Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 AM

8 posts, read 9,122 times

Advertisements

The house that we are buying may have some extenuating circumstances. It is located in Cimarron (just off of Transmountain) and was built in 2012. The current homeowners apparently never filed for a homestead exemption. If it wasn't for the price, location, seller concessions, and the fact that it is a nice house, I would have passed on it. The CAD has the house's size as being ~300 sq. ft. larger than what it really is. So, hopefully, I can appeal the valuation and get the tax bill cut. Every little bit helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 10:29 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
We get beat up bad on property taxes in Texas. So much so that I sometimes wonder if we really do come out ahead by not having the income tax. If you compare the estimated mortgage payment in Texas to other states on real estate sites, it is sad. Utilities are also not that cheap since we have the dumb "deregulated" electricity.

Texas is definitely not one of the lowest cost of living states overall. But the states that are cheaper tend to have fewer job opportunities or social problems like rampant opioid addiction.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 9,122 times
Oh, you have no idea. Florida is most definitely one of those states. If you drive through some of the lower income areas in the Florida metros, you will see a lot of "pain management clinics". It seems to me the government is constantly playing a game of whack-a-mole with these quacks as new clinics are always popping up after raids.

Now, while I cannot speak for other lines of work, technology jobs are fairly plentiful here in Florida. The problem is that the job you "want" may be in Orlando instead of Miami and you will have to move. However, if one is looking for a job that one "needs" (e.g.: one has been laid off and needs to pay the bills), one can typically find one fairly quickly and without having to move.

By the way, what are the best options for internet and television service out there? Here, we have Frontier FiOS and Spectrum as our major providers.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:29 PM

89 posts, read 107,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tflehto View Post
By the way, what are the best options for internet and television service out there? Here, we have Frontier FiOS and Spectrum as our major providers.
Spectrum and ATT. I just get internet from ATT which is $41 for 17mbps. Spectrum has 100mbs for $65. Adding TV is outrageous pricing per month but probably the same as Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso