Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 02:51 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
We do need to purge - but you got the wrong group. We need to purge the "woke" that think they can tell others what they should do - at this point a good rally would be the best way to do it - help everyone including those at the bottom.

It is really heartless to wish pain on so many to get what YOU want.
Woke is social, not economic. You can't "purge" a social movement. You can let it fade out from lack of interest, change of fashion, or rise of new issues, which is probably already happening. I only hear the term "woke" used by conservatives as a pejorative. What they used to call "politically correct."

I want housing prices to go down, which will help more than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 03:26 PM

899 posts, read 540,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Woke is social, not economic. You can't "purge" a social movement. You can let it fade out from lack of interest, change of fashion, or rise of new issues, which is probably already happening. I only hear the term "woke" used by conservatives as a pejorative. What they used to call "politically correct."

This is not quite true. Woke thinking is now heavily imbued throughout the education and government sectors. The Biden administration is pushing DEI extensively, and what the government mandates, HR officials everywhere follow.

If you want house prices to go down, build more houses.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:55 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
This is not quite true. Woke thinking is now heavily imbued throughout the education and government sectors. The Biden administration is pushing DEI extensively, and what the government mandates, HR officials everywhere follow.
Yeah I've been looking at some college job announcements and they were certainly filled with a lot of DEI gibberish. If were an applicant I don't even know how I'd address WTF they were looking for it was so thick. I didn't even know what some of the terms meant, and I'm pretty liberal on race. To a large extent DEI has become a kind of dogma that has lost meaning. Such is the fate of many educational fads.

But again, how is that economic?

Quote:
Wouldn't that be lovely? We haven't built enough houses to keep up with demand since 2008. Not sure how they're going to ramp it up now with both labor and material shortages.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-23-2022 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 05:07 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,623 times
I hope not. 2023 isn't going to be a great year in general.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't think we get that far.

My guess is Q2 GDP is negative, meeting the technical definition of a recession.
Article today pointing out that Microsoft, Apple, Amazon—-many of the businesses that have gone down in stock price are putting $hit load of their cash reserves into raising pay, hiring more people, building up company infrastructure in expectation of going to new heights
So they must not be too worried

And big fish eat little fish…

Old 05-23-2022, 11:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

It’s not just MORE homes
It’s more affordable homes

Old 05-23-2022, 11:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

The woke agenda is very much economic - things like taxing the rich, increased taxes on businesses, support green agenda, restricting oil drilling and pipelines, enhanced unemployment benefits, $15 minimum income, not jailing those that commit crimes, defunding the police, supporting illegal immigration, etc - these are all economic impacts. Woke was originally mostly social but now it is seen as the agenda of the left.

You seem to not understand, housing prices will go down as demand drops - demand will drop as people are less able to afford them - so that is essentially wishing most are not able to afford, lose jobs or pay, just so you can buy a house. If you want a house, buy what you can afford now, not wish that most cannot after the economy tanks.

My original house had a mortgage of almost 17% - that was when owning a house was painful.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:55 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

It’s not just MORE homes
It’s more affordable homes
If build more homes, more homes will be affordable. Supply and demand.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:38 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Before it was fueled by more free cash than anyone could possibly have imagined...think Trillions of $$$ a couple of times recently.....the stock market was a somewhat reliable leading indicator of difficult economic times to come.

Right now it is trying to suggest that we are going to have a doozey of a slowdown in the next 6 months to a year.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:53 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Saw something very weird yesterday. I run through a beach RV resort almost every day. Over the past couple of weeks the lot has slowly been draining of RV's, and now is 90% empty. I've never seen it with so many vacancies, except possibly during he depths of COVID. This is especially strange because the week before Memorial Day is usually the high season. There might be a couple of vacant parking spaces, but certainly not the majority.

Furthermore, this time of year usually marks beach season when the freeway fills up with beachgoer traffic every day and especially nearing the weekends. However, it's been smooth sailing. Again, looking a lot like the depths of COVID, but without the COVID.

The same goes for local restaurants. This is usually the beginning of the high season, but when we walked downtown to have a beer, it was a ghost town during the usually-busy weekend. Weather was nice. No reason people shouldn't have been out, but they just weren't.

These look like grassroots leading economic indicators to me. In a couple of weeks maybe the market will sniff it out. A month or two after that the news might catch on. Anyone else noticing a change in the behavior of your fellow humans, that looks like the recession is already here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics