Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 10:14 AM

33 posts, read 42,646 times

Advertisements

I have a very analytical/obsessive type of personality. It has its pros and cons...my stepdad and I started our property biz almost 20 yrs ago. Back then I remember obsessing on our name because it didn't represent all of our services...none the less about 10 yrs ago we semi split and he focused on one of our services and I focused on the rest.

I am not really known for my name but just who to call when someone needs said services. Since we are an LLC when I got my cards made I just continued with our original name. Again I don't really focus on my biz name, however I have contemplated just getting another business name(not an LLC or any type of license) Part of me thinks it would be kind of a cool thing to do(more me) however would it be just a waste of money and more observation from the state? (I file taxes under my name as self employed) A lot of me thinks it would just be a mental feel good thing opposed to actually benefiting me, but maybe im wrong. I suppose I could advertise the original name just as much as a new name.
Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 10:35 AM

844 posts, read 418,555 times
Instead of obsessed with your business name, I'd suggest you focus on your business GROWTH which I'd suspect will be more satisfying.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:38 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Instead of obsessed with your business name, I'd suggest you focus on your business GROWTH which I'd suspect will be more satisfying.
Agreed.

OP - if you truly feel a rebrand would stimulate additional visibility or opportunity, go for it. But my guess is there areas where your time would be better spent, and you probably know what they are, but because the name is so close to your heart its easy to stress over it.

I'm a small business owner myself, fwiw.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:40 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowsIvy View Post
I have a very analytical/obsessive type of personality. It has its pros and cons...my stepdad and I started our property biz almost 20 yrs ago. Back then I remember obsessing on our name because it didn't represent all of our services...none the less about 10 yrs ago we semi split and he focused on one of our services and I focused on the rest.

I am not really known for my name but just who to call when someone needs said services. Since we are an LLC when I got my cards made I just continued with our original name. Again I don't really focus on my biz name, however I have contemplated just getting another business name(not an LLC or any type of license) Part of me thinks it would be kind of a cool thing to do(more me) however would it be just a waste of money and more observation from the state? (I file taxes under my name as self employed) A lot of me thinks it would just be a mental feel good thing opposed to actually benefiting me, but maybe im wrong. I suppose I could advertise the original name just as much as a new name.
Thanks for any input.
Life long friend quit a ridiculous high paying job to start his own business. He literally spent 12-15 months picking a name/business card logo design etc. The business is long gone but I still give him a hard time about the name (it was too nerdy, only computer geeks would get the name and to common people it was a jargon of mixed up letters).

Don't waste your time on the name of an existing business..........

Old 03-23-2024, 03:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowsIvy View Post

I am not really known for my name but just who to call when someone needs said services.I've already found some info and this article here which told me more about creating specific software, so I already have some ideas.Since we are an LLC when I got my cards made I just continued with our original name. Again I don't really focus on my biz name, however I have contemplated just getting another business name(not an LLC or any type of license) Part of me thinks it would be kind of a cool thing to do(more me) however would it be just a waste of money and more observation from the state? (I file taxes under my name as self employed) A lot of me thinks it would just be a mental feel good thing opposed to actually benefiting me, but maybe im wrong. I suppose I could advertise the original name just as much as a new name.
Thanks for any input.

Of course, the business name is important, but I think you should not spend too much time and effort on it. When it comes to business, there are many other things to be focused on, and which are more important for the customer.
And it's not a new one, so maybe it's better to see whether something needs to be improved, changed and so on, and then spend some time on creativity with names.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:33 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Price and service is what customers care about, not your name. Cool is watching your business grow.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:32 AM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Just append "AI" to your current business name.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I am a retired small-business owner and during 25 years of business I and my partner changed our name several times, while continuing to do the same thing, photography. The last name change was the most important, it defined the kind of photography we specialized in because it was the highest profit and we were experts at it.

For big corporations there is a lot of expense to changing their name, signage is expensive for example. We paid several thousand to remake our lighted sign with our new targeted name, it was not a completely new name, just more narrowly focussed on what we specialized in. It took us years to get to that point, would have been better to get there sooner (targeting using our name) we would have made much more money.

Before changing your name you need to buy the dot com website name even if you don't use the web for business.
You don't want anyone else using your name.
When we retired other people in our business area tried to get our website domain and I'm still paying the annual charge so they will never get it.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
1) go to your business registration site (usually sec of state)
2) add a DBA (doing business as)

Done deal.

Get back to serving your clients and growing your business.

I have several DBAs in my (7) LLCs.

Be reasonable, and sometimes Stealth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics