Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 04:14 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times

Advertisements

It was a phone call , I hung up but then it got me thinking this might be legit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 04:23 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
If it's a phone call, then it's a scam.

Whenever a government puts out a program to help people, they don't call everyone on their phones to let them know. Instead, they have a press event. You'll find out about it in the newspaper, the TV news, or a mainstream news website.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
I was informed that state or govt is offering credit card relief for some people who qualify

Is this true or just a scam ( I live in CA )

I’ve also heard people who make less than 250k can qualify ?

Thanks
100% scam.

Wanna know how I know?

I can write volumes about bankruptcy, which is exactly what that is and the big freaking clue is "state or govt offering credit card relief."

If your letter mentions Title 11 U.S.C., that's the federal bankruptcy code.

Isn't bankruptcy a federal thing?

Yes.

How can the State offer relief? Well, in your case, you live in California and if you file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy protection, you are allowed to use only California's State Exemptions and you are barred from using the federal bankruptcy exemptions.

In some States, you have a choice but it is an either/or option and not a mix-n-match option which means you're 100% locked into the federal exemptions, or 100% locked into the State exemptions.

In Ohio, you must take the State exemptions, but there are situations where you would be barred from taking the State exemptions and would be forced to use the federal exemptions. Having said that, Ohio's exemptions are incredibly generous. You can keep $131,500 of equity in your home and if your spouse is on the deed you actually have a $233,000 equity exemption (whether your spouse files or not and your spouse is not required to file).

The $250k thing is probably median income cut-off in California.

So, how can it be a scam?

That letter is from a bankruptcy mill. All they do is bankruptcies and maybe personal injury claims.

Well, then, aren't they experts? No, far from it.

Federal and State laws dictate what bankruptcy attorneys can charge for a bankruptcy. They will tell you whatever you wanna hear, promise you the Moon, string you along and do half-fast job because that's the only way they can make a buck in profit off of you.

Those letters are generated by computer by a company that cruises court records for recent filings.

So, there's a good chance that a creditor has filed a lawsuit against you but you have not been served with a copy of the summons and complaint yet.

Old 08-18-2023, 06:30 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

Do you remember any specifics of the call such as who they said they are or have you tried calling the phone number they used? Usually the phone number is fake.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you remember any specifics of the call such as who they said they are or have you tried calling the phone number they used? Usually the phone number is fake.
I’m sorry I don’t
I was taking care of my baby and all I remember he had a lot of poop in those pants

Thanks for the rep though

Old 03-06-2024, 08:57 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Scary. Stop taking calls like this or you are going to get burned by scammers in one way or another.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
If it's a phone call, then it's a scam.

Whenever a government puts out a program to help people, they don't call everyone on their phones to let them know. Instead, they have a press event. You'll find out about it in the newspaper, the TV news, or a mainstream news website.
Agree.

I have a VERY low trust threshold when it comes to phone calls. If you get a call in the future and you think it could be legit and you want more information, what I've done in the past is I've asked if they would mail me some material explaining the offer. I insist that I need to see terms in writing or it is an automatic NO right now. They usually say that they can't or won't, so we don't even get to a point of them asking me for a mailing address because my mailing address is not the information they want from me. They want bank or credit card numbers, so that they can try to take my money, most likely. Or even some of the relatively legit "debt relief" programs...they are not in fact a government related forgiveness thing, though they claim to be in the big colored text of their junk mail ads...the fine print will tell you they are not affiliated with any government entity. What they really are, is selling loans. They hope to give you a big fat loan to pay off your debt with, and maybe the rate is lower but the fees up front are a rip off, or whatever...they claim that your monthly payments will be reduced but one way or another you will probably end up paying more.

I don't trust them. They are not good. Really, anyone who is eager to lend to someone who has debt problems, is looking to rip you off. They prey on the desperate.

Occasionally you will get an email about a legit government debt information thing but thus far that is only student loans, and it's the Dept of Ed emailing because you have a DoE loan through a servicer who has your email address. How to check legitimacy of emails is a whole other subject.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:24 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Hey, what's your phone number? I am a government official and I have fool safe methods to reduce your credit card debt to zero balance. I'll just charge you $59.99 a month to get started. Don't delay! Your credit card bills will just keep piling up until you contact me to take care of it. Contact me now!

Old 03-06-2024, 02:04 PM

936 posts, read 423,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Hey, what's your phone number? I am a government official and I have fool safe methods to reduce your credit card debt to zero balance. I'll just charge you $59.99 a month to get started. Don't delay! Your credit card bills will just keep piling up until you contact me to take care of it. Contact me now!
I can do better than that. Call me and get 15% off using the coupon code “I’m a fool”

Old 03-07-2024, 06:56 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
I’m sorry I don’t
I was taking care of my baby and all I remember he had a lot of poop in those pants

Thanks for the rep though

When you get a call like that, remember the contents of your baby's diaper.

That should answer your question about scam or no-scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics