Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times

Advertisements

How old is Philly again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
How old is Philly again?
Wiki says 1682. That is why the development is so dense. People had to walk everywhere back then.

Philly certainly isn't the most dense city, as my previous numbers showed. But, when compared to Phoenix, it's a true city whereas Phoenix really isn't.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Wiki says 1682. That is why the development is so dense. People had to walk everywhere back then.

Philly certainly isn't the most dense city, as my previous numbers showed. But, when compared to Phoenix, it's a true city whereas Phoenix really isn't.
I said that sarcastically. That is why the Philly city limits are so dense. The suburbs are very spaced out (the hills have something to do with it, too).

Old 01-06-2007, 07:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I said that sarcastically. That is why the Philly city limits are so dense. The suburbs are very spaced out (the hills have something to do with it, too).
Not sure your logic regarding city age and density works out. San Francisco is a lot newer and is even more dense than Philly. San Antonio is much older than San Francisco but it's on par with Phoenix as to density.

But again, if you are talking burbs, they are pretty much the same everywhere. McMansions and strip malls. Yippee.

And as I said, Phoenix itself is one big suburb. So if you want to compare strip malls and pre-planned communities instead of actual city density, have fun. And if El Paso's goal is to emulate the likes of Phoenix, no wonder the city has such a sorry reputation.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:32 PM

The reason why I wanted El Paso to become the next Phoenix was because it would bring more high-paying jobs and businesses to El Paso. Sorry you couldn't see that. I hate hearing how El Paso is a slum, and I would like that to change.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Well Guerilla, Time will tell if it changes with the 40 thousand troops on their way here, we shall see if we boone, or nose dive from it. I think at first El Paso is gonna flop on its face. the city is not set up to handle an influx of that many people in such a short time, and I mean over 1-2 years.. thats pretty short for 40K + families to influx a city. Our roads are not ready for that kinda traffic.. and Fort Bliss is no where ready for that many soldiers. Just take a drive on Biggs, head to the back and follow it all the way back you'll see a huge area covered with Mobile Homes.. this is how they plan to house these troops, and they were jam packed with the 4-1 Cav before they were deployed. So where are they gonna live? were are families gonna live? Soldiers in the US arer paid well below poverty, so living on the econemy is pretty hard for anyone E4 and below, and I have seen many E5's struggle here as well. So we need Houseing.. with most of the stuff on post slated to be torn down and rebuilt.. when is that gonna happen, and how long will it take? Where are all the new Barracks, and motor pools?

We still have ADA here that were slated to leave already, because Sill has no place to put them. We had 4-1 Cav here, but they were deployed, but will be back and you know that was around 20K soldiers so with them and the 40K from the Armor, we will be over run here. And now the City council is saying they want more a whole other DIV, if congress passes the military expanion bill. Yes Fort Bliss has the land mass to build on to support them, but can the city? What we need is a city council and a mayor that can sweet talk these big companies back to El Paso, with tax encentives, or what ever it takes. I would love to see a tech park here in El Paso.

Now if you have no military ties getting a job on Fort Bliss is gonna be very hard, and we know there are no jobs off post that pay worth a damn, and very few of them that dont require spanish to obtain them. Military Spouses get first pick, even if you have more experiance than them. MWR on Post is a joke, its so poorly run I am shocked someone above the head honcho here has not come down and made sweeping changes.. but this is El Paso.. so I guess I should not be so shocked.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Muhnay... your forgetting that it will be a boon with all the troops coming to El Paso for all the Panhandlers (windex window washers) at the exits along I-10.....

Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
WAY OFF man.

Here are the number from Wikipedia:

Density (Population/Sq. Mile)
Philly: 10,882.8
Phoenix: 3,077.6

Philly is more than 3X as dense. And that is over the entire city. If we could compare densities for the downtown area I am sure it would be even more striking.

As a comparison (from Wikipedia as well):
El Paso: 337.3
San Antonio: 2,808.5
Dallas: 3,534
Houston: 3,480
Boston: 11,543
Washington: 9,015
Los Angeles: 8,198
New York: 26,720

So, Texas has a serious density problem and El Paso is about the worst.
Muhnay ...looking at these numbers it sounds like you can stretch your legs at least....LOL...Later Dude..

Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
El Paso Area
- City 250.5 mi² / 648.8 km²
- Land 249.08 mi² / 645.11 km²
- Water 1.46 mi² / 3.78 km²
Elevation 3,740 ft / 1140 m
Population (2004)
- City 598,590
- Density 337.3 /mi² - 873.7/km²
- Metro 721,598

Quote:
As a comparison (from Wikipedia as well):
El Paso: 337.3
San Antonio: 2,808.5
Dallas: 3,534
Houston: 3,480
Boston: 11,543
Washington: 9,015
Los Angeles: 8,198
New York: 26,720

So, Texas has a serious density problem and El Paso is about the worst.
Ok, so explain this to me, because our number is so low, we have a higher population in a smaller area? How is El Paso about the worst?

yeah they had got real bad, but recently a law was passed, that they are subject to arrest panhandeling now. Contractors like the News Paper can, but they have to pay the city for a permit, and they have to wear a bright orange safter vest, and they have to follow some rules set by the city, and only between certian hours.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 PM

232 posts, read 995,319 times
Default El Paso the next Phx ??

I just had to comment on this one....

I use to live in Phx....and I recently drove through EP on the way to GA.

I would have to say that looked to me like it could never become what PHX is.

To be honest....It seemed pretty dirty...not a very attractive looking city at all. Hope that didn't offend anyone ?

Best of luck to all that live there if it does grow.....better economy and all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso