Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:24 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,973,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Well to the north it's not Denver. Albuquerque already has one of these high end centers......ABQ Uptown.

ABQ Uptown - Shopping in Albuquerque - Upscale Retail and Residences ©2008 HBC Land LP - Home
That is a cool web page, and it shows what looks like a really cool shopping and living center. El Paso could build on of those here in the Northe East right off Trans Mountain and the freeway.. wish they would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 PM

639 posts, read 1,046,356 times
Default Read Miner 72 Post.

Quote:
Well from the article in the El Paso times, it doesn't sound like it's going to out do much. Please provide a link to the article that said it will out do everything in a 450 mile radius.
From the web sight it looks like they develop Shopping Centers.....NOT high end or Lifestyle Centers which include Hotels & Lofts.

Regency Centers
I dont know if there is any link regarding the plan proposal, but Miner 72 mentions that he attended a town hall meeting and there is where he claims the developers mentioned this new high end mall to be one of it's kind within a 450 mile radious.

Dont under estimate that El Paso cant have better quality venues such as a more upscale mall than anything Albuquerque has at the moment, remember that El Paso was the center of commerce of the Southwest for the longest time way before the rise of Phoenix and Albuquerque were even included as part of the southwestern society.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
I dont know if there is any link regarding the plan proposal, but Miner 72 mentions that he attended a town hall meeting and there is where he claims the developers mentioned this new high end mall to be one of it's kind within a 450 mile radious.

Dont under estimate that El Paso cant have better quality venues such as a more upscale mall than anything Albuquerque has at the moment, remember that El Paso was the center of commerce of the Southwest for the longest time way before the rise of Phoenix and Albuquerque were even included as part of the southwestern society.
High.. dude I agree.. El Paso can. It just doesn't. The council is run by money hungry, greedy weasles.. if there is nothing in it for them.. then its passed up.

El Pasoans have to change their mentaility, change the way they think, and embrace change. El Paso needs loads of change. El Paso needs to quit beinga pass though city, and start becoming a stop and stay city. Because these pass us by on their way to better places they trash our city and leave it lacking. We need people to stay and build a better city one that can have venues like you said above, and we also need higher wages and not just what the Feds say we should be at. El Pasoans need to feel they can go out and visit these venues, and support them, buy concert tickets a month in advance and sell out, andnot wait till the last second, only to find out it was cancelled because the promoter thought there was no interest here.

EnjoyEP posted all these great links to things here.. but the people dont support them. Either because they cant afford them, or people are just to lazy to get out and do something. I wish it was different here, but it isn't.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:11 PM

639 posts, read 1,046,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
High.. dude I agree.. El Paso can. It just doesn't. The council is run by money hungry, greedy weasles.. if there is nothing in it for them.. then its passed up.

El Pasoans have to change their mentaility, change the way they think, and embrace change. El Paso needs loads of change. El Paso needs to quit beinga pass though city, and start becoming a stop and stay city. Because these pass us by on their way to better places they trash our city and leave it lacking. We need people to stay and build a better city one that can have venues like you said above, and we also need higher wages and not just what the Feds say we should be at. El Pasoans need to feel they can go out and visit these venues, and support them, buy concert tickets a month in advance and sell out, andnot wait till the last second, only to find out it was cancelled because the promoter thought there was no interest here.

EnjoyEP posted all these great links to things here.. but the people dont support them. Either because they cant afford them, or people are just to lazy to get out and do something. I wish it was different here, but it isn't.
How true it is and I agree with you because thats the way society is run today seems alot of city administrations in other big cities have the very same approach towards developers with the same scheme tax free = $$$$$$ in return, anyway this will put the city council to the test, lets see how they wheel and deal, hopefully it will all work out.

Question, Muhnay?
What became of North Park Mall and Sunrise Shopping Center, and did you hear that they might move William Beaumont into a new 500 million dollar army hospital located close to that new freeway under construction and the VA is looking into the needs of the areas 80,000 + Veterans in El Paso with probably and finally a full service inpatient VA hospital to be built in conjuction with the new Army hospital.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 PM

I have heard there is a new Army Medical center to be built on BIGGS, and that the VA will take over the old Hospital. It should be the premier VA hospital in the region, and will service not only El Paso Vets, but vets for 500 miles in all directions.. in the USA. There is even rumor that a new records center will be placed in the new scheme of things, so you wont have to send off to Amarillo any longer. But thats all here say so don't quote me on that. The Army is trying to put everything all in one spot, and BIGGS is the spot. There is a new PX and Commissary also being built on BIGGS, and it is state of the art.. like a super super wal*mart.

North Park mall should be torn down.. what happened to it, was the little punks from Irvin High School closed it down.. to much crime and gang activity for the business to stay there and put up with. And the property management company wants to much money to lease there.. so what happened is everyone moved to greener pastures... and further N.E. like to Trans-Mountain and Martin Luther Drive.

Sunrise still seems to be hop in with plenty of business, but I have never considered it to be a real shopping mall. I also don't shop there.. have no real need to travel that far from my home. It also does not look anything like the centers we have spoke about here thus far.. if it were to get a face lift to something along them lines.. WOW!

I think North Park Mall should be torn down and turned into a shopping center and living space like APQ. has.. but I worry being that close to Irvin would only bring it down.. its sad that area used to be prime real-estate and now its considered a high crime low income area.. one thats dangerous to be in. We need to turn that around.. but how?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM

507 posts, read 1,661,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I have heard there is a new Army Medical center to be built on BIGGS, and that the VA will take over the old Hospital. It should be the premier VA hospital in the region, and will service not only El Paso Vets, but vets for 500 miles in all directions.. in the USA. There is even rumor that a new records center will be placed in the new scheme of things, so you wont have to send off to Amarillo any longer. But thats all here say so don't quote me on that. The Army is trying to put everything all in one spot, and BIGGS is the spot. There is a new PX and Commissary also being built on BIGGS, and it is state of the art.. like a super super wal*mart.

North Park mall should be torn down.. what happened to it, was the little punks from Irvin High School closed it down.. to much crime and gang activity for the business to stay there and put up with. And the property management company wants to much money to lease there.. so what happened is everyone moved to greener pastures... and further N.E. like to Trans-Mountain and Martin Luther Drive.

Sunrise still seems to be hop in with plenty of business, but I have never considered it to be a real shopping mall. I also don't shop there.. have no real need to travel that far from my home. It also does not look anything like the centers we have spoke about here thus far.. if it were to get a face lift to something along them lines.. WOW!

I think North Park Mall should be torn down and turned into a shopping center and living space like APQ. has.. but I worry being that close to Irvin would only bring it down.. its sad that area used to be prime real-estate and now its considered a high crime low income area.. one thats dangerous to be in. We need to turn that around.. but how?
John Cook has tried repeated times to contact the owner of North Park Mall (who also owns the Sunrise Center) to demolish it, but the owner lives in Mexico and has had no contact with the city. The last I heard, the rest of the mall is unusable besides the Furniture Factory Warehouse area.

Yes, the New Army Hospital is being built as we speak. If you look over when driveing on Purple Heart Memorial Highway you can see it. Beaumont will be used as a VA only hospital, but a new hospital needs to be built in the northeast as well. The northeast is seeing construction of houses by the square mile, and all the northeast residents have is Beaumont and Thomason, which are very far from that part of the city.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM

811 posts, read 2,943,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post

I'm not under estimating anything El Paso can do. I'm just saying the developers web site & the article in the El Paso times don't seem to point to a High Scale, Lifestyle Center.
I'm sure El Paso has the ability & need to build something that rivals or is better than what Albuquerque has.
I hope it is a High end center that is built, the people in El Paso really need something like that.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
John Cook has tried repeated times to contact the owner of North Park Mall (who also owns the Sunrise Center) to demolish it, but the owner lives in Mexico and has had no contact with the city. The last I heard, the rest of the mall is unusable besides the Furniture Factory Warehouse area.

Yes, the New Army Hospital is being built as we speak. If you look over when driveing on Purple Heart Memorial Highway you can see it. Beaumont will be used as a VA only hospital, but a new hospital needs to be built in the northeast as well. The northeast is seeing construction of houses by the square mile, and all the northeast residents have is Beaumont and Thomason, which are very far from that part of the city.
Humm this maybe a good use of eminent domain. Tell Cook to get cooking and start the paper work and sieze that puppy.

Ok Purple heart and what street, so I can take a look the next time I am out that way.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 AM

114 posts, read 366,531 times
Quote:
I'm not under estimating anything El Paso can do. I'm just saying the developers web site & the article in the El Paso times don't seem to point to a High Scale, Lifestyle Center.
I'm sure El Paso has the ability & need to build something that rivals or is better than what Albuquerque has.
I hope it is a High end center that is built, the people in El Paso really need something like that.
The amenities that will be afforded in this project make it stand out and may be of equal or better footing in the area mention. This is a high quality not a high end plan but it is still a good one. Anytime you get this level of investment, take it. Most places would take it in a heart beat.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM

710 posts, read 2,964,390 times
The company that built and is building the ABQ Uptown Lifestyle Center is El Paso based Hunt Developement Group. Why is it that a local company won't build something similar in EP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso