Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:44 PM

756 posts, read 835,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Do you know any self-made millionaires? And if so, what are the most consistent traits that you see among them? We're talking about people who were able to go from being a member of the middle class community, to becoming a millionaire. Do you find that there's any general commonalities among people who were able to achieve millionaire status?
But why can't we talk about homeless people becoming millionaires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:49 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,930,457 times
Quote:
How does it feel to be a millionaire?
It feels like I can earn $30,000 a year in interest. Well, a little more because I have more than $1 million. Add that to Social Security and I might be able to retire.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,874,491 times
Over the years I have worked side by side with a lot of self made millionaires and while there was no common thread, one of them told me something at lunch one day that had a ring of truth to it. He said, "You will never be a millionaire" and when I asked him why, he said "Because you are too nice of a guy.....to make money you have to be a SOB and not care about other people."

While there are exceptions to that, most of the rich guys I knew got there because they did whatever it took to accomplish their goal ,and if people got in the way, they didn't let emotions stop them from moving ahead.

Don

Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,930,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
So you can live a pretty middle class life and easily be a millionaire. The only question is how much of that was really self made and how much was getting a dream job that provided the opportunity?
Self-made just means he or she didn't inherit it.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:52 PM

493 posts, read 443,792 times
Hi OP, a millionaire is just a regular member of the middle-class nowadays. Being a millionaire is NOT equal rich. Being rich is at a whole different level (at least 10+ millions). I know many millionaires and, heck I am one, but we are just average joe with average jobs, average car and average house. Nothing special. Just work 9-5, save wisely and spend consciously and you will be a millionaire soon or later. No inheritance. I got $2000 dollars and an used car from my parents after high school graduation. "You are a grown man, get a student loan, a college degree and then a job. Or do whatever you think is best to you." That's it. Nothing worth talking about, really.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 PM

45 posts, read 40,409 times
I have been homeless and I have worked for minimum wage and now have over a million. It isn't that hard, I just went to college while working full time then worked hard and saved my money and invested.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:12 AM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Do you know any self-made millionaires? And if so, what are the most consistent traits that you see among them? We're talking about people who were able to go from being a member of the middle class community, to becoming a millionaire. Do you find that there's any general commonalities among people who were able to achieve millionaire status?
I know of 4.

#1. Single gay male engineer. Typical engineer. Earned a good salary. Had a solid, middle class lifestyle, but nothing fancy. Not having kids obviously helped. Saved 15% or more of his income in 401K and other vehicles (savings bonds, etc.). Paid off house early. Retired at 58 with corporate pension with about $1M net worth (not including value of house). Is now probably worth at least $2M 12 years later. Hasn't even needed to dip into the 401k the last time I talked to him. Still drives a 30 year old economy car.

#2. Single, late 50s gay finance guy in California. Got MBA. Worked as a chief financial officer in several different companies. Most recently a biotech company. Borderline workaholic. Rented a 2BR condo until he was nearly 50 because he spent more time working & travelling than he did at home. Bought a townhouse near the peak of the real estate bubble in 2007, but it didn't really hurt him that much because he could afford it. This being the SF Bay Area, I'm sure its value has more than recovered....but he bought it as a place to live, not as an "investment". Still had hand me down dishes in his 40s (partly because he ate out a lot). Told me his liquid net worth was over $1M back in the late 1990s. I'm sure its more now. Same deal as #1--nice lifestyle, but nothing too flashy. He did break down and buy a used Jaguar that he paid cash for. Is in late 50s and still working to the best of my knowledge (we haven't talked in a while).

#3. Married hetero couple of 2 (now adult) kids. Now in their early 70s. Lived in the same house for many decades. Husband has an MBA. Started as accountant & went back to school at night to get MBA...was also in military reserves 2 weekends per month for 22 years and gets pension from that. Wife was stay at home mom for quite a few years but did do secretarial and administrative work when kids were older. Wife quit working in her early 50s. Husband retired at 60. Many folks wondered why these people didn't buy new cars every few years and why they lived in a more ordinary, blue-collarish, suburban neighborhood. They didn't want to buy up to the limit of what the bank would lend them. They paid off their house in 13 years. Bought cars new, but always paid cash. Ordinary cars, nothing flashy. Drove 'em for 8-10 years until they weren't worth fixing.

#4. Single gay male, 62. Works in IT. Makes good, but not great, money in IT, but is always doing side gigs building stereos for well off folks, as well as fixing cars, etc. Does like to spend money on concert tickets, entertainment, eating out etc....but always socks away a decent amount, too. #4 is probably the most reckless of the group. Got in a lot of car and bike accidents. Doesn't do well in office politics. But seems to just be able to power through a lot of difficult situations through sheer will. He has F'd up a lot in his personal life, and sometimes his work life (gotten fired from more than one job), but did not dwell on his failures. He just moves on quickly. Hit millionaire status (not including house) last year. Wants to work until age 70 or until his portfolio hits $2M. Could retire now and be ok if forced, but he is interested in living a somewhat more spendy lifestyle and is ok with working in order to have it. Enjoys cycling. He feels like he's the poor one in the group. Apparently lots of guys who are into cycling are very well off. Also, having $1M in the SF Bay Area is more common than other areas, so it's not considered a lot of money by many in the upper middle class crowd here.

#1, #2, & #4 all live in the SF Bay Area. #3 live in a relatively moderately priced metro area on the East Coast (i.e. not NYC, Boston, or DC).

Common characteristics:

--Earned above average, but not necessarily extravagent, incomes. #1 & #4 never hit 6 figures. #4 is over 50K but far from 100K at his day job (although the side gigs have helped him a lot).

--Have "ordinary nice", but not flashy, cars & houses.

--Prioritize saving. I'd guess the engineer probably had the highest overall savings rate. This is very typical of engineers, so no surprise there.

--Didn't move or change cars very much...Generally all were pretty stable financially, emotionally, etc. Like I said, #4 is the least stable, emotionally speaking, but a killer work ethic and a decent savings ethic have compensated for it.

--No divorces or kids out of wedlock. None of the gay men were particularly good at relationships, but they also avoided major relationship drama...(i.e. did not play "sugar daddy" in their relationships, didn't let other guys rip them off or suck them dry financially, etc.). They also didn't live in denial about being gay, as many men their age did...so they didn't do the (hetero) Marriage--Kids--Come out of the closet--Divorce thing like many others of the age 55+ gay male crowd did, Kids are expensive. Divorce, even more so.

I will also say that while money is a good thing, it's not a magic happy pill. 2 of the 3 gay men have dealt with depression and other mental health issues (depression rates are off the charts for gay men, unfortunately, and are high for single men, more generally). One of them copes more successfully than the other. Just my opinion, but I think his belief in God (even though he's not churchgoing religious) and regular exercise help. The one who doesn't successfully cope with his depression is an atheist who doesn't exercise regularly (and won't go to therapy, either).

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-01-2015 at 03:07 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 02:45 AM

106,839 posts, read 109,092,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It feels like I can earn $30,000 a year in interest. Well, a little more because I have more than $1 million. Add that to Social Security and I might be able to retire.
that is about all it feels like . it feels no different than the income we got while working because that is all it represents to us , what it can generate .

Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I know two. One f*cked his business partner over the coals and as a result was able to expand to 11 stores. The other was talented and starting making jewelry on the side and it turned into a very large mail order business along with a store front. I honestly don't see any similarities. One was greedy, the other talented
The one commonality is that neither spent everything they made.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
The question implies middle class is below $1MM in assets.
That's because it is. It's tiresome to hear people say $1M is the new middle class when only around 10% of households have $1M net worth (and that includes home equity).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics