Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 05:15 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You are looking at a $2,000 pair of tennis Shoes -made in america
If I can buy a Lucchese alligator belt made in Texas for 300$ this country can make some sneakers under 200 bucks. Don't be absurd. The greedy corporate slobs at the top are feeding too much on cheap overseas labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
The average American wouldn’t last a day in a factory in Asia. I know because I’m an average American and I spend a lot of time on factory floors in Asia. In fact that’s where I’ll be two hours from now.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:47 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
If I can buy a Lucchese alligator belt made in Texas for 300$ this country can make some sneakers under 200 bucks. Don't be absurd. The greedy corporate slobs at the top are feeding too much on cheap overseas labor.
Yep. I own 5 pairs of boots and they were ALL made in the USA- Justin, Lucchese and I forget what other brands. The Luccheses were $500 but they're ostrich. I've had the Justins for over 10 years and still get compliments on them from perfect strangers.

I'm sure you can make sneakers in the USA for $200 but maybe the big-shot athlete endorsing them wouldn't get as much and neither would the company execs.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:10 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
I am a big proponent of Made in the USA stuff. I wear Redwing work boots, Keen hiking shoes, Rocky winter boots, Carhartt work pants/winter jackets, etc. All Made in the USA. It does sometimes take some effort to find the US made versions, but usually not much more money. The only things I own that I can think of that were considerably more than the comparable import versions are my Bunn coffee maker and my Kitchenaid mixer. They are nice appliances though.

I don't have any Made in the USA sneakers, but if I did they would probably be some New Balance ones. https://www.newbalance.com/made-in-us-and-uk/

Last edited by bfrabel; 07-09-2020 at 06:22 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 06:22 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
If Nike started making Jordans in the U.S. it would increase black employment but probably not in the way intended. There’d be a spike in the number of black guys selling black market Jordans at half price on the streets. Not a bad result actually because instead of the fat cats getting all the profits black marketeers would be getting them instead.

So it goes.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
At one time dozens of companies made men's dress shoes in the US. There are two major companies (Allen Edmonds & Alden) left in the US and another smaller company (Rancourt) in Maine. Allen Edmonds makes high quality men's dress shoes in Wisconsin with over 200 steps in the process to make each shoe and Rancourt does the same in Maine. They sell for about $300 per pair. Alden is higher priced, but they have always been the best men's shoes since the late 1800's.

There are plenty of men's dress shoe makers in the UK selling their products for about the same amount of less, sometimes half that price. I mention the UK because the countries are identical as far as manufacturing.

Nike could make tennis shoes here in the US for less than that. They manufacture in Asia because they are greedy and they could care less about the unemployment problems here.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:28 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:

At one time dozens of companies made men's dress shoes in the US. There are two major companies (Allen Edmonds & Alden) left in the US and another smaller company (Rancourt) in Maine. Allen Edmonds makes high quality men's dress shoes in Wisconsin with over 200 steps in the process to make each shoe and Rancourt does the same in Maine. They sell for about $300 per pair. Alden is higher priced, but they have always been the best men's shoes since the late 1800's.

There are plenty of men's dress shoe makers in the UK selling their products for about the same amount of less, sometimes half that price. I mention the UK because the countries are identical as far as manufacturing.

Nike could make tennis shoes here in the US for less than that. They manufacture in Asia because they are greedy
In your chosen employment, do you try to make as much as you can, or as little as you can?

Quote:
and they could care less about the unemployment problems here.
Tell us all about what you're doing to alleviate unemployment here in the states.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:31 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I'm all for making stuff in America, but come on people.

The textile, garment, & apparel industry has ALWAYS chased tbe lowest cost labor. China has been getting too expensive for them for a while now, so they moved to countries like Vietnam, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Egypt, etc... It's not worth $15 an hour to pay a textile worker, but it's not even worth $5 an hour to pay Mexican or Chinese workers.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:42 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
In your chosen employment, do you try to make as much as you can, or as little as you can?
To a certain extent, yes, it's a business decision and, unfortunately, most consumers have voted with their dollars for the cheapest product. If it falls apart in less than a year, well, go back to Wal-Mart and buy a new one.

I have a problem when other factors, such as human rights, pollution, etc. go out the window. Look up the prosecution of Uighurs (a Muslim minority) in China, many working at forced labor in those factories. Chick out the "official" Roman Catholic church in China, heavily run by Communist Party officials and not recognizing the authority of the Pope. I am neither Roman Catholic nor Muslim but I still have problems with lack of religious freedom. The Rania Plaza fire in Pakistan was in a firetrap building with people working for piddly wages in dangerous conditions. Disney-branded clothes were found in the rubble.

This is why I rarely buy clothing, shoes or boots on-line unless country of origin is specified and I'm OK with it.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 AM

936 posts, read 2,082,521 times
There is no need to makes shoes in the US. We just need to limit unskilled labor immigration into this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics