Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 02:18 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times

Advertisements

So why would Rocket Mortgage, who is working on writing a loan for a condo that is under contract in a building where I'm the HOA President, ask me to lie about the # of units that are short term rentals?

There are 8 units, individually owned. 4 of them are currently active on VRBO, and another 2 are more seasonal as short term rentals. Our busy season is winding down here.

One of the "Triple Crown Bankers" at Rocket Mortgage literally asked me, when presented with the above info:

"Are you able to reply back and let us know there are less than 3 that you know of as the President of the HOA?"

Why would a lender give a chit about whether or not other units in a building were primary residences or rentals?

They're essentially asking me to lie about something in order to write the loan, unless I'm missing something. Shady?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 09:45 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
So why would Rocket Mortgage, who is working on writing a loan for a condo that is under contract in a building where I'm the HOA President, ask me to lie about the # of units that are short term rentals?

There are 8 units, individually owned. 4 of them are currently active on VRBO, and another 2 are more seasonal as short term rentals. Our busy season is winding down here.

One of the "Triple Crown Bankers" at Rocket Mortgage literally asked me, when presented with the above info:

"Are you able to reply back and let us know there are less than 3 that you know of as the President of the HOA?"

Why would a lender give a chit about whether or not other units in a building were primary residences or rentals?

They're essentially asking me to lie about something in order to write the loan, unless I'm missing something. Shady?

Because it’s a riskier loan for them. Rentals, particularly short term rentals, are risky because the owners are more likely to default on a rental than their primary residence is their financial situation worsens. If your city decides to ban airBNB like some across the country have, that will leave your HOA in a tough spot. It is shady or the lender to ask you to say that if you’ve already answered that question, but this is a problem you are likely to encounter with all lenders.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:30 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Because it’s a riskier loan for them. Rentals, particularly short term rentals, are risky because the owners are more likely to default on a rental than their primary residence is their financial situation worsens. If your city decides to ban airBNB like some across the country have, that will leave your HOA in a tough spot. It is shady or the lender to ask you to say that if you’ve already answered that question, but this is a problem you are likely to encounter with all lenders.
Excellent answer.
Also the HOA president will the the one left holding the responsibility when that mortgage defaults.
Mortgage mankers get bonues for each mortgage they bring in and end of year BIG bonuses and travel, etc.

Qualified mortgage borrowers are fewer than before because of the increase in rates and prices of properties went up in Covid, many people can't qualify for a mortgage IOW. So lenders are seeking out anyone possible to bend the rules.

Old 11-22-2023, 10:10 AM

4,933 posts, read 3,044,617 times
JP Morgan, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo just downgraded; stating U.S. Gov. capacity to service debt is now weaker.
Not a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics