Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 10:26 PM

13,123 posts, read 7,603,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
The current direction is for the federal government to forgive student loans.
It's a bookkeeping exercise.
It's a realization that the borrowers will never payoff the loans.
It's a acknowledgement that the loans needs to be written off the budget rather than artificially accrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 06:14 AM

17,519 posts, read 22,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
maybe kids and parents will stop throwing money away on useless degrees and expensive out of state schools they can’t afford.

there are lots of ways kids can pay for school , but i don’t know of one loan the parents can take to fund their retirement or inability to work longer.

many kids and parents have been totally irresponsible when it comes to college

THIS!^^^^^^^^

I don't believe in student loans. Find a way to make it work without the debt! Work full time/go to school part time, get your employer to pay for school whatever.

If the loans dry up, guess what the schools will have to get cheaper or they won't have any students! Supply lots of loan money and the schools will spend it freely!

Old 05-17-2024, 06:54 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,105,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
THIS!^^^^^^^^

I don't believe in student loans. Find a way to make it work without the debt! Work full time/go to school part time, get your employer to pay for school whatever.

If the loans dry up, guess what the schools will have to get cheaper or they won't have any students! Supply lots of loan money and the schools will spend it freely!
As a result of student loans, college tuition has increased far faster than the rate of inflation. In addition, since the baby boomers are aging, there are too many colleges. It is long past time to phase out student loans.

Old 05-17-2024, 07:52 AM

8,089 posts, read 4,000,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
FWIW our local K of C council has a scholarship available, and there are Zero applicants. It's not a ton of money, but Zero applicants? It's being rolled over til next year.

At one particular pre-graduation ceremony when my younger son was in HS, this one girl seems to have been awarded about a dozen scholarships, I think around $500 each but they added up!
I've funded a scholarship to graduating seniors of my former high school to attend my undergraduate college. No takers. But of course it requires they win admittance.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:18 AM

13,123 posts, read 7,603,707 times
Quote:
I've funded a scholarship to graduating seniors of my former high school to attend my undergraduate college. No takers. But of course it requires theege y win admittance.
good.
need more marketing.

In our son's time (2002-2006), some scholarships were too small for the amount of time invested.
Even a NMS award is fairly small compared to the cost of college that he attended. He was a NMF.
We were a full pay FAFSA family. But by the College method for calculating need based aid, we/he would have been eligible for considerable amount.
We used federal guaranteed student/Parents' loans at 4%-1%. for 80% of total cost of attendance. The remainder was from a small scholarship and college's competitive offer to peer schools.

Today's Guaranteed student loans are lagging to the cost of attendance.

I have, just a general interest in this matter. We (son and us) have decided to payoff early (2029) the PLUS @3.25% this month.

Old 05-20-2024, 12:54 PM

7,099 posts, read 2,770,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I see nothing wrong with the interest rate (cost of money) for student loans. In my son's time, the cost was, 3month T-Bills (june auction) + 1.7%, which would mean that the 2024 students have a relative bargain on rates.

Here is the historical cost .

1. Student loans should be interest free as long as they are paid off within 10 years.

2. The only loans that should be eligible for discharge are those where the borrower has already paid back the original principal.

3. No amount of a student loan that was used for anything other than tuition can be discharged.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

8,089 posts, read 4,000,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
3. No amount of a student loan that was used for anything other than tuition can be discharged.
Wait. You're saying if the student loan is used for a 3-day weekend in Vegas then it can't be discharged?

Old Today, 12:07 PM

7,099 posts, read 2,770,766 times
Quote:
Wait. You're saying if the student loan is used for a 3-day weekend in Vegas then it can't be discharged?
No, you can't enroll in 4 classes and drop 3 to get a refund and spend it on a "boob job" like many girls do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics