Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2023, 11:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
In Canada, it's more common to have South Asians doing blue collar work. You definitely see them a lot in trucking and taxi driving, and as agricultural labourers (although those might often be temporary migrants rather than permanent residents), private security, retail, and even in manufacturing they're decently well represented.
I did not see any in Montreal. Maybe Quebec has a different policy regarding migration.

I want to go to Toronto this summer. I will be on the look out. The last time I was in Toronto, or Vancouver is the 90s and I was a child. I too did not notice too many South Asians back then either. And yes I was aware enough back then.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 12:24 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I did not see any in Montreal. Maybe Quebec has a different policy regarding migration.

I want to go to Toronto this summer. I will be on the look out. The last time I was in Toronto, or Vancouver is the 90s and I was a child. I too did not notice too many South Asians back then either. And yes I was aware enough back then.
It's funny you should mention Toronto. One of the most high-profile people in Toronto is Nav Bhatia, aka The Raptors Superfan. He moved to Toronto in 1984 to escape anti-Sikh riots in India.

India has plenty of deadly cultural, religious, and class violence. I'd venture to say that most people who move to North America from there, laugh at our brand of micro-aggressive prejudice that passes for racism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nav_Bhatia

Also, many of the Canadian truck drivers interviewed during the Anti-Mandate protests were Indian. And the show on the Weather Channel with the heavy tow truck drivers on the 401 features some Indian rig operators.

Old 04-27-2023, 01:22 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It all boils down to skimming off the top from various countries through visas (tech) and other programs not to mention motivation.

Not a big shocker that people with STEM degrees that want to work will do really well in the US regardless of country of origin.
Per the bolded --- Tell that to the Americans who were laid off and replaced by H1-Bs. These Americans more often than not end up being unemployed for a long time. Part of that is that many H1-Bs came from India and eventually got green cards. They are now in positions where they hire people and end up blatantly discriminating against non-East Indians.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:41 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Guys, there's literally a billion people in India and they have their own quota for immigration to the US. Last I heard from friends the wait is like 18 years or something absurd and times are going up instead of down. If you can have stable living, especially in high cost areas like the Pacific Coast to get to the 18 year mark to actually get citizenship....it's likely that you have something going on that's working out pretty well. Unlikely you're going to get citizenship and run for the divorce court and the kids....well, they're pretty much grown after 18 years.

Not saying there aren't tremendous positive aspects of Indian culture, but this video is really skewing facts. This is not a normal cross section of Indian family....from India...performance vs anything. They ones that got into the USA were freaking smart and diligent, and it shows in the ending stats of people that are smart and diligent in this country. Nobody's going to tie up 18 years of their life to go check groceries at Wal-Mart.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:26 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
How often do you see Indian Americans make excuses racism prevents them from being successful in America. I have seen Indian Americans who are coal black and they do not have a chip on their shoulder and they are usually successful. Whites are not against people because of their skin tone. Its their character and actions. Only a few ignorant whites hate people who are of a different skin color, etc. What can expect from ignorant dumb people. Anyway all immigrants can learn a lot from Indian American immigrants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eMLAFV4cx8
He makes some good points in the video. But I think it's a good idea not to brag about the success of any particular ethnic group or nationality.

Drawing attention like that has historically caused a lot of resentment and problems in society. We need to remind ourselves there is good and bad in all people and races. No human is perfect.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:32 PM

22,449 posts, read 11,972,828 times
For post #14 ^^^^ Did you know that there is lots of fraud and corruption in the H1-B visa program? Lots of fake resumes are submitted and they aren't caught during screening. So...someone gets in due to fraud and once they start their jobs, it becomes abundantly clear that they are incompetent. In many cases when they go to school for IT in India, the instructor hands them a textbook and tells them to memorize it. There's more to IT work than memorizing a textbook.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:57 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It's telling that you interpreted that video to be reflecting on skin color. The video is discussing why Indian immigrants have so much success compared to Americans.

Neither you nor the video address the fact that those who have the means to immigrate from India to the US are those who have relatively well to do parents with respected social standing, have a solidly funded education or generational business experience, and have a safety net of returning to a financially secure home if they don't make it in America. Only the uniquely well positioned people have the opportunity to come here from India (and since India has a population of 1.4 billion people, even that number seems large to us).
Could it be that the more energetic and smarter are the ones who immigrate here, if not being pulled in by the promise of benefits?

Old 04-27-2023, 04:21 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Korean communities get creative with their financing (traditional actually)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-f6914e21f5c9/

Dong Il Ahn will soon walk out of a festive dinner with $20,000, tax-free, interest-free, and he knows exactly what he's going to do with it. He's going to pump it into yet another new mom-and-pop Korean American business in the Washington area.

Dong Il Ahn will invest the money in Ahn's Upholstery in an Alexandria shopping center. This is the sixth business he has started from scratch since he arrived in the Washington area from Korea 18 years ago.

Such a track record would be an astonishing achievement for any entrepreneur. But Ahn is doing it without any business school degree, with a limited knowledge of English, and without the help of banks, savings and loans or government agencies.

Ahn is a classic example of how Koreans in the Washington area are using a creative financial technique adapted from their homeland to help launch one of the most spectacular growths in small business creation of any American ethnic group in this century.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:43 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Guys, there's literally a billion people in India and they have their own quota for immigration to the US. Last I heard from friends the wait is like 18 years or something absurd and times are going up instead of down. If you can have stable living, especially in high cost areas like the Pacific Coast to get to the 18 year mark to actually get citizenship....it's likely that you have something going on that's working out pretty well. Unlikely you're going to get citizenship and run for the divorce court and the kids....well, they're pretty much grown after 18 years.

Not saying there aren't tremendous positive aspects of Indian culture, but this video is really skewing facts. This is not a normal cross section of Indian family....from India...performance vs anything. They ones that got into the USA were freaking smart and diligent, and it shows in the ending stats of people that are smart and diligent in this country. Nobody's going to tie up 18 years of their life to go check groceries at Wal-Mart.
Can you please post a link about Indian immigration limit TO the US. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:50 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Tell that to the Americans who were laid off and replaced by H1-Bs. These Americans more often than not end up being unemployed for a long time. Part of that is that many H1-Bs came from India and eventually got green cards. They are now in positions where they hire people and end up blatantly discriminating against non-East Indians.
Standard rhetoric. Have you been on the hiring side in IT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics