Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,314,637 times

Advertisements

APNewsBreak: Nearly 1 in 4 fails military exam - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101221/ap_on_re_us/us_military_exam - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,312,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Didn't post it to bash Florida, Florida itself ranks 45 in graduation rates....That is NOT my fault I graduated a long time and thankfully not in FL.

I just never thought kids have issues getting into Military...that is new to me.

In 2005:
State: Schools still rank near the bottom
It is not as easy as people think. Especially for specialized jobs. I had to take the ASVAB, which I found easy and scored near perfect on, but then I had to take a test called the ARMY ANALYSIS APTITUDE TEST, to become a Signals Intelligence Analyst, which was not as easy. I did pass, but could have done better.

People think it is a peice of cake to join the military and that anyone can do it. I am glad this article sheds light on the fact that it is not. I have met some incredibly stupid people in the military (not in my line of work) and cant imagine how dumb the people that fail the ASVAB are. you only need a 31 out of 99 for a lot of combat arms/military police jobs.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:27 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,755,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
It is not as easy as people think. Especially for specialized jobs. I had to take the ASVAB, which I found easy and scored near perfect on, but then I had to take a test called the ARMY ANALYSIS APTITUDE TEST, to become a Signals Intelligence Analyst, which was not as easy. I did pass, but could have done better.

People think it is a peice of cake to join the military and that anyone can do it. I am glad this article sheds light on the fact that it is not. I have met some incredibly stupid people in the military (not in my line of work) and cant imagine how dumb the people that fail the ASVAB are. you only need a 31 out of 99 for a lot of combat arms/military police jobs.
I agree, it is very difficult to join the military. I heard of a guy who got disqualified for have sweaty palms, WTF

Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 AM

I said that because "MIAMI" was quoted....Typed in the top of the article....

Do they keep 31 out of 99 for some sick population control? the difference seems quite big! I mean, if it was 79 out 99 it would make more sense! wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Well if the gun slips out of his hands because of that, he might hurt innocent ppl.....including himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I agree, it is very difficult to join the military. I heard of a guy who got disqualified for have sweaty palms, WTF

Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,375,935 times
I had to click this on just to see what "Here's education here again" could possibly be about. If you're going to poke fun of an educational system, better start with good sentence formation.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 AM

well...I had an issue with the title ....but all I could think of were sarcastic remarks unfortunately.....because it is a bit mind blowing to read that....

Sorry, that was as unsarcastic as I could be....

The last line of the article is so sad that I find it hard to find an appropriate title.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I had to click this on just to see what "Here's education here again" could possibly be about. If you're going to poke fun of an educational system, better start with good sentence formation.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,755,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well if the gun slips out of his hands because of that, he might hurt innocent ppl.....including himself
That's what gloves are for.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,312,580 times
great... main article has been changed by algia, subsequently making me look like an idiot- resulting in keeper deleting my posts and moving it to another forum.

Good job algia- those of us who were in here early are aware of your shenanigans. You might have fooled the moderator this time, but we still know what your original intent was. You failed miserably, changed the link of the article completely, and drove the thread off track before too many saw what a rediculous mistake you made in your attempt to erroniously bash florida once again.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
I have to ask who takes the military entrance exam? Does this represent a cross section of the population? Or has the college bound crowd been skimmed from the top already?

In my school, 93% of students claim they are headed for a 4 year university and only 2% claim they are headed for the military. Where that 2% fits in the continuium could make a world of difference. I'd be willing to bet that 2% is more likely to include our bottom students than our top.

Not to put down the military but, my experience has been that it's students who don't have other choices who choose the military. Maybe because they can get college money or they just don't have anything else. If that is the case, it should not be surprising that 1 in 4 don't pass the exam to get in. That 3 out of 4 do should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education