Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,942 times

Advertisements

I guess they are really serious then about revitalizing downtown, I hope someone buys the old Kress building and turns it into a mega Gap or Babana Republic or even a Potery Barn kinda store.

It will be great to see the Plaza Hotel back in business, I think bringing the old downtown back to life will inspire more success and attract more commerce downtown,
I cant wait to move back to El Paso, I could never render away my pride for that city no matter where I live in the world considering that I live in a very beautiful city at the moment, but El Paso never leaves my mind and I'm going back home no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 PM

29 posts, read 115,787 times
Unfortunately, several buildings, like the Kress (and Caples) are owned by William Abraham, a collector of historically important buildings who does not maintain them. All of his buildings are falling apart. It's tremendously sad to see these beautiful buildings in such states of disrepair. In fact, he was the owner of the Fall Mansion on Arizona Ave. before the city finally began the process to take it away. Maybe it will take someone like Paul Foster to talk Mr. Abraham into selling.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:39 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,719,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mando111 View Post
Unfortunately, several buildings, like the Kress (and Caples) are owned by William Abraham, a collector of historically important buildings who does not maintain them.
Here is an article on the Caples building from the latest El Paso Inc.:

http://www.elpasoinc.com/showArticle.asp?articleId=2177 (broken link)

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 02-18-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM

29 posts, read 115,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

Hey, isn't EP full of leaders who advocate the somewhat unAmerican practice of "public domain"???? If so, hey, why not apply it here? This fellow may be rich, but if he's crudding away potentially landmark locations for EP's revitalization Downtown, why not apply it in this instance?
Mr. Abraham is indeed headed down the eminent domain path, simply due to the fact that some of his buildings are a public nuisance and truly blighted. But property rights in Texas are actually really strong, so trying to use eminent domain to acquire a blighted building like the Kress is largely unappealing. There are about a thousand steps (hyperbole) that the city would need to take before even getting to a hearing. And all Mr. Abraham has to do is show the smallest effort, like putting a lock on a door or painting a wall, and the process begins all over again.

The mayor and council members who are in favor of the Downtown Plan know this, so they'd much rather avoid the use of eminent domain. And they don't really advocate its use, but simply do not want to remove it as a tool.

(On a side note, if the eminent domain argument is going to rage on, can it please have its own thread, seeing as Levow started this one for the latest news on downtown redevelopment? Just an observation. )

Old 02-18-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
(On a side note, if the eminent domain argument is going to rage on, can it please have its own thread, seeing as Levow started this one for the latest news on downtown redevelopment? Just an observation. )
Sure, your wish is my command mando. Just started one!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 PM

421 posts, read 2,157,298 times
Quote:
Seeing how eminent domain and the downtown plan are so closely linked, I think all thoughts and views in one thread would probably be more helpful..

Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, several buildings, like the Kress (and Caples) are owned by William Abraham, a collector of historically important buildings who does not maintain them. All of his buildings are falling apart. It's tremendously sad to see these beautiful buildings in such states of disrepair. In fact, he was the owner of the Fall Mansion on Arizona Ave. before the city finally began the process to take it away. Maybe it will take someone like Paul Foster to talk Mr. Abraham into selling.

Well maybe there is hope after all Paul Foster did buy the Plaza Hotel from the Dipp family and maybe he could also have an offer to make for the Kress buidling and the Caples building.

These are buildings that have architectual and historical value and are worth preserving and restoring and putting back into good use.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
Those are some interesting ideas they have planned for the chase building. Sounds great. A city's downtown should be the epicenter of all kinds of ideas, buisinesses, etc. But you also gotta keep some of the flavor and character of what's already there. That's what makes downtowns interesting and a little adventurous. You don't know what you'll find around the corner. If the opposite were true, people could get the same thing in the suburbs. Then what would be the point of coming downtown? There has to be places you can only shop/dine/play at there. That's what'll create a draw for everyone across town. It's a delicate balance to have just enough grit to make the urban areas edgy and raw, but nice enough overall that it doesn't feel so commercialized and cartoony. You gotta have some of the national chains right up alongside the mom & pop places. A wide assortment of options should be available. Downtown shouldn't just be for any one demographic group. It's the peoples downtown. Ok my little idealistic spew over.

Yes. There's no need to try to make El Paso into something it's not -- and it's not San Antonio or Austin or Dallas or any of those "cool" cities. It has it's own history and feel.

I don't see why eminent domain is needed. Certain developers or restorers can legitimately buy up some places and start the ball rolling. There are existing property owners who would likely get on the bandwagon without using the government to confiscate what they own. That way the people can profit also, not just the big money types.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. There's no need to try to make El Paso into something it's not -- and it's not San Antonio or Austin or Dallas or any of those "cool" cities. It has it's own history and feel.
I cannot describe just how much I agree with this statement malamute.

This is a major reason among many else why I really like El Paso.

I always shudder a bit when people try to change the cities I really love - El Paso and Albuquerque - into being so much more like those "cool" cities you describe. Sure, progress isn't a bad thing at all, but El Paso is unique and EP should be proud of that.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM

The downtown revitalization is not about making El Paso look like some other city, it's about improving where El Paso badly has neglected to improve, when people from elsewhere come to El Paso and see our downtown you can rest assure that these people from elsewhere will be lodging and having breakfast the very next morning in San Antonio, Austin or Dallas.

The main problem with El Paso is that there are some people that have nothing good to contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso