Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 02:58 PM

45,464 posts, read 60,680,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Once again, everyone ignores Gen-X. Gen-X is a small generation and will have far fewer siblings to split the inheritance with.

Gen-X will inherit the most boomer wealth and probably retire early, which will open up things for Millennials.
That will be split between those generations. My kids span much of the Millennial years (1983 to 1996) not Gen X. I think you'll find that will be true for many since the parents were born during the bulge in the Baby Boom from 1954 to 1958.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 01:10 PM

3,514 posts, read 2,671,751 times
My son will be 60 soon and I hope he is in his 70s before he inherits the millions I have saved.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:39 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,859,001 times
Maybe.
The range for our daughter’s inheritance from different calculators is $zero to $12M USD.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:47 PM

7,889 posts, read 3,866,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Maybe.
The range for our daughter’s inheritance from different calculators is $zero to $12M USD.
Let's say it is on the high end. How prepared do you think your daughter will be when she inherits that large sum?

Old 03-12-2024, 02:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,149,735 times
I think the philosophy of use it up or "lose it" cause you're dead is harmful, at least for those with children. Most people as they get into their last years require family involvement of some sort or another. My grandparents are on the verge of passing, one did recently and one is not doing well, and they left nothing to their children (except 1 of the 5). So my aunt who spent years stopping by every other day got no financial compensation for all of the time she sacrificed before she was retired. For most Americans not in the top percentiles, an inheritance is a thank you for end of life support, it's not a life changing amount. At very minimum, a person should feel obligated to cover their own funeral costs.

And for those in the top percentiles, it is, in my opinion, a social obligation to pass that along socially and not blow it. Pretty much every culture has thoughts on this, including the Bible. The "we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our offspring" belief is common across cultures. According to the Navajo, one of the biggest signs someone has an evil wind / spirit / attitude is when they suddenly come across wealth and do not share any of the fortunes with the community that has helped them.

I'm not in this situation, but I think if I was in the situation where one kid was a lot more fiscally responsible than the other, I don't think I would do 50 / 50. That's an easy move because it is a default of sorts with that doesn't ruffle feathers, but I think I'd rather leave more with the child that is more likely to steward those dollars in a more responsible manner. And the realization that their behavior has altered the default might result in a change. Unspent wealth isn't necessarily wasted, it's just disinflationary.

And inheriting a lot of wealth doesn't really grant a life of easy choices. While the poor house is far away, you have a life of much more magnified decision impact than 98% of the globe.

I'm on the border of Millennial / Gen Z and I think our generation, moreso Gen Z than Millennial, would be prudent to have patience. There's a lot of inflection points and reversals that will happen within our lifetime - demographics being #1 on the list. On one hand we don't have the opportunity other generations had to jump out and start something, but on the other hand, a lot of things will eventually fall into our laps that earlier generations didn't have.

A lot of the wealth to be inherited is illiquid property and house wealth. Some will just move right into mom and dads house, but a lot will put it on the market as they already have their own roots. So what was a housing crunch might turn into a spring of listings.

Last edited by Phil P; 03-12-2024 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 03:15 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,324,126 times
Quote:
On one hand we don't have the opportunity other generations had to jump out and start something
Why not??

Old 03-12-2024, 08:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,859,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Let's say it is on the high end. How prepared do you think your daughter will be when she inherits that large sum?
Very well prepared. She will be 69.
She goes with us when we have our annual free visit with our Fidelity guy. We are very open about our financial situation.
She and her husband are putting money into retirement savings at ages 38/42.
Each grandson will get 10%. They will be 37/33. They night blow it, but I will be dead.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:58 PM

24,675 posts, read 9,493,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
CNBC reports that Millennials who have long complained about how they have the worst luck may actually turn out to be the luckiest generation in history as wealth from the top gets transferred to them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/29/weal...n-history.html
So millennials are going to be the richest generation, but have to be 60-70+ years old and wait for their parents to die off before doing so? What's the point of being rich at an age where you're too old to enjoy your youth? Anyone could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

I guess the author doesn't realize time is worth more than money.

I'm not waiting for any inheritance. I thought the article was going to cover all the creative ways millennials have made money that don't involve waiting until their parents are deceased.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:04 AM

27,622 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
So millennials are going to be the richest generation, but have to be 60-70+ years old and wait for their parents to die off before doing so? What's the point of being rich at an age where you're too old to enjoy your youth? Anyone could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

I guess the author doesn't realize time is worth more than money.

I'm not waiting for any inheritance. I thought the article was going to cover all the creative ways millennials have made money that don't involve waiting until their parents are deceased.
I agree with that.

The trick is to figure out how to make money on your own.

Way more satisfying.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:47 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
Meanwhile, my partner and I are millennials with two sets of Boomer parents who looked to their kids to be their retirement plan are are about to be in a world of hurt when they realize that we neither signed on to that nor are able to support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics