Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My point is most of his generation did not have the option to avoid military service unless they fled the country and I know some families that did just that... they went to Canada.

When the pre-med student was faced with the draft... he was given the option to delay his service to complete medical school or report as ordered now.

He choose school and when he was done... reported for duty.

In his own words... his military experience forever changed his views... in just about every aspect... he was a Doctor, much the same as if he was back home working for a large hospital... he had housing for his family and regular work hours...

Also, he never thought about practicing overseas... turns out he was sent to Germany and said it was some of the best times of his life... imagine that... serving in the military, raising a family in a distant country and that being some of the best days of your life?

For many... military service was the only way to pay for higher education, buy a home, etc... it opened an entire new world of opportunities...

The sad thing today is many complain about lack of opportunity and yet... are unwilling to take the path that provides those opportunities...
Why is it a sad thing that people are sticking to principles even at personal expense? Maybe these people do not agree with the war or with what the military is doing.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 PM

807 posts, read 897,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why is it a sad thing that people are sticking to principles even at personal expense? Maybe these people do not agree with the war or with what the military is doing.
My takeaway was that it's rather telling when the few remaining opportunities (if the anecdotes are right) are all with the government, that the private sector either lacks opportunities that pay better than the government option or that it lacks opportunities at all whatsoever.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Case in point...

Two years ago I advertised on Craigslist a 3 bedroom home for rent in Oakland for $1500 including water and garbage...

3 students applied and they became my renters.

The reason I bring this up is the experience showed me their still are young people living their dream and making it work..

The youngest was 18 and from Colorado... she was the oldest of 5 children and always told everyone she was going to California after High School... the week she graduated... she packed her possession into a 1982 car and headed to the only person she knew in California... the older sister of someone from her high school.

Within 2 days she had a job waiting tables in San Francisco and within a month... had answered my ad... she had no parental support... was on her own and she also enrolled in the local community college where she met two other students and together I rented to them...

Ages 18 to 23... NO BAD CREDIT... all were working and going to school... it cost them $550 a month with utilities and internet for housing... only one had money from home... the other two were on their own... she could make her rent and expenses working just weekends and would pick up extra jobs during the holidays...

So here is young lady of 18 and she is paying her own way and going to school and supporting herself... she now had a much better job waiting tables and the tips are great... also, SF requires employers to offer Health Insurance in many cases and minimum wage is higher too...

It is not all doom and gloom out there and yes... there still are people that follow their dreams...

Fast forward... she finished a program on sustainable living and is now in Fiji with the Peace Core seeing the world...

http://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/

Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Only sad when people say those that came before had is easy and at the same time are not willing to make the sacrifice they did...

Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
My takeaway was that it's rather telling when the few remaining opportunities (if the anecdotes are right) are all with the government, that the private sector either lacks opportunities that pay better than the government option or that it lacks opportunities at all whatsoever.
Been that way since the late 1940's... nothing new here.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
The thing I don't like about this statement is that it implies that it is either easy to move and you move or it is not easy to move and you don't move. There is a large group of people that don't find it easy to move, but understand it is necessary.
It's easy to determine intellectually that you need to move, but it's a hassle and can be very expensive for a family. People will make up all kinds of excuses - the kids are in school, the parents are old and need them, the house isn't in the condition to be sold or won't be sold, no matter how much validity those excuses have. People will often just muddle through the best they can rather than cause a major life disruption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nor did anyone suggest that absolutely all young people should enlist. NOR did anyone suggest that the military is the best way for all young people to get a decent start in life. Wow - the words people try to shove into others' mouths, and then argue about what they didn't even say to begin with...

The military is an option that SOME people should consider before racking up tens of thousands of dollars of student debt - or even if student loans aren't an issue. The military can offer a very fulfilling career, or a few years of a job, and many people have misconceptions about it or don't fully think through their options.
People should enlist because they want to serve, then the benefit comes as a perk of serving. People should not serve expressly for the benefits.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Case in point...

Two years ago I advertised on Craigslist a 3 bedroom home for rent in Oakland for $1500 including water and garbage...

3 students applied and they became my renters.

The reason I bring this up is the experience showed me their still are young people living their dream and making it work..

The youngest was 18 and from Colorado... she was the oldest of 5 children and always told everyone she was going to California after High School... the week she graduated... she packed her possession into a 1982 car and headed to the only person she knew in California... the older sister of someone from her high school.

Within 2 days she had a job waiting tables in San Francisco and within a month... had answered my ad... she had no parental support... was on her own and she also enrolled in the local community college where she met two other students and together I rented to them...

Ages 18 to 23... NO BAD CREDIT... all were working and going to school... it cost them $550 a month with utilities and internet for housing... only one had money from home... the other two were on their own... she could make her rent and expenses working just weekends and would pick up extra jobs during the holidays...

So here is young lady of 18 and she is paying her own way and going to school and supporting herself... she now had a much better job waiting tables and the tips are great... also, SF requires employers to offer Health Insurance in many cases and minimum wage is higher too...

It is not all doom and gloom out there and yes... there still are people that follow their dreams...

Fast forward... she finished a program on sustainable living and is now in Fiji with the Peace Core seeing the world...

Volunteer Opportunities | Peace Corps
Maybe that young lady has a lot of student loan debt, however.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Wiggers View Post
What advantages does moving have?
Being willing to move is often the key to getting a good job. You have to be willing to go to where the work is.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What if you live in a place with a strong economy already?
That's great, IF that area has jobs available in your field. But if it doesn't, a move may be necessary. Likewise, climbing the career ladder often requires a move or two along the way.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
And actually I can make more money living at home than I could by moving. Look:
80k texas - (3000 mortgage x 12 = 36000) = 56000
60k Bay Area hmmmm...
So where's your mortgage figure for the Bay area? And if you're renting in the Bay area rather than owning, why are you looking at a mortgage for Texas rather than apartment rental costs? You have to compare apples to apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics