Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,963,142 times

Advertisements

Races in El Paso:

* Hispanic (76.6%)
* White Non-Hispanic (18.3%)
* Other race (18.2%)
* Two or more races (3.4%)
* Black (3.1%)
* American Indian (1.2%)

From the data on this site.

Lets also consider the number to be about 13% greater in the hispanic population. To take into consideration of the illigals, and the hispanics that dont take the census in fear of being deported...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 AM

92 posts, read 446,018 times
So are you saying anyone who is non-Hispanic should not consider moving to Texas?? I don't understand the point of your post...

I think it makes absolute sense there are so many Hispanics there, considering it's virtually on the border of Mexico. I live in the Chicagoland area, and really, we're not all that much different. We have a rather high population of Hispanics here too.

So what exactly are you trying to say with this post??

Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 PM

30 posts, read 152,529 times
Default El Paso Hispanic

Anyone looking at relocating to El Paso needs to understand there is not a race problem in El Paso. My wife and I are anglos who moved from Baltimore. We were the second couple to join the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce; and were welcomed with open arms from the first meeting we attended. About a third of the city speaks only spanish. If you are not used to spanish only you will quickly learn spanglish. If you want to do business with someone; a hispanic seller and a
ango buyer will find a way in spite of any language obstacles.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 PM

92 posts, read 446,018 times
That's good to hear, Jeff.

I'm actually half-Mexican myself, but was raised by Anglo parents. I live now in an area that was mostly middle-class whites for most my life, but is now largely Hispanic. I'm really not too worried about living in El Paso, but I am curious as to the point of this post.

I also lived in one of the only states where whites are considered a minority (Hawaii), and had no problems whatsover. Many people would say oh you're going to have troubles there, they don't like whites, the military, etc but that was not the case at all. I try to have an open mind no matter where I go.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:03 AM

19 posts, read 137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Races in El Paso:
* Hispanic (76.6%)
* White Non-Hispanic (18.3%)
* Other race (18.2%)
* Two or more races (3.4%)
* Black (3.1%)
* American Indian (1.2%)
From the data on this site.Lets also consider the number to be about 13% greater in the hispanic population. To take into consideration of the illigals, and the hispanics that dont take the census in fear of being deported...
Interesting to say the least!

Last edited by spurs210; 01-26-2007 at 01:30 AM..

Old 01-26-2007, 07:02 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,963,142 times
HAHA, now I get my post removed all over for rants.. lol. Seems I am not liked much around here, cause I speak the truth about our beautiful city. Let me refer you to this post by a person stationed here as a good example of what I have been saying all along.

Quote:
I just posted this for another thread and a family considering moving here. I feel for you! I'm outta here in a matter of months....

Let me put it to you like this. I am a 10 year veteran of the Army and stationed on Ft. Bliss here in El Paso, I am a 29 yo white male and I don't stand a chance here! Avoid it at all cost! My wife has TWO specialized degrees and can't get a job here. She is turned away at every interview because she does not speak spanish. She has an illness that the Army hospital here cannot treat so they are sending her to a doctor here in El Paso. We called twice onc her once me. Neither time could we talk to anyone in the office thatspoke english well enough to even schedule an appointment. Are these the people you want treating your family?
Your car insurance will instantly go up a minimum of 25%(ours was $200 @ 6mo.) because the auto theft rate is so high, and the recovery is so low(they end in up in Mexico). Home owners insurance does the same thing due to theft. To make it even better after 3 years of looking here we have yet to find a home in the 100K range that does not have serious issues due to poor construction, no doubt due to illegal unskilled labor.
Prices are considerably high compared to pay here. The summers are a 115 degree minimum, with regular sand storms that will break the windows in your car, and remove the paint. There is NOTHING green here unless you spend a fortune and have imported dirt put down for your lawn; otherwise you have sand, rocks, and sand.
It may seriously concern you also that "white" kids get beat up and left out in schools here since they don't speak spanish. Half the classes at schools here are in spanish! Most ALL people that I know here that have 3 or more children school age have pulled their children out and are home schooling.....

Good luck to you in your future endeavors

Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,719,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
The summers are a 115 degree minimum, with regular sand storms that will break the windows in your car, and remove the paint. There is NOTHING green here unless you spend a fortune and have imported dirt put down for your lawn; otherwise you have sand, rocks, and sand
Well Muhnay, you are absolutely more than having a right to dislike any region, including El Paso. I have found El Paso in particular to be a very polarizing city/area - people either really, really like it (including gringos/anglos, Hispanics, Asians, etc.), or they really, really HATE it (including yourself, and many other races and ethnicities). So I for one, even though I really like it, completely respect your dislike of it as well! Our differences are what make the country populated all over - if we all thought alike, I suppose a place would have more overpopulation than we've ever seen before!

I do have to say this though - just a few kind points -

A) You sight this fellow's post to back up your dislike of El Paso. I saw his original post as well when he originally posted it. He surely is entitled to his opinion of disliking El Paso. But he really discredits his "argument" with quotes like that of which I pasted above, which are completely unfactual.

He states:

A) "The summers are a 115 degree minimum'

-Unfortunately, this is just statistically inaccurate - by far. If one goes to www.weather.com (The Weather Channel, a trusted leader in nationwide meteorology), goes to yearly averages for El Paso, you'll note that the summer averages are as follows:

May: HIGH 87 / LOW 61
June: HIGH 95 / LOW 69
July: HIGH 94 / LOW 72
August: HIGH 92 / LOW 70
September: HIGH 87 / LOW 64
*You'll note that yes indeed, El Paso summers are quite warm. Surely, many days in the summer also do break higher than the average highs, and get into the low-100s. However, nights - as El Paso is a desert - typically always cool off quite a bit, and it is more than a stretch to state that "the summers are a 115 degree minimum", because that just isn't true. It isn't even true in Phoenix, AZ, although at least there it would be a little more meritous.

*(You'll also note that the ALL TIME recorded high in El Paso ever was 114 degrees, recorded in 1994. So officially, it has not ever even once reached 115 degrees in EP!).

He also states:

B) "regular sand storms that will break the windows in your car, and remove the paint."

Well, as I reside in Albuquerque, it is true that we do - like El Paso - experience some sand storms in the spring particularly. So this isn't entirely lacking in factuality. However, I do find it to be a somewhat misleading statement. Living in Albuquerque now for 3+ years, I have never had a window in any of my cars broken, or paint from any of my cars removed; and we have had some strong winds - comparable, or stronger, than any El Paso has experienced of late.

Other regions encounter strong rain storms that produce tons of hail, can toss around debris or tree limbs, etc. - these can all be very hard on vehicles. They also experience blizzards or ice storms that can really attack a car fairly well; rust from driving in these regions due to heavy salting of roads is a very common car problem we are fortunate not to have in the Southwest. Surely, there are weather factors and conditions in any region that can cause car dents or broken glass, but that is the rare exception, not the norm. I would argue that in a once or twice a year strong sandstorm in the southwest (eg: El Paso) where the wind is strong enough to break car windows, etc., most folks have the ability to park their vehicle in a garage or structure...but I know my house has a one-car garage only, and we use it largely for storage (eg: we never park in it), and I have never had damage from the infamous spring sandstorms (even when I have been in one when I was visiting El Paso) other than dusty windows and sand in my nose.

(CONTINUED IN POST BELOW)...

Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 PM

(CONTINUED FROM POST ABOVE)...

Last issue:

C) "There is NOTHING green here unless you spend a fortune and have imported dirt put down for your lawn; otherwise you have sand, rocks, and sand"

This is just not true. First off, large palm trees sway in most every block in El Paso. The palms are a beautiful green treat that stay that way year-round in EP (and that most climates in our nation cannot support). There are amazingly huge, rare, and beautiful cacti year round in EP that are always green (or purplish). Yuccas, like palms, are beautiful and green year round.

I take this comment came from someone who likely was from the Midwest, Southeast, Northwest, or Northeast who cannot get over the concept of living in a desert. Sure, if you are looking for rolling meadows, lush green forests, and streams/rivers, choosing to live in a desert with 8 inches of annual rainfall will not support that. I would argue that the few desert cities in the nation who support lush green vegetation are being irresponsible with their limited resource - water.

However, due to the mild climate in El Paso, so many beautiful things CAN be grown that cannot in other, colder regions. One just has to find the beauty in the desert. (To this gringo, who grew up in the Midwest, the desert is fully of beauty). I can respect someone who doesn't find the desert beautiful, but to say that there is "nothing green" in El Paso just simply isn't true.

Also, the flip side of having "less green" than other places - of living in the desert - is that you encounter far, far less rainy (or even cloudy) days, and thus you get the joy of a nice sunshine every day (or almost every day). Or, transversely, while the summers are admittedly hot, you get to enjoy spring weather in late Feb./early March (while others wait until May), and you get winters in the 50s and 60s (while others get long stretches of 10s and 20s and gray, gray, gray).

So with this gentleman's dislike of El Paso, he is well within his rights. But to say you are "speaking the truth" and then cite a backup like this with just riddles of infactualities, it hurts your side. If he wants to say "it is just too hot for me here in the summer" - fine. But not "it is a minimum of 115 degrees" because...well...it isn't.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 PM

182 posts, read 708,373 times
Muhnay,

I've had posts deleted, too, so *I* can't respond to Jeff, either. But he can post his side of the story.

No, you can't "get real" here...

-- John D.

P.S. Due to censorship, THIS post may get deleted, too.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Hi Muhnay and cloudcroft -

I do not wish to engage whatsoever in any personal arguments, etc., so I am going to stay out of that fray.

However, I realize both of you folks live in EP and really don't like it at all. I respect that - I lived in Milwaukee, WI for a long time, tired immensely of it, and wanted to get away - so I moved. It happens to us all. I think we all can respect that we all enjoy different areas.

My question for you fellows is more just to change the dialogue a bit to a more positive nature - you both live in El Paso and you both seem to really dislike it. Question: what keeps you there? Is there are a reason you may not move somewhere else? If you do move somewhere else, where is your "ideal" place...because EP surely isn't it!

I live in Albuquerque and like it enough quite a bit, but if I got a job in EP, would consider moving down there - maybe one of us can switch spots!

Best to all posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso