Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 07:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times

Advertisements

Hospital and insurer make deal ,so you could pay less than what they charge others.
Once I went for regular checkup at a local hospital,they said after initial X ray exam,they have nothing to compare the results to,so they suggest MRI,they found something,then they said dont worry,just go home.
Then they sent the results to my doctor who is affiliated with the hospital and recommend biopsy,doctor is all for it and recommend a surgeon,surgeon said no problem but just to be safe,get a biopsy.
round and round we go,so I set up an appointment for biopsy,but the radiologist and labs are farmed out ,so now hospital wants to be prepaid for use of their facilty and I have no idea how much the radiologist and the lab would cost?
The day before the exam,hospital called and asked to be paid preferably bank transfer,not credit card,when I ask what about the rest,she said she does not know but she has studied my insurance policy,after this procedure,I would exceed my deductible and they can charge my insurer.
I understand hospital needs cash ,one thing leads to another,I am just a vehicle for them to get some badly needed cash from the insurance company who has deep pocket ,so I cancel the whole damn thing.
that was 20 years ago,I am still here and healthy.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:09 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,185,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Does anyone think it would be a better idea to cancel Medical Debt rather than Student Loan Debt?

If Equality and diversity were the goal, wouldn't Medical Debt cancellation fit the bill better?

No, and obviously you're grossly misinformed about both.

Old 04-23-2022, 03:14 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
College is now free in ny for the middle class wage earners

https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-...or-scholarship
Quote:
The Excelsior Scholarship covers any remaining gap in tuition expenses, after other federal and state grants and scholarships are applied, up to $5,500.
And even then this covers tuition only.

If you live next to a CUNY/SUNY campus and can commute, that could very well make college "free" for one. But if one lives a considerable distance from a CUNY or SUNY campus and has to rent a place, I wouldn't call college "free" for them room and board would be required. Still, a pretty good deal if you qualify for it, IMO.

Old 04-23-2022, 03:16 PM

7,861 posts, read 3,850,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I agree. We need an education system which teaches basic financial analysis.
I'm not sure many teachers in the public K-12 system are capable of financial analysis; if they were, they probably could get jobs actually doing financial analysis (for much higher compensation) rather than teaching K-12.

Old 04-23-2022, 03:16 PM

106,771 posts, read 108,997,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And even then this covers tuition only.

If you live next to a CUNY/SUNY campus and can commute, that could very well make college "free" for one. But if one lives a considerable distance from a CUNY or SUNY campus and has to rent a place, I wouldn't call college "free" for them room and board would be required. Still, a pretty good deal if you qualify for it, IMO.

School is free …

What your own personal situation is , is going to vary.

In our case our kids walked to the college it was so close .

In my case when I went I had more than a 1 hour subway ride to ccny

Old 04-23-2022, 03:24 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Quote:
School is free …

What your own personal situation is , is going to vary.

In our case our kids walked to the college it was so close .

In my case when I went I had more than a 1 hour subway ride to ccny
School may be free. As I quoted from the Excelsior Scholarship site you posted:

Quote:
The Excelsior Scholarship covers any remaining gap in tuition expenses, after other federal and state grants and scholarships are applied, up to $5,500.
I attended school in NYS and got in-state tuition. My parents did not earn over $125k a year at the time. While the Excelsior Scholarship wasn't a thing at the time, point is that we didn't qualify for grants like Pell and others directed toward low income residents. Our bill ended up being more than $5,500 a year for tuition.

Full-time tuition at CUNY for in-state residents is almost $7,000 a year. At SUNY, I think the fees are similar, albeit slightly higher.

But, even then, that's only tuition. If you're required to have health insurance and pay that premium and pay into a student activity fee (as you are at SUNY and I'd imagine at CUNY, too . . . student fees at SUNY at $1,740 a year), then I'd add those costs that to the cost of attending such schools, too.

Mandatory fees to attend the school (tuition, insurance--if your parents' don't have insurance of their own that transfers to you, student fees, etc.) may end up being "free" under this scholarship if your parents earn enough below $125k a year to qualify for certain automatic federal and state merit aid (or you get outside scholarships) where the $5,500 Excelsior Scholarship makes up the difference. But many won't find themselves in that situation.

Still, as I mentioned, it's still a good deal. I just don't know if I'd say that school is inherently "free" for NYS residents under this program.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:33 AM

Anything under 7-8k is a bargain in the college world and really not bad …..

The problem is when kids and parents run up 6 figure debt.

Our kids were about 5k a year ..even two kids at that price involved no debt for us and we were not high earners at all back then

Old 04-24-2022, 06:49 AM

3,297 posts, read 1,423,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
In Canada the average cost of college tuition to a student is $6500 CAD per year, or $5200 in U.S. dollars.

The average cost of a Covid-19 hospital stay in Canada is $23,000 CAD (18k USD). In the U.S. it is $73,000.

How are they able to do that, and we are not? Why does the U.S. suck at delivering basic services?
I don’t think the cost of college tuition in Canada is $5200 USD….that is what the students pay. The cost is likely much higher, and the difference between the cost and what is paid is presumably made up by the Canadian taxpayers. Based on the politics of the people who post here, I don’t think you will find a lot of support for adopting a Canadian style system to finance education in the US.

Old 04-24-2022, 07:06 AM

3,297 posts, read 1,423,067 times
Quote:
I would rather see cancer patients have medical debt cancelled vs education debt cancelled .

Education debt is a choice , cancer isn’t
Smoking is a choice. Would you suggest cancelling debt for individuals who have smoking related cancers? Lack of exercise and eating a healthy diet are choices. Would you suggest canceling debt for individuals who have coronary heart disease because they don’t live a healthy lifestyle?

Old 04-24-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Smoking is a choice. Would you suggest cancelling debt for individuals who have smoking related cancers? Lack of exercise and eating a healthy diet are choices. Would you suggest canceling debt for individuals who have coronary heart disease because they don’t live a healthy lifestyle?
Doing preventative things to not get sick is no guarantee you won’t ….

Many many get cancer and don’t smoke while many who do never get cancer .

Only about 10-20% of smokers get Lung cancer …sure there are others who get other things smoking related but it is still the minority .

People die in car accidents too and driving is a choice ….being in an accident is not a choice . One may have done more to avoid one but having one is not a choice .

So Actually getting cancer is something else and choosing to get cancer is not a choice , education debt is a choice

So that is a poor argument

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-24-2022 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics