Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 04:46 PM

10,721 posts, read 5,661,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That dude just doesn't understand, $12/hr. is a lot better than $0/hr. AND, more to the point, how is he supporting himself, currently???
My guess is that '@sobeatmya$$' is rendering himself unemployable due to a consistent string of bad decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
That anyone breathing can walk into a McDonalds, grocery store or something similar and get paid at least $18. You can apply in the morning and start working that afternoon. Dairy Queen by me advertises as such. Minimum wage in the state is $14.25. But that's meaningless now.

They eliminated some cashiers but they still need a similar # of team members to run the place. They just don't need someone standing around at a counter. E.g., I notice they have 2 people running drive-thru now, used to have one. Cashiers used to man the registers and clean the dining room, but eat-ins in fast food dining rooms are way down since Covid, they don't need someone to staff an empty dining room.

But it's not just here. I recently was on a 3 week road trop through 11 states. I saw this everywhere. Lowest advertised wage I saw was in Arkansas, around $13.
So, no evidence?

Old 04-16-2024, 04:54 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...taking-it.html

That person thinks they're worth more than $12 an hour so they won't show up. What to stick it to the man...
Any job at any of their competitors are all paying that and they all need people.

He said it in the video. $12 an hour is not worth his time to even go to the store. Or as he put it "I won't wipe my ***** for $12 an hour."

They gave him the job before he even accepted so they must be desperate. They'll learn when they get zero applicants. Which apparently is what they're getting since they interpreted no response as acceptance.

I experienced this when I applied for a side gig. All these establishments pay the same, and they all want you to work the same shifts for limited hours. Since covid, business hours have conflated. They ALL want you to work 4-8pm. Okay, there's only one of me to go around and it's all the same crap. So you take the one that sucks the least. You can quit them at any time because they're all available and always hiring.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
So, no evidence?
It's outside your door. Just look down the street.

Also unemployment 3.8%. We have labor shortage not a surplus, despite wages for the bottom 15% having risen considerably.

Where all the lines of poor laid off fast food cashiers who can no longer get work?

Old 04-16-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
It's outside your door. Just look down the street.

Also unemployment 3.8%. We have labor shortage not a surplus, despite wages for the bottom 15% having risen considerably.

Where all the lines of poor laid off fast food cashiers who can no longer get work?
If you'll re-read my post that you responded to, you'll (hopefully) see that you didn't address the issue that I raised.

Again, the proliferation of self-serve kiosks is evidence of my position. . .

Old 04-16-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
If you'll re-read my post that you responded to, you'll (hopefully) see that you didn't address the issue that I raised.

Again, the proliferation of self-serve kiosks is evidence of my position. . .
Self checkouts and the like have been in development for over 25 years. When I worked at Walmart almost 20 years ago, was when they first invested in them. Iirc it was 2006-7ish they really invested in that infrastructure. Minimum wage was 5.15 back then. The kiosks probably facilitate more orders than a human cashier.

The restaurant industry has always been about labor-saving. The fast food industry itself exists because entrepreneurs wanted to figure out a way to run a restaurant without the labor costs of the short-order cooks that dominated diners and automats. If they could get robots to do everything, they would. A one-time investment in a robot or some program is going to beat the long term ongoing cost and liability of a human no matter what the wage is, especially for these big companies.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Self checkouts and the like have been in development for over 25 years. When I worked at Walmart almost 20 years ago, was when they first invested in them. Iirc it was 2006-7ish they really invested in that infrastructure. Minimum wage was 5.15 back then. The kiosks probably facilitate more orders than a human cashier.

The restaurant industry has always been about labor-saving. The fast food industry itself exists because entrepreneurs wanted to figure out a way to run a restaurant without the labor costs of the short-order cooks that dominated diners and automats. If they could get robots to do everything, they would. A one-time investment in a robot or some program is going to beat the long term ongoing cost and liability of a human no matter what the wage is, especially for these big companies.
<<Cue heavy sigh. . .>>

Have a great day!

Old 04-16-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
<<Cue heavy sigh. . .>>

Have a great day!
Not sure what you want me to say.

The reason you aren't working a service job for $12, is the same reason everyone is not.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
Even if I do go to a fast food place, I've ordered from the app and not bothered with the kiosk.

Unfortunately some people will realize they've priced themselves from usefulness.

A business will always try to pay the least hourly wage it can to satisfy the work it needs. Apparently it worked because the person in the article I linked did take the job.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:47 AM

6,429 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:
My guess is that '@sobeatmya$$' is rendering himself unemployable due to a consistent string of bad decision.
I think your assessment of the situation is 100% correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics