Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM

471 posts, read 807,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cte1866 View Post
It sounds like a depressed area and not a whole lot of things to do.
Kinda sorta. It's okay. I guess. I miss the mountains but that's about it. Not much in the way of upscale shopping. The Outlet Shoppes west of trans mountain is kind of cool. If they aren't into hobbies or any outdoor stuff it would probably blow for them. Can't even go across to mexico if you want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM

194 posts, read 440,640 times
The main reason I discourage people from moving to El Paso is the job market. Since OP's parents are retirees, I don't really see what the problem is. El Paso is a wonderful place to retire. A lot of people WANT to live somewhere boring during the twilight of life.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 PM

130 posts, read 322,412 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the information. Let me clarify: my parents were stationed in ELP. Not long after I was born we moved to LA where they lived previous to being stationed at Bliss. Then mid-70's moved to the midwest. All of my family is back in LA. We have no family in ELP even though my parents want to retire there.
Nordstrom's is exactly what my mother likes. My parents don't have hobbies. They like to read and shop, that's about it. I was hoping my parents would actually rent a place and stay for a bit to see if they really liked it there. Visiting once every couple of years to me is not enough to give a realistic view of any place you want to live. I just hope this doesn't turn into a disaster.
There is a void in upscale shopping likenordstroms - in fact the better quality stores we do have (macys etc) more closely resemble mervyns in the Midwest.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 AM

16 posts, read 20,150 times
"I've heard of helicopter parenting, but I've never heard of being a helicopter daughter!"

How about a helicopter son? Retiring is a big step in your life so I want them to be happy. Plus I am curious about ELP since I haven't been back since I was born. Though I do have a feeling I'll be back more often now!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:21 AM

643 posts, read 1,314,342 times
El Paso is a wonderful place for retirees. I know that cold weather can be a problem for older people with arthritis. El Paso weather does not get as cold as the midwest and that might be a good reason to move. Not to mention the ability for them to get out and about during the winter months. If there are constant snow storms that is limited.
El Paso shopping is not as bad as people make it seem. You can now shop online to get better deals and get them delivered to your door!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 AM

471 posts, read 807,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
You can now shop online to get better deals and get them delivered to your door!
I'm not sure that's what the OP's parents had in mind

Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM

194 posts, read 440,640 times
Quote:
"I've heard of helicopter parenting, but I've never heard of being a helicopter daughter!"

How about a helicopter son? Retiring is a big step in your life so I want them to be happy. Plus I am curious about ELP since I haven't been back since I was born. Though I do have a feeling I'll be back more often now!
I know, I was just razzing you. Still, I see a lot of adults who treat their elderly parents like children. If they want to move to EP, you don't have to agree with it to be supportive.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
They can always move back out if they find they don't like it.

El Paso might be boring but I'd rather be bored in sunshine than doing anything in blizzards, snowstorms, or cloudy skies.

In fact as long as the weather is great, there's no reason to be bored, you can get out and ride a bike, take a walk, go hiking up in the Franklins, ride horses, go camping in the mountains.

It's what someone thinks is boring. To me shopping would be - and luckily in El Paso, no one cares how much your clothes cost. There really are more than enough shopping places here, Dillards has upscale kind of clothes too.

The biggest problem here I think are the high taxes. You pay a whole lot more for an average house here than people in other places pay and you get a whole lot less outdoor space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: