Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 06:52 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

My nieces are now professional women with advanced degrees and they love her and go to her concerts. My neighbors traveled 3 hours to go to her recent concert and proclaimed she puts on fabulous shows. One of my nieces has scored backstage passes twice and got to meet her.

I think it's great. Good music, dancing, singing, fun. Fans are willing to drive the drive, pay the money and be in those huge crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 07:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
I'm happy for her. I'm also impressed that she avoided the FTX lawsuit by asking whether the securities were registered:
https://www.investopedia.com/taylor-...awsuit-7482729

Old 07-14-2023, 07:50 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I'm happy for her. I'm also impressed that she avoided the FTX lawsuit by asking whether the securities were registered:
https://www.investopedia.com/taylor-...awsuit-7482729

I guess she listened to her father during dinner table talk.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
It just reminds me how out of touch I am with the typical "pop culture indoctrinated" individual, LOL. I suppose it's no different than going to any other event. I've never been one to celebrity worship though. To me they are just people, like everyone else. That the entire American population via social media are basically "plugged into" or "assimilated" into our culture in this manner and that so many can become fans of an individual to me is a fascinating look into human nature and psychology along with our evolution. I guess I find that stuff interesting.
Yes, I think the social media today has made a huge difference. I remember paying $3-5 to see acts like Led Zeppelin , Santana, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull at places like Fillmore West and the Berkeley Community Theater as a teen and young adult. There was never any problem getting tickets, even at the door.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:53 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You know you've become extraordinarily big when economists can measure the effect of your concerts on the economy! I wonder if anybody ever did this to Beatlemania in 1964?
Barbers hated Beatlemania.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:13 AM

13,687 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You know you've become extraordinarily big when economists can measure the effect of your concerts on the economy! I wonder if anybody ever did this to Beatlemania in 1964?
I read a book on the Beatles and at their peak they could have easily done similar numbers, but the technology wasn't there. In 1964 the sound equipment wasn't powerful enough. But the Beatles certainly had a big enough fan base to sell out stadiums despite the US population being considerably smaller at the time.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:51 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, I think the social media today has made a huge difference. I remember paying $3-5 to see acts like Led Zeppelin , Santana, Pink Floyd, and Jethro Tull at places like Fillmore West and the Berkeley Community Theater as a teen and young adult. There was never any problem getting tickets, even at the door.
It was a different time. My friend attended a lot of shows for free in the San Francisco Bay area in the 1960s since the musicians felt they needed to perform in front of people to get better at their craft (it worked.)

I might not "get" a lot of musical acts but if people enjoy them and the returns are positive, what is wrong with that?

Taylor herself isn't perfect but we live in an age of zero privacy where fame is not as alluring as it used to be.

Her generating income is great. The music industry has been a mess since the Internet age started....

Old 07-15-2023, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 2,697 times
I would like to attend a concert of a singer one day...not Taylor's...but another one...

Old 07-15-2023, 08:12 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know, that's darn cheap and easy. Back in the 70's we nearly got crushed getting into a concert at a stadium with festival seating, a free for all in terms of where you sat/stood, but the tickets were more than $5 I'm sure. That was terrifying so glad that isn't done anymore.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:24 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I would love to see Taylor in concert but her tickets are so expensive that I doubt that I ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics