Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 05:42 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,791,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
It´s certainly greener in Northern NM, but by no means am I not enthralled by the Saudi Arabia-type landscape of El Paso.
Hmm, actually, I always thought it was closer to Iraq, but without the larger palm trees they have there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 03:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,038,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Hmm, actually, I always thought it was closer to Iraq, but without the larger palm trees they have there.
Yeah, Iraq would work too! Lots of brown sand and few trees. Those boys training at Ft. Bliss from 2003-2010 were getting a good look at what was to come...landscape-wise.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,014,540 times
From what I have heard Albuquerque is not a good city to live in.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:44 PM

710 posts, read 2,963,278 times
As a lifelong resident of Albuquerque, and a frequent visitor to El Paso I'll chime in. Albuquerque does have a much bigger crime problem than El Paso, but fortunately for those of us who live here, the violent crimes are slowly on the decline, and confined to a few areas of town. Property crimes are still high over most of the city though, and somewhat in El Paso too. I see more bars on windows in El Paso than I see here in Albuquerque. Our demographics are almost identical and the reason our violent crime is higher is two-fold. One, Texas has a much stronger stance on criminals, especially violent crimes and repeat offenders, so that definitely helps El Paso. NM as a state with strong democratic roots has typically been softer on crime than our neighbors in Texas and Arizona. Another big plus for El Paso's violent crime is the fact that it is a border city. You have thousands of additional police officers with the FBI, DEA, US Customs, and most significantly the Border Patrol. Being on the border with one of the most violent cities in the world, El Paso gets a lot more help from federal police agencies than we do in Albuquerque. That said, our FBI, DEA, and ATF offices all doubled in size to help local authorities here in Albuquerque to reduce our violent crimes. I do believe the justice system here has also improved, and we're seeing slow and steady improvements. I will say, and maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never been a victim of violent crime here in Albuquerque in 46 years, as I know when and where not to be, and typically wouldn't go there anyway.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:23 AM

111 posts, read 177,242 times
It really comes down to what you want and perspective. I enjoy my low new mexico taxes so i live in santa teresa. Its a very quiet community and really an extension of the west side of el paso. Albq has some nice areas. My issue with albq is the crime. The crime may be going down in some areas but just do a simple google search for albq and look at the news section and these are the first things you see as of today

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...-2020/5939208/

https://www.krqe.com/news/crime/thie...querque-porch/

This was just two years ago:
https://www.krqe.com/news/latest-new...-cars-in-2018/

Granted things like this happen in cities around the country, including El Paso but for a city the size of albq it is really high. It is unfortunate because the people originally from ALBQ are good people, however albq has become a stopping point for many people leaving areas like LA and this brings crime to the city unfortunately.

Albq is begining to attract more business and work with Netflix and Facebook expanding there which is good though. Definitely more positives for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso