Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:07 PM

491 posts, read 1,045,868 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of any restaurants in El Paso (or the surrounding area) that serve PR, Dominican or Columbian food?

I rememeber seeing a thread on PR food (I apologize for the repeat thread), but it seems all the restaurants listed were closed.

Does anyone know of any new ones? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 15,740 times
A Dominican restaurant would be nice so I can stop by and grab me some plátano maduros, mangú and arroz con pollo once in a while. i can't miss out on my Mexican food though!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,843 times
I don't believe there are any. I could go for a bowl of sancocho right about now. I think nearest would be Houston, Dallas or Phoenix -- that is, if they still allow latinos in AZ, tee-hee.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
I guess there wasn't enough demand. I know the one across the street from me closed down. It is now packed all the time but is not a PR restaurant. I don't know the fate of the other ones that were mentioned in the other thread.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Just learn to like Mexican food, learn to like it all the time except for an occasional hamburger since we have the usual fast food chains here, you can get a break once in a while.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:58 PM

491 posts, read 1,045,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Just learn to like Mexican food, learn to like it all the time except for an occasional hamburger since we have the usual fast food chains here, you can get a break once in a while.
I'm actually Mexican myself, I LOVE, LOVE , LOVE Mexican food! Especially my moms!!

I was asking for my coworker actually. He's from Honduras and we were talking about him missing all the food from back home. He mentioned PR food being the closest tasting to Honduran food, so I was trying to find a restaurant (even just a hole in the wall place) to help make him feel a little more at home.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMOM83 View Post
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows of any restaurants in El Paso (or the surrounding area) that serve PR, Dominican or Columbian food?

I rememeber seeing a thread on PR food (I apologize for the repeat thread), but it seems all the restaurants listed were closed.

Does anyone know of any new ones? Thanks for your help!

Maybe you could cook these dishes yourself...

Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM

158 posts, read 438,994 times
I wish we had a Cuban restaurant here. I think it's similar to PR. Just got back from FL a couple of weeks ago and I was in heaven with all the food choices. I'm also thinking that he's simply going to have to make many of the dishes he likes on his own.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMOM83 View Post
I'm actually Mexican myself, I LOVE, LOVE , LOVE Mexican food! Especially my moms!!

I was asking for my coworker actually. He's from Honduras and we were talking about him missing all the food from back home. He mentioned PR food being the closest tasting to Honduran food, so I was trying to find a restaurant (even just a hole in the wall place) to help make him feel a little more at home.
Well tell him to just learn to love Mexican food - if there are still any PR food places around, they're very few and far between. There was a PR restaurant somewhere on the east side but often those places seem to come and go quickly.

It's just not like other places when it comes to food choices.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Learning to like Mexican Food isn't good advice. At least not as a substitute for someone wanting Puerto Rican food. There just isn't a large enough demand for Puerto Rican food here (I assume). There was a similar thread about a year ago and about three or four places were mentioned. Like I said above, I know the one across the street from me is no longer serving Puerto Rican food.

I disagree that we do not have a lot of food choices here. I will admit that the different types of food are not available in equal numbers. Lets get that out of the way. There are plenty of choices though - just like a lot of other places. Not all Chinese restaurants in El Paso are buffets. Lets get that one out of the way too. There are quite a few Italian restaurants, Japanese restaurants, and Sushi restaurants in El Paso. Is there a German restaurant on every street corner in the bordertown of El Paso? No, but there are a few German restaurants in El Paso.

All you have to do is drive up and down Zaragosa, Lee Trevino, 1-10, Dyer, or Mesa (to name a few). Yes, Mexican restaurants are going to be more common. Not because Paso Del Norte and the evil City Government is forcing it on us. But because that is what is most in demand in El Paso. Just cruise those streets and you are going to see a great variety of restaurants. Actually, just go to the Cincinnati area. Great variety and a lot of non-chain restaurants there. Go to the Las Palmas/Tinseltown area if you want a variety of big chain restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso