Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 04:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
If you are able to, you might wish to choose Sunday rather than Saturday - less traffic usually. Hope you have some great weather.
The weather cooperated for the most part and I did it this morning.

Rode over 375 Transmountain today and looped around the south end of the mountain back home. 35 miles in 5 hours. The first 7 miles is a gradual incline from 3800 feet to 5280 feet. Various hills on the back half of the ride as well that I swear were 20-25% grades. During the entire ride, I kept asking myself, "Why am I doing this???" LOL. Some of the hills on Murchison and Schuster killed my legs. I kept focus though taking breaks when needed and told myself that it's a marathon, not a race.

Set off around 7:15 this morning. Getting to the first observation point from the west side is a long and grueling climb.

Weather cooperated for the most part. Got a little breezy at some points with the head wind, made it tough with a head wind and a hill but I made it through.

When I was coming down the east side towards 54, saw a couple of guys riding up and a couple of guys hiking up.

My route started from Helen of Troy and I took:

-north on Resler
-east on 375
-south on the street that parallels 54
-south on Dyer
-west on Murchison which turned into Schuster
-north on Mesa
-north of Resler back to Helen of Troy

The next challenge is to ride up Transmountain from the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
During the winter season the air gets traped over El Paso/Juarez and forms a diversion layer of smog over the both cities, either until the southernly or westernly winds kick in and blow the stuff away,then there will be clearness and the cycle repeats itself till around springtime when the dust storms roll around, thats mother nature doings, El Paso has no control of that, and if you think the gust of wind is bad there, you should see the gust of winds in the Sierras of California, now thats really bad.
I have been all set to retire in Tucson, and then decided to do some research on El Paso. I went through every page of this Photo Thread tonite, but it's this one passage that scares me. I have COPD, and I must also think that I'd be living in a higher altitude which will be a bit more taxing on my lungs, but the winter season with smog gives me reason to pause. As far as the winds, dust storms, well, I've survived 19 years of that in Las Vegas and I'm still alive!

As far as Border cities, I've never been afraid of any of them along the Mexican border, no matter what is going on over there, even 10 murders a day! I've been to Juarez, enjoyed it, and, to me, that's one additional reason for moving there, cantina hopping over there on a Saturday night, and their pharmacias for cheaper medications.

I've also taken the bus down to Chihuahua, and loved it, an additional reason for choosing El Paso. El Paso is a rather isolated city, and no matter what city you move to, boredom/restlessness will set in, and then? I wanna get away, where to go from here?

To the west, forget about a long drive to Odessa, Dallas, San Antonio! Yes, there's Albuquerque to the north, but no Santa Fe lover. And then, well, head south for a couple days!

Being I consider Juarez and El Paso to be one big combined city, it would be nice to also upload some photo's on the other side, which may lure even more people to El Paso!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 9,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
BTW, I've never been to El Paso but from all of the pictures, it's BEAUTIFUL! It reminds me of Reno, NV, a place I lived in for two years and loved it.
I grew up in Reno, 20 years and now I'm in el paso and a lot of the little things remind me of home

Old 11-19-2015, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,067 times
My kids and I did this outside of our house in northeast El Paso
Attached Thumbnails
Official Photo Thread for El Paso-picsart_11-17-04.49.58.jpg  

Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,422 times
Thank you all for the photos. Had no idea there was that much mountain range and definitely didnt know you got snow! Life is good when you get some snow and waiting for ours which is due soon.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 PM

37 posts, read 50,877 times
I really like what I've seen of El Paso. Also, I understand the humidity is very low, unlike the high humidity of Southeast Texas. Maybe making a move there
in the foreseeable future.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Cool Pictures of El Paso

Old 11-22-2020, 11:03 PM

22 posts, read 101,632 times
a video i took from work . https://live.staticflickr.com/video/...ODEiLCJ2IjoxfQ

Old 02-03-2021, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,421 times
Smile PHOTOS of EL PASO

YES, the sunsets in El Paso are unequaled ANYWHERE and we're talking about EVERY night practically. I have a question. Those rock and cement walls that are behind EVERY structure in EP. Where do they get all those rocks to build so many walls like that? Notice, you never see a fence in EP (unless its security stuff near the border) but those rock walls are ubiquitous. Also, the drainage ditch system throughout the city is amazing. I suppose they were built to protect against the flash floods, but those still happen at times. The only downside to EP's desert weather is that constant wind. It really drove me nuts and I still remember walking backwards to elementary school because the sand in my face was SUCH a bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso