Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 12:55 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You go ahead and keep tilting at windmills. I’ve no desire to get sucked into your nonsense any more than I already have.
Yes, it does seem unlikely that men with PhDs in economics would be inclined to admit that they have gotten middle school algebra incorrect for 75 years. But more consumers may have to throw away more garbage for GDP to keep going up. Maybe Zoomers will notice.

https://mishtalk.com/economics/mille...ith-their-turn

How many PhD economists are under 35?

Old 12-18-2021, 09:44 AM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog....=9780674025721

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_waste

https://carro.sg/blog/cars-designed-...-obsolescence/

Have you noticed that this can affect the planet you live on? Economists I have talked to come across as technological morons. All that matters is the money that gets passed around buying junk.

But we should worship Adam Smith's book, Wealth of Nations. Heaven forbid that we should read that he said, "read, write, and ACCOUNT".

How did we get, "read, write and 'rithmetic?"

Have the economists noticed the difference?
So it seems like your angle is environmental right? So how does not including depreciation in GDP numbers lead the negative outcomes for the environment?

I feel like we are playing a game now of me asking questions and you not answering them but I am game for it.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, it does seem unlikely that men with PhDs in economics would be inclined to admit that they have gotten middle school algebra incorrect for 75 years. But more consumers may have to throw away more garbage for GDP to keep going up. Maybe Zoomers will notice.

https://mishtalk.com/economics/mille...ith-their-turn

How many PhD economists are under 35?
What algebra have they gotten incorrect?

Old 12-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
What algebra have they gotten incorrect?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/62521396-post5.html

Old 12-18-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
So it seems like your angle is environmental right? So how does not including depreciation in GDP numbers lead the negative outcomes for the environment?

I feel like we are playing a game now of me asking questions and you not answering them but I am game for it.
Regardless of whether or not there is planned obsolescence, durable consumer goods wear out and therefore depreciate. If planned obsolescence does exist then we have unnecessary manufacturing and pollution.

Economists have no excuse for totally ignoring demand side depreciation since WWII, they have just been doing it without saying. A few people with economics degrees I have talked to don't even know. We go to school and memorize what is in the books and assume it is complete and correct.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Regardless of whether or not there is planned obsolescence, durable consumer goods wear out and therefore depreciate. If planned obsolescence does exist then we have unnecessary manufacturing and pollution.

Economists have no excuse for totally ignoring demand side depreciation since WWII, they have just been doing it without saying. A few people with economics degrees I have talked to don't even know. We go to school and memorize what is in the books and assume it is complete and correct.
So what? Who cares if depreciation isn't in the equation? I'm not a lover of GDP for other reasons. I don't see any importance to yours.

I've come to believe that you want GDP lower and the economics to look poorer because you feel more durable goods is better for the environment. Is that your angle? Reduce GDP by depreciation to encourage the use of longer lasting products?

Oh and they aren't making an algebra mistake. They just aren't using the data you want them to. But why should they? You haven't explained that

Old 12-18-2021, 02:47 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
The economic power game we have involves people who think they are smart wanting most people kept ignorant.
Exactly what are you talking about?

Old 12-18-2021, 02:53 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
I brought this over from a thread about someone trying to get a job in Information Technology.

It was just a specific case of dealing with economics. So I decided to stop being off topic.

Economists have been ignoring the depreciation of durable consumer goods since WWII. The Laws of Physics do not care about economics. Machines wear out and therefore depreciate. Economists don't tell us that they have been ignoring the depreciation of durable consumer goods for decades.

What is NDP?
Can economists do algebra?

NDP = GDP - Dcap
Real NDP = GDP - (Dcap + Dcon)
Dcap = Depreciation of Capital Goods
Dcon = Depreciation of Consumer Goods

GDP = Grossly Distorted Propaganda

Economic Wargames: How the economic model is unsustainable and enslaving.
iEconomists arent Fin Analysts nor Accountants. Forecatsing and Modeling has absolutely nothing to do with Accounting. Especially fixed asset accounting. So what convo are you trying to have with the forum exactly?

Old 12-18-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
So what? Who cares if depreciation isn't in the equation? I'm not a lover of GDP for other reasons. I don't see any importance to yours.

I've come to believe that you want GDP lower and the economics to look poorer because you feel more durable goods is better for the environment. Is that your angle? Reduce GDP by depreciation to encourage the use of longer lasting products?

Oh and they aren't making an algebra mistake. They just aren't using the data you want them to. But why should they? You haven't explained that
What is science?

We have the terms political science and social science and people argue about whether or not economics is a science but you are willing to refuse to observe phenomenon and throw away data.

This makes sense to you? Like there is no difference between a banana and an air conditioner just because they are both called consumer goods.

Old 12-19-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
What is science?

We have the terms political science and social science and people argue about whether or not economics is a science but you are willing to refuse to observe phenomenon and throw away data.

This makes sense to you? Like there is no difference between a banana and an air conditioner just because they are both called consumer goods.
Im trying to figure out what kind of a person writes like you do. What is going on in that head of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics