Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 07:48 PM

520 posts, read 3,923,616 times

Advertisements

Was wondering when you go out shopping, are you using
your credit or debit card or both?

With all these CC having rewards and whatnot, it makes sense
to use your CC to rack up the points and rewards.

I was reading this article and it got me thinking, should I just not be using my debit card anymore?

In what situation would you use your debit and not credit card?

If you go to the grocery store, is it credit or debit?
What about gas station?
A quick run to a store for a $30 purchase?
Drive thru for a coffee or lunch?

Are you using your credit or debit card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 08:05 PM

17,640 posts, read 15,332,280 times
If you pay your CC off every month, it certainly makes the most sense to use it always.

From a merchant standpoint, there's a tipping point where it makes more sense to go debit vs credit.. But not really from a consumer standpoint.

Unless, you get money for debit purchases, which I do. I get a dime each time something goes as debit. So, do the math there, under a certain value, it makes more sense to do debit than credit. I don't know the exact terms on it, USAA debit card, i'm sure the rules are out there somewhere... vs, I think, 2% cash back on my credit card with them.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,030 times
Have no credit cards. Use debit card only.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,066,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Have no credit cards. Use debit card only.
Whoa, living on the edge there.

Compare liability of credit versus debit cards.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:18 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,791,548 times
CC everywhere, debit card never.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,071,841 times
Credit card over debit card. Every time.

I only have a debit card to withdraw cash from the ATM, and given the rare occasions that I use cash, I am thinking of getting rid of even that. I might lock the debit card in the household safe and ignore it.

I use my credit card for every purchase over $1.00

Old 12-20-2021, 08:45 PM

Interesting comments.

For the longest time I was a debit card for the small stuff and use the
CC for the big purchase.

Just recently I signed up for a new bank account.
Got my new CC and I asked for a debit card as well.
I think they even asked "You want a debit card too?"
The banker looked at me like I was joking, it wasn't rude, more of a funny look.

So that interaction got me thinking about debit vs credit.

Have I been doing this all wrong?
How many rewards and points did I waste by using my debit card, LOL

Old 12-20-2021, 08:51 PM

640 posts, read 452,478 times
Agree with 509's post about liability. If you have an authorized charge to your CC, chances are high that you won't have to pay for that. By law your max. liability is capped at $50, as I recall, and many banks won't charge you even that. Plus, you have all sort of consumer protections for a CC purchase. Presumably, you also earn cash back on the purchased.

As an example, somebody I know had charged $50 by mistake, and the merchant won't even talk to them about a refund. But when the charge was disputed with the CC co., it was refunded.

By contrast, your debit card charges -- authorized or not -- are typically irreversible. So there is no reason to ever use a debit card other than in an ATM.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Agree with 509's post about liability. If you have an authorized charge to your CC, chances are high that you won't have to pay for that. By law your max. liability is capped at $50, as I recall, and many banks won't charge you even that. Plus, you have all sort of consumer protections for a CC purchase. Presumably, you also earn cash back on the purchased.

As an example, somebody I know had charged $50 by mistake, and the merchant won't even talk to them about a refund. But when the charge was disputed with the CC co., it was refunded.

By contrast, your debit card charges -- authorized or not -- are typically irreversible. So there is no reason to ever use a debit card other than in an ATM.
Interesting.

I just always thought for A, B, and C purchases you use your debit card.
If it's a X, Y, or Z then you use your credit.

I've spent this evening googling when to use your debit vs credit card, LOL.

No wonder the banker looked at me funny

Old 12-21-2021, 05:06 AM

106,878 posts, read 109,133,761 times
No debit card ever used to make purchases…only credit cards .

I am not going to depend on a banks good will to give me back my money if the bad guys used a non visa or master card network with your info .

You do not have true zero liability with debit cards …the fine print in the zero liability guarantee says so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics