Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,164,847 times
link

It's better than the hyperinflation I've been worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,868 times
Hyperinflation will surely come once the fed has to suck up all the excess dollars they have printed. I am guessing within 2 years inflation will roar back, oil prices will skyrocket and president BHO will look just as confused as the current cardboard cutout

Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
IMHO I think we'll see deflation first and then hyperinflation. All this money being pumped into the system will eventually come back to haunt us in the form of hyperinflation unless the Fed/Treasury/IMF and other world banks can suck it back in again.

They are pumping money like there's no tomorrow yet liquidity is still tight.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,380,278 times
The mortgage market is certainly pricing in inflation. Its up 1/2 a point this week.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:39 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,285,187 times
The Fed and other central banks can reign in monetary inflation pretty quick.

If things heat up, and economies start picking up... all they have to do is slowly raise the reserve requirements and sell treasuries and raise taxes inline with banks credit expansion.

The problem with last time was that they didn't reduce the money supply fast enough and rates stayed low for a few years giving banks and financial institutions a gaping hole to exploit.... oh, I mean "capitalize" on.

-chuck22b

Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,325,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
The Fed and other central banks can reign in monetary inflation pretty quick.

If things heat up, and economies start picking up... all they have to do is slowly raise the reserve requirements and sell treasuries and raise taxes inline with banks credit expansion.

The problem with last time was that they didn't reduce the money supply fast enough and rates stayed low for a few years giving banks and financial institutions a gaping hole to exploit.... oh, I mean "capitalize" on.

-chuck22b
I'm afraid that sound economic policy has taken back seat to reckless social policy over the past several years and I am not too confident going forward.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,793,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I'm afraid that sound economic policy has taken back seat to reckless social policy over the past several years and I am not too confident going forward.
Is ANYONE truly confident going forward no matter who wins the election? For the first time in my adult life, I am really scared about what the future will bring.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,766,593 times
Deflation is impossible, the crooks printing the money can crank out cash faster than anyone can deflate. Once the deflationary pressures ease, expect inflation to explode like a room full of gasoline vapors. I expect inflation to start building up more steam by the end of this year and crank up next spring.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,495,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Deflation is impossible, the crooks printing the money can crank out cash faster than anyone can deflate.
I second that motion! I would add, "faster than anyone wants to deflate". Helicopter Ben has studied the Great Depression in detail, and determined that failure to keep the money supply "adequate" was what caused the 1929 crash and subsequent deflation.

He is hell-bound and determined not to allow that to happen again!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I second that motion! I would add, "faster than anyone wants to deflate". Helicopter Ben has studied the Great Depression in detail, and determined that failure to keep the money supply "adequate" was what caused the 1929 crash and subsequent deflation.

He is hell-bound and determined not to allow that to happen again!
The problem though, it seems, is that the money is going to the banks and then sitting there. Commerical Paper, Letters of Credit, loans, mortgages are not seeing this influx of money.

The money is NOT getting into the system and that is having an affect right now and will get worse over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics