Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Who really cares? Tourism does not bring wealth to the local economy, manufacturing does. Hospitality employees are low-paid and most of that tourist cash goes to big corporations who own hotels and attractions, and local governments. The other thing is that the Euro will be falling in the future as well. Florida is definately going to suffer.
How so if the ECB is standing pat on rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:36 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Plenty of people from these parts (Texas) still heading to Florida - the beaches and Orlando.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
yep its guna hit tourism big time. here too.
2/3 of US economy is consumerism. high gas prices spell the end. greed has a way
of doing that, destroying itself. that is the bad news, the good news, bunch of guys on camels with single shot rifles won't get into much trouble.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
The Europeans and Canadians will save us. We have to count on it.
They always have when it come to tourist dollars. The average European gets much more vacation time than most Americans do and the resorts have always courted them heavily.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
How so if the ECB is standing pat on rates?
The Euro is not going to falling anytime soon. Not as long as Bernanke and Co are running trillions and trillions of new dollars off the printing presses.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The Euro is not going to falling anytime soon. Not as long as Bernanke and Co are running trillions and trillions of new dollars off the printing presses.
It was my understanding that several EU countries want out of the deal. I am thinking of long term, in the future.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
anyone have any data comparing year over year for tourism in Florida? Maybe also broken down by regions in Florida would be good too.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I live near the FL panhandle and once a year I take a vacation to eastern Tennessee. I usually rent a vehicle anyways, so this time I may go to Hertz and rent a Prius. Gas prices won't affect my vacation.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Florida has a booming economy with probably the lowest unemployment rate in the country. Last I heard, it was around 2.7%
4.9%(p) in Mar 2008

Local Area Unemployment Statistics Home Page

That's a funny looking 2.7%.

Quote:
Looks like what we have here is another bone-headed "internet economist." I got my economics degree from the University of Cincinnati, where'd you get yours? Peel it off of a bottle of Budwater did you?

The undisputed facts are that during the 8 years of the Clinton Administration the annual currency inflation rate was 2.9%; during the Bush Administration to date; 2.9%; since 1974 it's averaged 3.9% annually.

What that means in layman's terms is that $100 in 1974 would be worth only $27 today.

Since 1974 the currency inflation rate in the United Kingdom has been 6.3%. That means ₤100 is now worth ₤9.

So, if you think the Federal Reserve is doing such a poor job, why don't you trade them for the UK's central bank? How about Spain or Italy where the central banks has done such a fantastic job that between 1980-2000 the Peseta and the Lira lost 70% of their value?

I know, you're really jealous of Romania's central bank. Since the introduction of the Leu Greu in 2005 the annual inflation rate has been 14%.

It looks like you proved your point that Bernanke & Co are denying you and other Americans your god-given right to suffer hyper-inflation. I'm sure Ron Paul or Congress could a better job and guarantee an inflation rate of at least 22% per year. You won't mind living in a card board box and eating Ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

And contrary to your misinformed beliefs, the Federal Reserve does not and is not authorized to print money, only the US Treasury Department can do that, or did you never read the US Constitution?

Quote:
During fiscal year 2007, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) produced approximately 38 million notes a day with a face value of approximately $750 million.
That would be about $2.73 Billion per year, a far cry from the trillions and trillions you claim, but it seem you forgot or were never aware that the Treasury Department also destroys $Millions in currency each day.

The US$ is weak against the Euro because Russia and more than 60 other countries have dumped their US$ reserves and no longer buy or sell anything on the world market in US$.

Japan no longer buys its oil and natural gas from Iran in US$, it pays in Yen, and China has negotiated a deal with Iran to buy oil and natural gas in Yuan instead of US$. That will probably start June and the US$ will nose dive again.

When OPEC switches to basket currencies, the US$ will bottom out at $0.42 = €1 and that's where it will stay, unless the US starts invading countries to take over their oil, natural gas and minerals.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
We were vacation in FL last summer. And there was an astounding number of UK people vacationing there. The shops all over orland/kissimmee area advertise they sell British foodstuffs. Our hotel advertised direct flights from Cardiff, Wales.
I have been told that the British are also buying much of the real estate there. And own several of the large golf courses in and around Orlando. So I think the economy may be bolstered a bit by foreign investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics