Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 02:21 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,622,107 times

Advertisements

Barbara Lee is running for Senate with this promise here in California. While it may be fringe absurd at this point, I would have thought the same about $20/hour minimums for restaurants passed here recently.

For decades, we've had relatively benign inflation. Thanks in part to the Fed. Thanks in part to USD dominance and thanks in part to free trade. There was also at least an attempt to keep budgets somewhat reasonably close to inflows....whereas we don't even pass a budget now. We talk about tariffs. The industrial dominance of the US has long passed and the dollar as the currency of choice for international trade, gold and oil is slipping.

When I first started working, I made minimum wage as a kid at $4.25 an hour....or $4.15, I can't recall exactly. With minimum wage already 5X that (locally) and there really not being a plethera of new markets with tons of cheap labor anymore for free markets to develop (Mexico, then Eastern Europe, then Asia). I can't help but wonder how much I should really have saved for retirement. Is retirement going to remain an option?

Are any of you planning alternatives? I'd hoped to retire in a few years, but I wouldn't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 11:33 AM

17,614 posts, read 13,406,093 times
No more eating out for us when that happens. Also, prices for EVERYTHING will thunder through the roof!

Old 04-29-2024, 04:20 PM

17,285 posts, read 15,484,112 times
If minimum wage hits $50/hr, I better be making $500/hr.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:20 AM

3,252 posts, read 1,700,488 times
The higher the wage goes, the faster they will lay you off too in the next rounds of layoffs.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:20 AM

2,792 posts, read 1,648,265 times
A $50 minimum wage is $104K annually. I'll apply as a dishwasher, pronto.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:29 AM

8,090 posts, read 12,816,810 times
If this were ever to become reality minimum wage workers would be no better off than they are today. It would REALLY kill off the senior citizens living on a fixed pension or trying to live off their investments and social security. I just checked her bio and she majored in Psychology and social work. She probably never attended a basic economics course and has no understanding of what would happen OR she is just pandering to her political base.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:05 AM

20,166 posts, read 9,069,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
A $50 minimum wage is $104K annually. I'll apply as a dishwasher, pronto.
wash dishes for who? restaurants would all close.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:34 AM

3,252 posts, read 1,700,488 times
One thing I love about Asia is that generally cost of living is vastly cheaper than the US and they don't have minimum wage at all. You can get a meal, a ride, place to live, and entertainment all generally more affordable for all income brackets there than in the US where everything cost so much. And I've never bought anything in Asia that has a sales tax.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:36 AM

106,841 posts, read 109,092,448 times
parts of asia can be very different.

the factory my company uses for its industrial and commercial pump manufacturing in china provides housing and transportation for employees

Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM

3,803 posts, read 5,344,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
One thing I love about Asia is that generally cost of living is vastly cheaper than the US and they don't have minimum wage at all. You can get a meal, a ride, place to live, and entertainment all generally more affordable for all income brackets there than in the US where everything cost so much. And I've never bought anything in Asia that has a sales tax.
Not necessarily. I worked in Malaysia for 17 years and bought a house there. Paid taxes, managed programs, recruited students, met with government officials. Yeah, I was pretty embedded. Your comments about vastly cheaper and no minimum wage are simply incorrect.

In some places, wages are lower than the USA, and local food is cheaper. But if one tries to eat like a westerner, the prices are similar to that in the west. Cars are more expensive, with the government slapping a tariff on foreign cars to protect their own production, which are poorly built. Malaysia has implemented a minimum wage in many sectors.

Housing? Some live in hovels; others own mansions. It was in Malaysia where I first encountered generational mortgages: 50- to 60-year loans to make monthly mortgages affordable. In other words, a son and father, or mother and daughter would sign off on a mortgage together. That shows that wage growth has not kept up with the cost of housing.

People who haven't lived in Asia in the recent past are unaware of how quickly those countries have come up the income ladder. Singapore has a higher standard of living than most parts of the USA. If I were to try to live there, I would need a 15-20% premium on my USA salary. And for the most part, many expat packages are on the wane as locals can do the work as well as an expat.

Their language abilities far exceed ours. My friends and colleagues in Malaysia knew at least two languages fluently, and most knew 3 or 4. I eventually reached fluency in Malay, but if I had been a top level manager -which is what most expats are- I would have had to rely on a translator for several years before I could navigate the language and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics