Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 PM

53 posts, read 98,353 times

Advertisements

I'm building an off grid home in the desert. I'll share my ideas and dreams, and I'd like to hear yours. if you're building or thinking about it chime in.
I'm about 10 miles out hwy. RM 1111, from Sierra Blanca, and 2 miles out on dirt roads. I have an empty shed 12x34. Which I'll build a bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and living room. 200watt solar kit, a 330 gal tank. Now I can put it together. I'll use An old satellite dish to mount my solar panels on so I can track the sun. I only have one deep cycle battery now, but I'll get more. I'll also have to get more panels. For $650.00 I can get a 600 watt wind generator. I'll need at least 12 batteries for a good start.
My water tank I'll mount near the cabin and as high as I can to help with water pressure. A small R/V water pump will be my start up water system. I'll need another tank that I can run into town for water, then transfer it into my stationary tank.
For now my sewage will be into a holding tank which I'll have to transport to the R/V park in town. A receipt will be proof for the inspector that I'm not dumping raw sewage illegally. By the way sewage is the only thing that there is regulations for. Which I don't mind. No building codes, you can make your dwelling what ever you want. Cardboard and pallets if you want.
A few lots have electric at a premium price, but most lots don't have electric. And no lots have water. This is definitely Off Grid Living.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
By yourself?
What do you plan to do way out there?
No internet?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:26 PM

I'll have sat tv soon. I do have cell phone at my lot.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:31 PM

By the way, the purpose of off grid living is to get away from the Internet and city living.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Really want to go off grid? No water and no electric. Now you are off grid. Internet is probably more off grid than either.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 PM

Off grid only means not using the national grid system. No wires coming to your house from the electric company. It doesn't mean doing without electricity. I'm making my own. It's the challenge to see if you're up to it. Many people are out here doing this, and most have different ways to provide for themselves. Internet is a very useful tool, but not a necessity. Television is really not necessary. I know I stated earlier that I might get sat TV, but that was more a statement as to what I could do. I'll probably never get sat TV.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:04 AM

575 posts, read 883,869 times
I'm glad to know you are planning to buy supplemental water, because it's not going to rain enough to meet all your water needs. What about a composting toilet?

bookshelves. you're gonna need books so you don't go crazy.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:37 AM

Rain for water is definitely not an option. I can buy water from Sierra Blanca for about $36. A month for the first 2000 gals. At 330 gals I can make 6 trips a month. That's a lot of water. As for books, I have plenty, but I won't have much time for reading. There is too much work to do. The only regulations are for sewage, so I don't think composting is an option there.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:29 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow post View Post
Off grid only means not using the national grid system. No wires coming to your house from the electric company. It doesn't mean doing without electricity. I'm making my own. It's the challenge to see if you're up to it. Many people are out here doing this, and most have different ways to provide for themselves. Internet is a very useful tool, but not a necessity. Television is really not necessary. I know I stated earlier that I might get sat TV, but that was more a statement as to what I could do. I'll probably never get sat TV.
YOu are kidding yourself. You are not off grid without a reliable local source of water. The roads have to work, You truck has to work. Your water supplier and its water supplier has to work. That is all part of the "grid".

If you have access to the electric grid you should probably take advantage of it. You can back up with a limited local capability to run at a primitive level when the grid is down. But the grid is very cost effective compared to local energy storage.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:21 PM

Ivoc, your last post really doesn't make any sense. You say to be off grid you have to have a water supply. ??? The grid refers to the electric power grid, the power poles. The Grid Has nothing to do with water or Internet. But I didn't start this thread for you to try to knock me. It's really simple if you don't agree with what I have to say, just don't say it. Go your own way, I'll not knock you for your opinion. Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso