone:

I am doing a FREE contest giveaway on my blog, which supports parents of children with autism. The winner will receive a complete toilet training kit. Please check out this link:

Living with PDD-NOS: Toilet Training Contest Giveaway!!!! (FREE to enter)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: