Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

If you have desert tortoises (not sure about the box turtles), please be sure to allow them access to dig a burrow for winter time. They need to have somewhere to hibernate.

I don't know the specifics for smaller turtles, but we had some that dug into a dirt "wall" every winter. We always worried about it as it was smaller, but it would come out in the spring and be very hungry.

We also "fostered" a really large (40 year old) desert tortoise and made a big pile of dirt in a corner of the yard, which he burrowed into. Otherwise, in his old house, he would dig under a patio slab and winter down below the patio.

If they don't get deep enough into the dirt, they won't be insulated from the winter cold and could die.

We always put out lettuce and other veggie/fruits once in a while as an alternative to the yard plants and grass. Remember that the bite marks in the large nopals are usually from desert tortoises, so if you use nopales, give one to your tortoise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
If you are looking for a home, I would be more then happy to take it off your hands. please e-mail me at [email]lfender.hanson@gmail.com[/email]

Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
Smile hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
My friend Georgina has 70 of them in her yard. She found a way to number them too and might be able to part with one for a good home.

I really want one of that kind of turtoise if you can contact me to ask your friend if she can give me onee thanks

Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
i would love to keep this turtle if ur giving him away call me or text me at 9155021890

Old 02-20-2023, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 466 times
Love to adopt 5 desert box turtles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso