Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 11:41 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,966,724 times

Advertisements

Anyone else get the feeling that massive amounts of cashout refis are what's holding this economic house of cards together? With the crazy low rates we saw the last 2 years and all these people refinancing as their house prices went up is it crazy to think people started treating the house like a piggy bank to pull out an extra $50k and that's what they've been really living off to offset inflation costs or why so many people decided to drop out of the workforce?

How long before that money dries up and people find themselves in situations they can't afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 01:12 PM

1,655 posts, read 781,274 times
Could be — people that bought a house say 2 years ago might have $150k in extra equity now so they borrow against it. Some of those loans might be variable rate too so the payment keeps rising. If prices of everything keep rising I would think that money will be buying less and less.

Old 06-07-2022, 02:36 PM

11,179 posts, read 16,063,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that massive amounts of cashout refis are what's holding this economic house of cards together? With the crazy low rates we saw the last 2 years and all these people refinancing as their house prices went up is it crazy to think people started treating the house like a piggy bank to pull out an extra $50k and that's what they've been really living off to offset inflation costs or why so many people decided to drop out of the workforce?

How long before that money dries up and people find themselves in situations they can't afford?
Didn't you yourself take a cash-out refi within the last couple of years?

And now you think that it's crazy that people were treating their houses like a piggy bank and the market is going to come crashing down because others did what you did?

Isn't there a word for that?

Old 06-07-2022, 07:14 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,103,657 times
I got a letter from my bank last month explaining how great a cash out refinance would be for me.

My current rate is 2.5%… their proposed refi rate was 5.2% and the repayment was the same - only a 30 year term instead of 15

Old 06-07-2022, 08:33 PM

956 posts, read 513,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

And now you think that it's crazy that people were treating their houses like a piggy bank and the market is going to come crashing down because others did what you did?

I sure did not and never have and never will. I have no mortgage on my home and 100% equity. But I own my home outright free of all obligations except the annual property tax bill and want to keep it that way.

Its exactly the same stuff that got us into 2008 mess. Nothing was learned. People treating their homes like piggy banks again. Its going to blow up eventually!!

Old 06-08-2022, 04:13 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,966,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Yes I did. The difference is I reinvest that money to earn a higher rate of return then it’s actually costing me so that money doesn’t run out it grows vs the average person who uses it to buy their new $60k Ford bronco, or have a pool installed, or stop working. Huge difference.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:26 AM

26,199 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Yes I did. The difference is I reinvest that money to earn a higher rate of return then it’s actually costing me so that money doesn’t run out it grows vs the average person who uses it to buy their new $60k Ford bronco, or have a pool installed, or stop working. Huge difference.
Good for me, not for thee. Solid justification as you have no idea what the other people would be using their funds for or what their rationale is

Old 06-08-2022, 08:31 AM
KCZ

4,694 posts, read 3,706,886 times
Deja vu all over again. People don't learn from past mistakes.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:47 AM

26,199 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Folks cash out refi’s were not the cause of the 07-09 financial crisis, not even close

Old 06-09-2022, 04:32 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,339,529 times
People spend so recklessly and yet I'm supposed to feel sympathy for them and want to bail them out. First it's 401K loans, next it's equity refinancing. Then there's credit card debt and student loans. I'd love to see a deflationary implosion to teach human being a lessons about excesses that previous generations were taught, but these days we vote ourselves more bailouts and pork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics